Songs palette and preset list don't display

hillbilly

Inspired
Love the app, but when I try to display the songs palette and preset list nothing happens. Well, an indication of another MFC-Edit window appears on the task bar, but that's all. I move the main window around thinking new window may be behind, but no joy. I've imported the preset list from Axe-Edit (file name shows at the bottom of the main window) and I have plenty of songs and sets in the sys-ex file. As I move off the Songs and Sets tabs the task bar icon disappears, as it should. I will say that the songs palette did display once, but no more. I've tried both from the Tools menu and automatically in Preferences.

Running MFC-Edit 5.2 using Java 8.40 on a Windows7 PC.

From the MFC-Edit Release Notes:

Windows 7.1 with NVIDIA cards:

If you experience screen or window refresh/drawing problems running MFC-Edit with Java 1.8 (any Java application, not just MFC-Edit) on Windows 7 with an NVIDIA Graphics controller in your PC, here are some steps you can follow to remedy:
  1. Right-click on desktop and click NVIDIA Control Panel
  2. Select 'Manage 3D Settings' in the left pane
  3. Select the “Program Settings” tab in the main window
  4. Click 'Add'
  5. Navigate to your java folder (C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_20\bin) and select javaw.exe and press 'open' (this step will probably depend on your operating system but should be pretty easy to find)
  6. Where it says 'Select the preferred graphics processor for the program' click on the drop-down and choose 'High Performance NVIDIA processor'
  7. Click 'Apply' in the bottom right and you're good to go

Sorry, none of this seems to apply. It's a laptop running Intel integrated graphics, not an NVIDIA card, and there's no provision for adding software. Java is installed in my C:\Program Files(86)\ folder (it's a 64 bit machine) and javaw.exe doesn't open at all. I suspect I'll have to reinstall Java. Will MFC-Edit's dependency be broken with a new Java installation?

Happy 4th!

Still no joy. I uninstalled Java, took your link and re-installed. Still get the palettes on the task bar but no windows. There must be some incompatibility with my system. Not a deal-breaker, but the palettes sure are a nice idea. The frustrating thing is that they worked one time.

Wait! I think I know what it is! MFC-Edit remembers the last "state" and "position" of all of its windows so when you reopen them they appear on the same monitor, in the same position and the same size. So if your machine rebooted when the windows were minimized, they'll remember that and start up minimized - check on the toolbar and reopen them. Also, if you had more/different monitors (displays) than you have now, and the last time you used MFC-Edit you closed the windows when they were on a monitor that you no longer have connected, then they are "appearing" on the missing monitor so you can't see them. I'm sure it will be something like that. Poke around - that's what it will be. Maybe double-click the toolbar icon when its open - if its minimized that should redisplay it. I'm sure it will be something like that.

That's what I figure as well. The windows are simply vanished, tho. Running a laptop, single monitor, can't call the windows from the task bar at all. Even changed screen resolution hoping they would show up off the edge somewhere. I know I didn't drag them off the screen, I learned that lesson long ago. *Something* opens, the task bar tells me so, but the palette windows exist in some other dimension somewhere. Lol. I appreciate your time, MFC-Edit's a great product, and this is only a minor annoyance. I only use an editor for my MFC maybe twice a year...all my on-site quick changes are made in the unit. Thanks!

wtf-smiley-animated-030.gif Did you try the Help->Reset Everything option and then immediately exit and re-launch? That should do it. That will reset all the "remembered" parameters in MFC-Edit, except the installation location (mfc-home) and release-notes-read state.

Last edited:
That did it! A reset and a re-config brought the palettes back again. Now I know what to do if it happens again. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom