Song from my band's upcoming EP

Okay, my honest opinion. Let me say first that this is far better than I can do, ever.
So I'm commenting as a listener, not a player.

First bars (bass) I thought: Yeah, finally something different.

Than the high-gain guitars kicked in .... etc. And in the end I think: overproduced. Too much gain, gimmicky effects, rifs in the same key all the time, not enough "song" and identity. This stuff could be some much more raw(k) if less polished.

Then again, maybe millions of people will like it. :)

Sorry for the honest review.

BTW. The "before" in "Miss it before" seems out of key to me the first 2 times.

Cool thanks for the honest review.

Its funny you mention "too much gain"
I felt like i barely had any on the guitars. Its cool though. I do appreciate the opinion and honesty. :)

Nice track! I personally don't think anything is over-processed at all actually, just about right imo. Guitars sound good, and I also agree that they could have more gain, but I think it fits perfect for your style either way. Best of luck!

Sounds good.
I would:
bring the vocals down in volume or blend them a bit more. (very little imo)
the guitars dont need more gain but could be a bit fatter,
same goes for the bass guitar. mess with the eq to make them resonate more.
I think it will sound awesome in the final mix.
Also, listen to your mixes on as many stereos, car stereos and headphns as you possibly can. :)
Thanks for sharing, definitely will be checking you guys out.

Really like it.. maybe just a little more agressive tone on guitar but I think it kicks ass...

sound (guitars/bass): great.

song arrangement: go straight from the end of the beginning riff (0:37) into the song (1:02)

more backup vocals included during halftime feel (open my eyes wiiiiiide)

I'm not saying this because you guys screwed anything up, I'm saying it because I see the song and your band with potential, and people (listeners, fans etc) have short attention spans for the beginning of a song. Quicken it, and you grab them.

If I didn't like it, I wouldn't have said anything (check out my posts. I rarely talk).

I liked.......I agree Vocals a hair too hot......but good effects. A have nice Event monitors and to me vocals seemed a little bright too.......maybe just the volume adjust would solve that.
Not trying to be a dink at all, Its better than what have done so far. :roll

Cool song. I agree with Yek on the vocals being noticeably off key here and there. If you can afford it I recommend a copy of Melodyne. It will let you see the notes missed and fix them.

The mix is pretty red bookish, and I don't mean that in a bad way I guess, it's just louder than I expected it would be. Did you personally master this?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the comments and feedback!!! It really helps me on my mixes to know from others what they think. I'll work on the vocal parts a bit still before we put out the EP. I agree they are a bit "hot"

Did you personally master this?

Yup sure did. This is going to be the first EP/record/anything that i have ever done. I tried to master it around -10 db
I've mastered songs louder, but i'm shooting for -10

Back
Top Bottom