Someone please help put my mind at ease?

gimik

I've noticed that many of the Axe users are "hi-gain guys". Googling the internet, I also have the impression that the Axe is known to have nice hi-gain capabilities. Please confirm, that modern guitar sounds is not a priority for FAS and that they also work hard on clean and crunchy stuffs. It would be a shame if the Axe became a "metal stuff" or something. Just my paranoia? :? :)

There's plenty of fender type cleans and crunch type amps in the axe. Even "hi gain" amps can be tamed by messing with the advance parameters.

I'm about as far from being a metal player as one can get. Cleans and varying levels of OD this side of metal mayhem are where I live. For me that is what the Axe is all about.....and I don't feel like there is anything I'm missing. The Axe II covers it all.
I agree that a lot of the activity and noise seems to focus on the metal bands that use the Axe. Sometimes I feel that is a bit skewed, but only from a 'media buzz' perspective. The Axe II and it's capabilities are NOT metal focused in any way that really matters to me.

I think the forum is more "high gain" based. But that's just what people chose to focus on and talk about. The axe covers it all. There have been a great deal of high gain amps added just recently in the last few firmwares. Until then there were MUCH more clean and low gain amps than there were high gain.

I'm primarily a jazz player, and I've used the Axe so far for jazz gigs, acoustic guitar, electric and upright bass, and some crunchy/bluesy sounds occasionally for the song that calls for it. I also do play in a couple rock bands (where I use the Orange, JCM800, and Friedman amps) and even a prog/djent metal project led by a saxophonist (!). I love having one setup that does it all, and does it all well without any compromises.

The Axe does it all. The unit is probably the most versatile piece of guitar gear i've ever used and I've tried them all. No pun intended, but the high gainers and us old school types live in harmony here.

I generally live in the mild breakup space with some cleans and some mid-gain tones. Receiving kudos about my tone has become a regular occurrence the last few months. A favourite combination for me is the Super Trem (Supro 1964T) and 15" Thunderbolt speaker.

Terry.

Yes, the majority of POSTERS tend to be high gain guys.

However, that doesn't mean that Fractal *focuses* on the high gain models. All the amps are subjected to the same amount of attention to detail.

I spend most of my time on the Marshall (Plexi and 800) and AC30 models, they're excellent.

I've been playing for 35+ years. One of the best things about the AxeII is that you can not only get a great clean tone, you can get a huge variety of clean tones. I think people tend to think about the vast spectrum of overdriven sounds, but there is also a wide range of clean tones out there. The AxeII can do so many of them beautifully.

High gain gets the attention because that sector of the user base is more active online. Especially the 7 string br00talz guys. Imo, it was much more difficult choosing a clean and a crunch from all the amazing options than a high gain sound. I attribute a lot of it to the periphery guys, who have always been extremely active on the forums. When an active forum member starts getting big, the people using the same gear tend to be forumites.

Check out some of Xavi's recordings with the ultra. Unbelievable low-mid gain and cleans... And even strings, brass, and woodwinds!

From what I can see, I think that FAS has perhaps put more effort into high gain, primarily because the most vocal users and the most famous endorsers/users are mostly high gain. However, that does not mean that I, a 'clean to breakup' Fenderish/Riveraish kinda guy has been left without great models. And the best got WAY better with 9.0 and the great Super Reverb model. I also use the Axe on viola, vocals, percussion, flutes, all kinds of stuff, to great effect!

Most here are absolutely nuts about tone... all tones... you're 100% covered with the very best in amp sims regardless of styles.

As a pop/ copy muscician I use alot of clean crunchy as well as overdriven sounds. The AXE covers it all

I even use it with my saxophone(Tenor and soprano) as an effectsunit. And it does a great job here also.(No amp sim and cabs of course. Will try the tone match come to think about it)

AAEN

I love high gain sounds, but with the Axe-FX I find myself rolling down that volume knob and really digging in for those "edge of breakup" tones. I've discovered that the unit is so detailed, every bit of fingernail and callous can be heard. A few tweaks to the "Shiver LD" amp, for example, can produce wonderfully bloomy finger tones whose distortion can be easily controlled with the guitar's volume pot. I can report that having access to those sounds has really opened up some doors in my playing.

Back
Top Bottom