Someone please explain this to me

msintros

I have just started creating my own presets and I have come across something I just don't understand when trying to make clean sounds. I have these two presets, one (Double Verb) is one I downloaded and the other (New Clean) is one I created. As far as I can tell the settings are identical (more or less), use the same amp, same cab, yet Double Verb is very clean and New Clean is very distorted. I'm trying to figure out where the distortion is coming from in New Clean. Also, I'm trying to figure out how to upload these here so people can even help me and I don't see the option.

I think it’s ten posts before the forum lets you upload.

Meanwhile, “more or less” identical isn’t the same as identical. If you let us know the differences, that would be a major clue.

Maybe one preset has a Drive block engaged and the other one doesn’t.

Thanks. I just figured out what the critical difference was. In the Power Sply tab, the Supply Sag had a very small value instead of PA OFF. Apparently any value here at all makes the difference between some of the clean amps being completely clean or completely distorted. Not really sure why it defaults to having that turned on when you create a new amp, but oh well. Live and learn.

Thanks. I just figured out what the critical difference was. In the Power Sply tab, the Supply Sag had a very small value instead of PA OFF. Apparently any value here at all makes the difference between some of the clean amps being completely clean or completely distorted. Not really sure why it defaults to having that turned on when you create a new amp, but oh well. Live and learn.
Supply Sag should normally be on with some value and not PA OFF.

That value turns off Power Amp modeling for the amp.

As @unix-guy said, any value of Supply Sag that's not PA OFF will turn on power amp modeling in the Amp block. Most people leave that on, because it adds body and depth to the tone. The real magic in the Twin Reverb is the power amp being pushed just to the edge. If you want less distortion, you can reduce the Gain.

Basically none. And it's because the PA is off. If I turn it up at all it starts distorting.
I think you need to download and reinstall factory presets.

Something is not right...

I would suggest doing that as well as resetting system settings.

What are you using to monitor the output?

Basically none. And it's because the PA is off. If I turn it up at all it starts distorting.
The PA is not off in the factory Double Verb preset. If that's really Fractal's version of the Double Verb preset, then that preset has been edited.

Yeah I'm actually in agreement that something isn't right. I checked and the Double Verb does have a bit of Supply Sag and it's pretty clean. I can turn it up quite far without it distorting. With my other preset that's identical in every other way if I turn it up at all it starts distorting. As far as I can tell every single other setting is the exact same now.

OK it looks like it's letting me attach files now. These two should basically sound the same as far as I can tell, but they don't. New Clean definitely gets crunchy if you pick hard. The modded Double Verb stays pretty clean no matter how hard you play.

Attachments

• Double Verb Mod.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 9
  • New Clean.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 8
OK it looks like it's letting me attach files now. These two should basically sound the same as far as I can tell, but they don't. New Clean definitely gets crunchy if you pick hard. The modded Double Verb stays pretty clean no matter how hard you play.
Download the factory Double Verb preset. Not a modded Double Verb or your own preset. You'll find Sag set to 2.60, and it'll play clean.

I actually just figured out something. The reason the factory Double Verb is cleaner than my modded version has nothing to do with the sag, it's because the factory version has the compressor which attenuates the input signal enough to keep it from driving the amp hard enough to go crunchy.

I actually just figured out something. The reason the factory Double Verb is cleaner than my modded version has nothing to do with the sag, it's because the factory version has the compressor which attenuates the input signal enough to keep it from driving the amp hard enough to go crunchy.
Discovery! But I think you'll find it's more than just the compressor. The Double Verb can definitely go clean. The clean tone is like a hallmark of that amp.

Back
Top Bottom