Somebody stop me! (getting my MASK on) ... Boogie MK V Combo

Perhaps this is just me. I believe there's totally a time and a place for a small tube combo over an Axe rig.

However (and bear in mind that I'm a big boogie-dude), I also believe that if you already own an Axe Fx, buying a super versitile top-shelf combo seems redundant. Any small gig I play (that I'm not willing to haul my axe fx to) - a Fender Hotrod can handle.

Just me.

had a MK V combo. it was a bit of a bear to dial in but once i got used to it, sounded great. heavier than my axefx gig too. I'd go for a head/cab, had issues with tube rattle in the combo. too much $H!+ packed into that little package. personally, if I was gonna go back to mesa, i'd take a hard look at the Petrucci signature boogie. or why not an ax8 with clr. can't get any smaller/versatile than that

I have a mesa dual rectifier, triple rectifier, mark iv and mark v. I love them, I saved for them and they were my pride and joy but the reality is that once I got the axe fx and started to really get the hang of it, I literally never turn the other amps on. And I have been a tube nut for years.
Plus one on this.

Yep. Boogie combo's are back breakers. My mark IV was originally a combo with the really heavy EVM12L speaker in it. The whole thing was over 80 lbs. To save my back, I converted it to a head and moved the speaker into a 1x12 thiele cab. Much more manageable and better, tighter bass from the separate cab.

I have a Lazy J20, a Bogner Shiva and a Bogner Duende. I recently bought the AX8 and I've spent ages tweaking it with an A/B footswitch to recreate the sounds that I'm used to using. The pre-loaded sounds are nowhere near but after a few weeks I'm really close. I reckon I could get all the way there if I knew what all the controls inside the blocks really do. I'm running the AX8 direct through two QSC K10s. Plugging them into the desk first is not as good as it adds a harsh upper register, even when the channel EQ is flat. Has anybody else tried this and maybe saved patches? How about advice on sending these sounds to FoH?

I can't imagine that anything is easier for "grab & go" than the AxeFX if there's a PA available to plug it into.

I see this is an older thread that has been resurrected. I'll throw in my two cents in case someone is currently facing the same dilemma: I have the Axe II XL+ and a Mark V head, running through a 4x12 cab with Celestion Vintage 30s. Both the XL+ and Mark V are amazing on their own. I'm still dialing-in the pair of them, and so far I'm only using the effects on the XL+ with the Mark V. It is delicious.

If I could only have one? Easy: XL+. But, why limit yourself? *horns appearing on top of head* That's what credit cards are for... It's why we work 9-to-5 jobs. It's why Ramen noodles exist. So we can have stuff.

Nice thing about a tube amp? No option paralysis. Plug it in, crank it up and go. However, I also do the same with the XL+. I haven't felt the need to tweak every parameter; 99% of the time, I can just plug the XL+ output into the effects loop return of a tube amp, dial up any modeled amp, add a touch of delay and it's there. No deep diving needed. But, if you want to - you can. All day. Ha! The Mark V has three channels with three separate and different tones on each, making for nine amps in one box. Yes, the XL+ has 250+ in a smaller box. With effects. And cabs. And mics. But really, how many of you would even bother to take 9 amps to a gig, let alone 250+? However, I am a fan of excess. And nothing says "excess" quite like wretched excess! *insert pic of Joe Bonamassa's gear here*

I went to an outdoor festival this past summer and the "house" backline was two Mesa Mark V half-stacks. Sounded great. I went to see A Perfect Circle last year and James Iha was pure Fractal... no amps at all. Phenomenal. My point? Guitar players obsess about their tone. The audience they play for just want to hear some great tunes. Would guess an overwhelming majority don't know or care what gear you have, as long as your band doesn't suck. Ha! Yes, we snobby guitarists will check out your gear from afar and discuss your under-use of compression or over-use of reverb. Some will drool over your gear and say to themselves, "Someday..."

I'm the weird guy who actually bought the Mark V for its CLEAN tones. It is amazing. For me, best clean sound I've ever heard: Channel 1, "Fat" setting. Magical. I thought the head through a 4x12 cab sounded much better than the open-back 1x12 combo (duh!), knowing full well that I could still plug the combo into the same 4x12 cab. But, after hearing the 4x12 cab, I knew I'd NEVER be as happy with the combo's tone on its own. Yes, more of a pain to move around, but I don't play out with any regularity. And it was easier to make room for the head versus the combo.

I have to agree with frankyandreas (above): time and a place. I love the blast of a tube amp pushing some air! So much in fact, that my XL+ runs into two other tube amps (stereo!) to get that same amp-in-the-room feel. But the convenience of the XL+ into a PA with in-ear monitors cannot be beat. Same goes for plugging in a set of over-the-ear headphones with the Fractal; so says my wife. Ha!

Bottom line: Maybe get a USED Mark V. If it turns out not to be your "thing" you can always sell it and get most of your money back (credit card interest? ...not so much). Think of it as a cheap-ish rental. I'd give the same advice to anyone in a reverse situation with a Mark V and thinking about jumping into the Fractal world. Both the Mark V and Fractal have good resell value and the Internet makes it a LOT easier to find either of them.

Back
Top Bottom