Some questions before buying two Verve 8ma

When you then go to record direct, you again need to tweak/uncolor/re-correct. I do not. My tone is my tone and it works.
You go direct in your studio. If you change studio, maybe the tech (or you) should consider a bit of tweaking. I guess...?

What comes out of the stage monitor is for me to hear in context with the band, not recreate the studio experience.
I absolutely agree!!! :) I like 4x12, but don't need them to play with good tone. I don't care if my sound is equal to a particular sound. I want to hear the performance, not the sound... ;)

You go direct in your studio. If you change studio, maybe the tech (or you) should consider a bit of tweaking. I guess...?

Never once. If anything needs to be changed, it's up to the mixing engineer. I know what I want to deliver, and I've never once 'tweaked' over dozens and dozens of sessions recording direct.

Never once. If anything needs to be changed, it's up to the mixing engineer
So you are happy with your core tone (playing), but your rec may be tweaked later. And you thanks your studio/monitor for that.
Well... I have similar result with 12MA. I hardly tweak my patches. They have to sound good direct. I use global eq to compensate somehow for different stage/room.

So you are happy with your core tone (playing), but your rec may be tweaked later. And you thanks your studio/monitor for that.
Well... I have similar result with 12MA. I hardly tweak my patches. They have to sound good direct. I use global eq to compensate somehow for different stage/room.

Not in a pissing contest with you. We don't need to agree. I am happy you are happy with your 12ma and that's really the end of it all IMHO.

Please don't paraphrase me or try to bend my words though.

No, I don't 'thank my monitor' for that. I thank my ear and having a very focused plan going into whatever tone I am working on in order to facilitate getting a positive result. I believe an accurate monitor system consisting of a properly tuned and balanced studio monitor setup in a properly treated and tuned room is by far the most accurate and best, IMHO, method to achieve that. There is no one factor that stands above the others. It's a total system statement, not due to just a monitor or just a room or just the Axe-FX or any such singular element. The sum is greater than the parts.

I don't pretend that any given FOH or recording engineer will totally accept or agree with my own personal tonal choices in full. There is not a recording on earth that has been professionally recorded, mixed and mastered before release that has not had any number of EQ, Compression and all sorts of sonic 'tuning' done to it. Nothing more to it.

If the FOH or recording engineer asks me to roll off the bass or change EQ, I can just as easily do a global EQ. My point was that this has never once happened in over 3 and a half years of consistent and regular gigging and recording sessions. Nothing more to it. IMHO, that validates my own choices and my own methods. YMMV.

If you are happy, I am happy. I am happy, so I hope you are happy. Nothing more or less. Nothing more to it.

We can't all follow the same path, the same blueprint nor the same methods. We don't all use the same gear. There's nothing wrong with any of it as long as you are having fun and making music.

But please, don't put words in my mouth or misinterpret my intent or statements.

Not in a pissing contest with you. We don't need to agree. We don't need to argue either. I am happy you are happy with your 12ma and that's really the end of it all IMHO.

Please don't paraphrase me or try to bend my words though. Don't boil down my words to a reductionist statement. I never once said it was just my monitor.

Point of fact: the FBT Verve 12ma is not flat. Nothing more or less to that statement. Not a value judgement. Just an honest point of fact.

No, I don't 'thank my monitor' for developing my tones. I thank my ear and having a very focused plan going into whatever tone I am working on in order to facilitate getting a positive result. I believe an accurate monitor system consisting of a properly tuned and balanced studio monitor setup in a properly treated and tuned room is by far the most accurate and best, IMHO, method to achieve that. There is no one factor that stands above the others. It's a total system statement, not due to just a monitor or just a room or just the Axe-FX or any such singular element. The sum is greater than the parts.

I don't pretend that any given FOH or recording engineer will totally accept or agree with my own personal tonal choices in full. There is not a recording on earth that has been professionally recorded, mixed and mastered before release that has not had any number of EQ, Compression and all sorts of sonic 'tuning' done to it. Nothing more to it.

If the FOH or recording engineer asks me to roll off the bass or change EQ, I can just as easily do a global EQ. My point was that this has never once happened in over 3 and a half years of consistent and regular gigging and recording sessions. In very different rooms, stage setups, studios and genre's of music. Nothing more to it. IMHO, that validates my own choices and my own methods. YMMV.

If you are happy, I am happy. I am happy, so I hope you are happy. Nothing more or less. Nothing more to it.

We can't all follow the same path, the same blueprint nor the same methods. We don't all use the same gear. There's nothing wrong with any of it as long as you are having fun and making music.

But please, don't put words in my mouth or misinterpret my intent or statements.

Last edited:

Not my intention... I read your "rework" post, but till now I don't get it. This thread switch on something in my mind... I wish I deeply understand your ideas, to adapt/try them, simply put...

In the end, after reading your posts, i decided to abandon the idea of buying the Verve's. I will buy a good pair of studio monitor, that's what i need now for tweaking my patches and for recording. Thank you ;)

Back
Top Bottom