Some questions about MFC and AxeFX II

Adinfinitum

Experienced
I'm reading both manuals now, but any help or pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

1. I have the axe2 hooked up via Cat5 cable and set the MFC to Axe2 mode. Reset parameters on Axe2 ( I'll eventually figure out what IAs I want to go with which parameters). I also have a midi thru to my standard so I can still switch patches on the standard. Now, the MFC switches patches perfectly; however, when I manually turn the value knob to switch patches, the MFC doesn't switch to the new patch. Is there a way to get the MFC to do that?

2. Is there a way to switch the bank switches so that the bottom IA is the UP bank, not Down? I play sitting down and generally move up through patches, so it would be easier to hit the IA on the lowest row.

3. Are you able to set an IA to turn on the Boost (the one under the Type knob in the Amp block)?

4. Anyone know what advanced parameters to change to get the Plexi Treble the same values as the old Plexi2? (I guess I could look that one up, but I'm lazy!)

5. Has anyone prepared a list of the new patches?. I believe Cliff is releasing the new Axe-edit soon, but I wanted to get started on rearranging patches. BTW - I really like that the first 40 or so patches are basic Amp with general effects. FINALLY someone understands that having wacky patches is for kids playing in GC or Sam Ash as opposed to more sophisticated users who want to hear how the different amp sims sound for normal playing. Much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

AdInfinitum

1. I have the axe2 hooked up via Cat5 cable and set the MFC to Axe2 mode. Reset parameters on Axe2 ( I'll eventually figure out what IAs I want to go with which parameters). I also have a midi thru to my standard so I can still switch patches on the standard. Now, the MFC switches patches perfectly; however, when I manually turn the value knob to switch patches, the MFC doesn't switch to the new patch. Is there a way to get the MFC to do that?
You will need to also set the "USE PORT" parameter [EDIT:MIDI] to EXPANSION if using CAT-5.
No, the MFC is a midi controller and does not poll the Axe for changes made by the front panel of the Axe.

2. Is there a way to switch the bank switches so that the bottom IA is the UP bank, not Down? I play sitting down and generally move up through patches, so it would be easier to hit the IA on the lowest row.
I believe the four buttons on the right are pre-programmed and there static. So no.

3. Are you able to set an IA to turn on the Boost (the one under the Type knob in the Amp block)?
No.. the boost switch in the amp block has no modifier capability, so cannot assign exernal controller to it. The way around this is to add a FILTER block with a 3db (or other value) in the output level and set to bypass mode in preset. Assign an IA on MFC to turn on/off.

5. Has anyone prepared a list of the new patches?. I believe Cliff is releasing the new Axe-edit soon, but I wanted to get started on rearranging patches. BTW - I really like that the first 40 or so patches are basic Amp with general effects. FINALLY someone understands that having wacky patches is for kids playing in GC or Sam Ash as opposed to more sophisticated users who want to hear how the different amp sims sound for normal playing.
You would need to get that preset list from someone with a production Axe-II :)

The presents are store internally in the axe 2 you can do a reset to get them back and I believe you can do the same for the one you created.

Thanks for the responses.

1 - Check - It would be nice if I want to switch from preset 1 to preset 156 and the MFC acknowledges the preset change if I hit the recall button. But, no big deal using the footpedal to do that. Yes, I set the MFC to Expansion. The Quick Set up guide really covered all teh bases to get up and running fast. I took me about five read throughs to understand it at first, but once I started setting it up, everything made sense.
2 - I guess I'll deal with that. I'll have to do some stretching exercises so I don't pull a hamstring stretching to hit the UP Button; : )
3 - Perhaps I can set up an IA to switch between X Y settings - one with boost off and the other with it on?
4 - I have a Axe2 (picked it up on Saturday). Maybe I'll make a patch list if I have time tonight.

Is there instructions on setting up the MFC so that TAP/Tempo is only on a single IA. My MFC came with new firmware. I guess I'll check if the online manual was updated or if the firmware download has instructions.

Thanks again,

Sorry if this is off topic but I have a question that I can't seem to find a definitive answer to:

Will I have to use a MIDI interface to update the MFC for use with the Axe II?

Sorry if this is off topic but I have a question that I can't seem to find a definitive answer to:

If you haven't updated it to 1.0 yet, yes. If it's 1.0, you just change a setting for Ultra -> II.

In theory no, but you will still need at least one 5-pin midi cable to do so, and not sure if anyone has tried it with the Axe2.
In theory, you should be able to update the MFC firwmare thru Axe2 using USB. Set midi filer app to use AxeFx II MIDI OUT. Set MIDI Thru on Axe2 to ON and connect MIDI OUT on Ax2, to MIDI IN on MFC - making sure you remove the CAT5 if you used one.

PS: I have not tried this method..

In theory no, but you will still need at least one 5-pin midi cable to do so, and not sure if anyone has tried it with the Axe2.
In theory, you should be able to update the MFC firwmare thru Axe2 using USB. Set midi filer app to use AxeFx II MIDI OUT. Set MIDI Thru on Axe2 to ON and connect MIDI OUT on Ax2, to MIDI IN on MFC - making sure you remove the CAT5 if you used one.

I'm hoping this works !! Anyone want to try it ?

Thanks for the advice. My AFXII is scheduled to arrive next week so I'm thinking I'll try it then. I have a M-Audio MIDIsport 2x2 that I have had the absolute worst time trying to get my Ultra to communicate with. I was hoping to avoid having to use it ever again if possible.

Thanks for the advice. My AFXII is scheduled to arrive next week so I'm thinking I'll try it then. I have a M-Audio MIDIsport 2x2 that I have had the absolute worst time trying to get my Ultra to communicate with. I was hoping to avoid having to use it ever again if possible.
Which OS is your PC running and which 2x2 model? if its the non-Anniversary 2x2, then yes, it has known issues being used with the AxeFx.
I have a 2x2 Anniv on Win7 that works just fine.. so does my old UNO for that matter. . USB is much faster tho' :)

Nothing quite like responding to your own post, eh?
OK.. inquiring minds want to know... so I WAS NOT ABLE TO GET THIS TO WORK !!

Test scenario:
  • Disconnected CAT5, powered off MFC and connected 5-pin MIDI from AXE2 OUT to MFC IN.
  • Went into the I/O:MIDI menu and did the following:
    1. Turned on MIDI THRU
    2. Set Send Realtime Sysex to NONE (causes ERROR 17 or 18 when powering up in update mode if left on)
  • Powered up MFC in update mode. (OK)
  • Opened C6 midi filer and sent MFC firmware.
  • MFC shows % complete, all the way thru 100%
  • NEVER displays UPDATE COMPLETE msg... (power cycling causes ERROR 14 - image checksum error)

Not sure why it never gets beyond the 100% complete stage.. but I was unable to get further than that.
Anyone else tried this yet ??

Back
Top Bottom