Some mocha fuze syrup on Steely Dan - patch critique please

Thanks for all the nice comments guys. I was comparing this clip to some real amp clips and I still feel something is not right...... I may have to check in with Cliff to make some patch tweaks. The low end is just not there in the right Dumble way.

Thanks again for commenting!!

Sounds awesome - although I feel it is kind of unfair to ask us to critique your sound. :) It's like a magician using sleight of hand, distracting us over here with your amazing chops and feel, while saying "how about that tone?" Your stellar playing captures my attention so much that the tone is almost unimportant! (Not that your tone isn't amazing!)

I do believe you would sound amazing playing a plastic guitar through a cardboard box!

I tried the settings you gave on one of your other clips and it honestly sounded like crap! It wasn't even close to your sound. I was using a strat though, but I didn't think it would make THAT much difference!

Thanks for sharing your "magic".

Scott

I just built this preset with your posted settings.
Very cool balanced tone but I noticed something...... I needed to put the AMP level at -10dB to avoid
digital clipping and I have very low output pickups.
MASTER on 8.03 and Level on 1 ????? ... you must have been cutting level somewhere else.

Are you adjusting the INPUT knob on the AXE-FX until the clipping stops?
(I hope not, you are loosing digital resolution this way)

:?:

Here is the preset the way I built it:
I put Level on -10dB
I also bypassed the Delay and adjusted the Reverb the way I like it.

http://www.andras-shimon.com/AXE-FX/MochaFuzeSyrup.syx

:x

scottl said:
Thanks for all the nice comments guys. I was comparing this clip to some real amp clips and I still feel something is not right...... I may have to check in with Cliff to make some patch tweaks. The low end is just not there in the right Dumble way.

Thanks again for commenting!!

Scott,

Andrew (above my post) has some very good questions and points on your preset.

I'd also add that what you are discussing 'missing' is simply some PEQ after your cab or some custom IR more to your taste.

As a matter of philosophy, see the Axe-FX as a toolbox and not as a 'amp modeler' to get your mindset right. That marketing speak has folks pulling their hair out trying to replicate analog rigs using the same exact settings, etc.. The Axe-FX is a different beast; it has a massive array of tools to use to shape your tones and it is not 'wrong' or complicated to simply drop a PEQ in after your cab and modify it to taste. Try it in your DAW; just take your recorded tone and use a PEQ in your DAW to shape it to your preferences and goals; then drop inside your Axe-FX and replicate that curve with the PEQ in there after the cab. You'll be amazed. It's almost like chiseling out the perfect tone 'sculpture' with chisels instead of just using hammers.

Trying to help.

AndrewSimon said:
Scott

Very cool balanced tone but I noticed something...... I needed to put the AMP level at -10dB to avoid
MASTER on 8.03 and Level on 1 ????? ... you must have been cutting level somewhere else.

I put Level on -10dB

Weird how different guitars and cable can react...I build the preset from Scott and i have no any level problem. It sounds very close and it's butter to play with.
Thanks a lot for sharing and man, what a musician you are !

Thanks! Volume seemed ok on my end. Input was set to right before red lit. I could have bumped a couple db. -10db seems too low. I am in south Florida in the pool right now.... I'll check the settings when I get home next week.

Thanks again for listening and commenting guys!

gounzy said:
AndrewSimon said:
Scott

I put Level on -10dB

Weird how different guitars and cable can react...I build the preset from Scott and i have no any level problem. It sounds very close and it's butter to play with.
Thanks a lot for sharing and man, what a musician you are !

As usual I really enjoyed your playing. The tone sounds good to me, a few shades difference won't make much difference to my ears, it would still be fine. I will be making that patch on my ultra. It is good.

Back
Top Bottom