Some help with strange routing?

Here's what I'm trying to do, any help would be appreciated... either 'do it like this' or 'you can't do that' is fine.

I have a 10 space rack with the Fractal and a GP100 that I have used for years.

I have a Radial rack mounted di for 'direct to the board' (both Fractal and gp separated)

I have a tube power amp for the Fractal

I have a single space power amp for the gp 100

I have 4 cabs onstage, (2 for stereo Fractal, 2 for gp100)

What I'm trying to do:

Have stereo Fractal onstage for monitoring myself (I like the cab treatment) and I am sending the input to the gp 100 from the fx send of the Fractal so I can mute the send at will.

I want to bypass the cabs and power amp sims for stage, yet tap that before the Redwire sims that go to the rackmounted di for front of house, so my soundman always the has the same sound, and I also have the gp100 going to the di as well, so they get a stereo direct of that as well, so essentially, the soundman gets 4 lines that he basically puts at zero and pans out, and voila...

Is there a way to do all this with the 4 outputs? I notice that there is the xlr outputs as well as 1/4 for output 1, can I separate those? so 1/4 is before cabinet and poweramp sims, and the the xlr is after and can feed the di? Then the fx send is still dedicated to sending signal to the gp? The option is another splitter box that doesn't seem practical if I can figure this out...

I can do it all with a mono out from the Fractal (using the other side of output 2) but in a perfect world it's all stereo.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

d

Split the signal before the axe-fx and gp100. Use a MIDI command to mute the gp100 when needed.

You can also use an A/B/Y switch. I use an Sound sculpture ABCadabra MIDI controlled A/B/Y switch

The way you are describing things requires 5 outs. poweramp/cab sims stereo =2; non poweramp/cabs but axe-fx effects only stereo=2, dry guitar tone (no axe-fx effects) mono =1

No 1/4 and XLR outputs are exact copies of each other, you cannot separate them. They are hardwired that way.

I need to send the gp sound separate either way, so same problem no?

I'm not using the gp for a traditional sound, it's one of those situations where I've had that unit for 15 years and it does something that no other unit can (it's kind of a disgusting sound)

I suppose I could try and recreate it, but the trick has always been separating that 'disgusting' sound to different cabs and different inputs for foh so the dude can mix to tase as the show goes on...

So if I WAS to recreate it in the axe (which would be trial and error, but would be ideal) Could I do the same thing? 2 onstage stereo Fractals, 2 Di sim Fractals, and 2 additional 'gp clones'?

Maybe Devin should post a clip of his "disgusting" sound from the GP100 and see who can replicate it with their Axe FX ;)

I know what you mean though Devin, i've had stuff in the past that i used to create a specific sound on recordings and have found it hard to move on with other gear.... until said gear failed :lol:

Great idea. Post what you're doing to achieve the disgusting sound, and what it sounds like. I guarantee some AFX engineers on here can figure it out. I wouldn't mind taking a shot either.

Back
Top Bottom