Some hardness in the way the amps feel

Hi All,

Here is how the story goes. 6 month ago I purchased AX8 and played for 2 month then due to some financial problems I had to sell it. Now recently I purchased another unit, but it does not sound the same.

I feel differently when playing the same presets I made on my first unit. There is some hardness in the feel when having gain set low (especially when playing low 3 strings). This happens with all models. Especially when using headphones (I tried Byerdynamics DT990, DT250 and Senheizer HD600). I happens on all my guitars, which are set up the same way when I used them with the first unit.

The only difference that I see is FW version. On my first unit I used FW 3.x

Hardness maybe is a wrong word, but this is the best term I came up with.

Any ideas, suggestions.

Thanks,
Alex

Can you reload the old 3.x firmware? Maybe there was just something you preferred there or you could compare.

What amps are you using?

+1 to reloading the old firmware to see if that gets you back to what you were used to.

Things do change from FW to FW

This weekend I went and installed FW 3.52. I thought that the feel was a little softer. Then reinstalled 5.0.1 and I think it feels the same as 3.52.

Then I went back to 3.52 and recorded to my computer a short clip, then did the same with 5.0.1. The recordings were identical.

I guess it is something in my head :)

Don't forget about the tubes! The new ones have cheap Chinese tube sims, where the original models all use NOS tube sims. ;)
Also true. I believe that the main reason is that chinese is poorly made pcb, while true US unit has everything point to point.

Also true. I believe that the main reason is that chinese is poorly made pcb, while true US unit has everything point to point.

It definitely feels differently between MIC and MIA. I should upgrade probably power cable which will soften sag and open up room acoustics.

@OP: Have you been playing less than usual? I always felt my gear (analog or Fractal) like how you describe when I wasn't up to my usual playing level. Good amplification does not mask your little mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom