Some Far-Field IRs: Marshall 1960AV - V30 4x12

antcarrier

Power User
Hello folks,

Attached are 2 reflection-free far field IRs of a Marshall 1960 Vintage cabinet, a 4x12 loaded with Marshall's custom English-made Celestion Vintage 30s. Here we have 2 mic positions - 'Marshall 1960AV 1' is brighter than 'Marshall 1960AV 2', which is slightly more off-axis (by a few centimetres).

I emptied out part of a church hall next door to my house and set up so that I had just over 4m from any surface to the mic or cab, allowing for a clean 21ms IR. The cab was angled back slightly, as otherwise the IRs have a tendency to be too bright. Here are some pictures from the shoot:

IMG_0117_zps4b388101.jpg

IMG_0115_zpsfa96e814.jpg

IMG_0113_zps7460a85a.jpg

Have fun! Any feedback -positive or negative- is welcome as it may help me improve my results in future shoots.

-Jon

Last edited:
Sound great ,have to play around some more with these ,Thanks:encouragement:

Can I give you a tip?

Take the mic off the ground. Reflections from the ground can result in phase cancellation and an unpredictable sound field. The resultant IR being too bright may be a result of high frequencies being reflected off the hard surface that the mic is sitting on. Common practice in building measurements (where results can be the subject of court scrutiny) is to suspend the mic at least 1 metre from any surface, hard or otherwise. Try it at head height with the cab back on the level.

Good job though! :)

Can I give you a tip?

Take the mic off the ground. Reflections from the ground can result in phase cancellation and an unpredictable sound field. The resultant IR being too bright may be a result of high frequencies being reflected off the hard surface that the mic is sitting on. Common practice in building measurements (where results can be the subject of court scrutiny) is to suspend the mic at least 1 metre from any surface, hard or otherwise. Try it at head height with the cab back on the level.

Good job though! :)

Nope, you want it in the ground plane. That's the idea- that the time delay of the reflection of the floor is small enough that it adds coherently. Look up "Ground plane measurement".

Nope, you want it in the ground plane. That's the idea- that the time delay of the reflection of the floor is small enough that it adds coherently. Look up "Ground plane measurement".

That makes sense! I was thinking about the high and low frequency limits of the technique, but guitar speakers already filter these out. I had forgotten about the source and was thinking about emulating anechoic chambers (and real head height listening environments). That's my building acoustics head rather than speaker measurement head talking.

Last edited:
I gave these IR's a good workout tonight and was able to get some nice rock tones out of them. What's interesting about them is that you can add plenty of low end with the Bass and Depth controls and fill out tones nicely as these IR's can 'take it'. I generally found I could add lots of low end, dial back the mids, and add just a touch of treble with most amps.

Another thing I noticed is that if you A/B these IR's with close miced ones you really have to give your ears some time to adjust, much more so than A/B'ing two close miced IR's.

Great work, thanks, and it's cool you're still hammering away generating these FF IR's.

I gave these IR's a good workout tonight and was able to get some nice rock tones out of them. What's interesting about them is that you can add plenty of low end with the Bass and Depth controls and fill out tones nicely as these IR's can 'take it'. I generally found I could add lots of low end, dial back the mids, and add just a touch of treble with most amps.

Another thing I noticed is that if you A/B these IR's with close miced ones you really have to give your ears some time to adjust, much more so than A/B'ing two close miced IR's.

Great work, thanks, and it's cool you're still hammering away generating these FF IR's.

Cheers for the feedback. Very true about A/Bing with near field IRs - whenever I try flipping from FFs to NFs or vice-versa, it really does my head in! I find that I quickly get used to the sound of one type of IR (NF/FF), and then other type suddenly sounds odd even if its an IR that I really like. I often like to mute the output and play acoustically for a bit when switching IRs, that way when I turn it back up I can hear the new IR with fresh ears.

thanks for sharing these , going to give them a go today through the Seismic I am evaluating :)

**edit tried these today with a Friedman patch I have, I really liked the first one , thanks for posting these
I see what you guys mean about going back and forth from FF to NF Irs
it takes a minute to adjust to the different kind of sound each type of IR brings to the table.

Last edited:
Dude. I tried these a while ago and (I think because I was comparing them with close-miked IRs) they didn't suit my fancy, but I came back and WOW. They're so great. Perfectly nails that 'in the room' feel and tone. You need money for these. Seriously.

Dude. I tried these a while ago and (I think because I was comparing them with close-miked IRs) they didn't suit my fancy, but I came back and WOW. They're so great. Perfectly nails that 'in the room' feel and tone. You need money for these. Seriously.

Thanks man! Although I can't see myself charging anyone anytime soon as its still largely experimental work, and don't yet have enough IRs to put a proper collection together. Besides, I'm quietly hoping that some people might like them enough to have a go at making some of their own and sharing those too, and then there will be more far fields available for everyone :)

The clip sounds good, but do these FF IR's sound more "in the room" through a FRFR monitor?

Cheers. I'm not entirely sure what you mean; they certainly won't work though anything that isn't full range. I'm not sure about headphones as I've never tried it.

Back
Top Bottom