Some amp models sound massively compressed or completely silent

fudnoms

Hi I've got a new axe fx 2 XLS and have a matrix frfr cab and matrix gt1000 (which I've only just got)

I've got the amp and power sims turn on in the global settings and all the presets sound awesome and exactly how I was expecting them to.

However I've made a basic patch just to have a listen to all the amps etc. it's amp, noise gate then cab.

Scrolling through the different amps to have a listen, most sound fkn awesome (as expected) but there are a few which sound massively compressed and the volume drops right off even with the matrix cranked up. There is also one which is almost completely silent - the jazz chorus one. I know it's not supposed to sound like that in real life. Can anyone tell me what I might have setup wrong? It's just weird how most sound and behave just like they should but a few have this weird volume limiting thing going on.

Thanks in advance

Play with and learn the characteristics of the input drive, bass, middle, treble, presence and master for EACH amp and use the level inside the amp block to level the percieved volume.

The amp output volume varies quite a bit from amp to amp so your gate could be killing the signal. I'd get rid of the gate and then see what you end up with.

Hi I've got a new axe fx 2 XLS and have a matrix frfr cab and matrix gt1000 (which I've only just got)

I've got the amp and power sims turn on in the global settings and all the presets sound awesome and exactly how I was expecting them to.

However I've made a basic patch just to have a listen to all the amps etc. it's amp, noise gate then cab.

Scrolling through the different amps to have a listen, most sound fkn awesome (as expected) but there are a few which sound massively compressed and the volume drops right off even with the matrix cranked up. There is also one which is almost completely silent - the jazz chorus one. I know it's not supposed to sound like that in real life. Can anyone tell me what I might have setup wrong? It's just weird how most sound and behave just like they should but a few have this weird volume limiting thing going on.

Thanks in advance

JC120: increase Master to 10.

And engage the Bright switch.

Last edited:
Settings for one amp won't necessarily translate to other models, just like a real amp. It's like walking into a music store and someone was using a single coil guitar and left the Drive on an amp at 9. You plug in your humbucker guitar and it sounds "massively compressed". Well that's not surprising. You need to turn the Drive down.

I am curious why amps like the JC120 don't default to 10 on the MV. What is the purpose of it defaulting to an unusable setting?

I am curious why amps like the JC120 don't default to 10 on the MV. What is the purpose of it defaulting to an unusable setting?

Because it all depends on the gear you are using, some guitars work better with the default, others don't and depending on your personal preferences you might find that increasing the MV to 10 works better. This is all very subjective, same as a normal amp, maybe other people don't like the MV being set to 10.

Unfortunately you can't cater for everyone which is why we can save our own presets.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you put the gate after the amp block? Not saying it's wrong, just never encountered that before...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom