SOLVED : Using an FC6 switch to momentarily turn on a flanger

CurvedLight

Inspired
I would like to have a scene where the Flanger is bypassed and when I press and hold down a FC6 Button it enables the flanger until I release the FC Button.
I would like to set this up as a Per Preset override for a particular preset.

In my research the AFX3 manual mentions that the FC6 buttons can be momentary if there is no hold function assigned. In my attempts to do this it still behaves as a tap on and tap off function requiring me to do more of a "double tap dance" rather then a quick press and release

I know this can be done with external switches hooked up to the FC6 or AFX3 - I just want to use an existing FC switch.

Can this be done ?

If so, can someone please walk me through a step by step setup?

Thanks in advance ..

This seems like an @Admin M@ or @chris type of question.
I personally use the control switch method.

Leon - Thanks for helping ----I was able to get the Control switch method to work with my custom layout that I use for live playing. This makes it a more global configuration as I now have a button on the FC that can momentarily turn something on.

I would still like to figure out if this can be done using Per Preset overrides as I use this for only a couple of presets so anyone who has figured this out I would appreciate some direction :)

Last edited:
I like to use the higher number PP switches as to not interfere with the lower numbers that might be used in conjunction with the 'Per-Preset ' Layout (if used?).

Setup the 'Per-Preset switch (#24 in my example), select the Layout that you wish to have the switch in (Layout #2 in my example), then the switch in that layout (#3 in my example), select the PP# that you are using (#24 in my example), save the preset.

Flanger override.png
Flanger override 1.pngFlanger override 2.pngFlanger override 3.pngFlanger override 4.png

Last edited:
select the Preset you want the Override switch on. make sure you don't have any pending changes or unwanted changes, as we'll have to save at the end of this.

in Edit, click Per-Preset FC
set PP#1 (or any number) to
Tap - Control switch, momentary, CS1
be sure the Hold function is set to Unassigned, very important.
Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 7.07.10 PM.png

Exit Per-Preset FC (click the button again)

click FC Controllers
choose a Layout and a Switch position to replace with what you just setup. i'm showing Layout 2, Switch 1 as an example. so click Switch 1 to select it.
in the bottom right of the FC menu, it shows Per-Preset Override. change it from None to PP#1, or whatever number you used in the first step:
Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 7.13.53 PM.png

know that you shouldn't use Switch 3, as it has an always-on hold function to do the 2-button press Master Layout Menu function. if you've turned this off in Setup, you can use Switch 3, but by default, Switch 3 can never have a momentary use.

this completes the FC setup. if you go to that Layout on your FC, you should see CS1 on whatever switch you assigned on this preset specifically.

click FC Controllers again to close the FC menu.

select your Flanger block so it loads the parameters area on the bottom of Edit.
right click the BYPASS button, on the bottom right of the screen.
set Source 1 to Control Switch 1 - this is what we chose for the switch
change MIN to Bypassed and Max to Engaged
close the Modifier pop up window

now when you press that switch, the flanger will turn on, and if you let go, it will turn off.

Save the Preset.

@Moke - Thanks for the screenshots and tip on using the higher PP#
@chris - Thanks for the step by step explanation and screen shots and the heads up on using SW3 -

I got it working using switch 1 - BIG THANKS !!!!!!

Here is what I noticed between using the two methods discussed in this thread that may be useful for others wanting to do this
-- Using the Per Preset override method the flanger comes on immediately when you activate the control switch
-- When I dedicate a layout switch to by default use a control switch we are subject to the FC config PRESS and Hold Time Out that has a min setting of .25 seconds so there is a noticeable delay before the flanger kicks in-- EDIT :THIS WAS do to the fact that I used Switch 3 that has a global HOLD functions - the delay WILL NOT be there of you use Switch 1 instead of switch 3

I really appreciate the help here and getting it working so quickly -- Got to love the Fractal community !

Last edited:
-- When I dedicate a layout switch to by default use a control switch we are subject to the FC config PRESS and Hold Time Out that has a min setting of .25 seconds so there is a noticeable delay before the flanger kicks in
Be sure your Hold function on that type of switch is set to Unassigned.

Back
Top Bottom