SOLVED: Presets sound crap after firmware.

Plus many of the patches are constantly in the red output clipping zone. They sound like a speaker has blown or something, the volume changes are pretty wide too.

Check your Master level on your amp block. You tried clearing a preset and building a basic new Marshall-based amp/cab combo? I noticed that things only get better after firmware updates personally. Are you using Axe-Edit also? That will update your Amp/Cab/Effects library for you to visualize what could be going awry. Just curious.

Try to deduce the possible causes.

1 - Check the parameters in Global and I/O > Audio. In case of doubt: reset them (Utility menu).
2 - Start a blank preset, add just an Amp and Cab. Make sure to initialize (reset) amp and cab. Now dial those blocks in using the same values as in your existing preset. Verify the settings in the grid input (impedance, noise gate) and grid output (levels).
3 - Does it sound the same, better or worse?

That's exactly the plan I have - thanks Yek!

Reactions: yek
Thanks - I read that they weren't changed, but there is still a significant tone change in my presets. Besides the reverbs, were any effects changed?

I can't really explain how they have changed aside from saying they are fizzy, darker and lack the clarity they used to have.

Nothing related to amp modeling or the models changed.

Nothing related to amp modeling or the models changed.

So what you're saying is I'm insane... I'm not arguing with you there and that definitely could be the case.

I went in and messed with the Input Gate and that seemed to make a huge difference. My sound is like it was before. I have no idea if that could have been the culprit - nor would I say they sounded like crap (that was just the name of this post)

Last edited:
Look folks, new FW upgrades are like getting a whole new - brand new device... FOR FREE. EXPECT to do some work. If your complaint is it's too often...well then, just wait. Upgrade once a year on Christmas day. Maybe only do Major FW updates. Maybe never do it. Just know that when new features come out, things will change. Try it out. If you don't like the sound, GO BACK. It takes 5 minutes. Then plan out your next move when you have time to make adjustments.

Tell yourself this: "Self, I am changing my gear today. This is NEW equipment that does things my old equipment didn't do, and it's going to be different. I'll have to dial it in". "But, If I don't like it, I can get my old equipment back risk free, in 5 minutes without getting out of my chair and driving back to the store!"

I just got new, amazing reverbs, and stereo UR cabs, (and some other stuff)... for FREE! THAT to me was worth doing some tweaking... Although... I don't notice any changes in my tones with this upgrade at all. I just upgraded today though, because I always wait for AE to come out first. I just like best when everything matches up... AE is much faster and more enjoyable for me that the front panel is.

I love the FW upgrades and new features. I'm SO HAPPY Cliff and CO do this. It is what makes the Fractal experience so awesome. It's like having New Amp Day (NAD) about once a month! Or new pedal day... or new rack unit day.... it's just a thing of beauty.

After reloading firmware again and updating amps all presets the busted speaker sound is gone and all is back to fabulous. I thank you for your time and effort in helping us with this problem. I can only surmise that a case of bad firmware uploading was the culprit. So try and try again.

I had one FW update that sounded funky. reinstalled it and no prob. that was around fw 13 or so, I think. I've had the axe 2 since august 2011, and I think it's been over 30 FW updates installed. Not too bad considering every other time I get an update on my PC, I can't read my emails or adobe screws up.

Kind of a pointless thread when the OP just says "this is crap" and doesn't really participate to follow up. Maybe I missed the followup part...

After reloading firmware again and updating amps all presets the busted speaker sound is gone and all is back to fabulous. I thank you for your time and effort in helping us with this problem. I can only surmise that a case of bad firmware uploading was the culprit. So try and try again.

Even if it would be nice of the OP to report back, it seems like rlarant and PRSCustom24 got things working again, so at least 2 others got things solved.

This topic made me think; how do you we know when we have a 'bad upload' or just maybe something 'hidden' in the amp section that changed over some FW updates?
seems impossible to know when you first hear your new FW. Might be a faulty upload or just a general change that had taken place.......

Bodde great words, I'm relativley new to the Axe and thinking exactly what you said, amp called the Bandmaster and Fender Blues Jr, I know what they sound like when Pete Townshend or Noel Gallagher use them, mine sound too clean, muffled so think, is this what the patch sounds like anyway? Add another 398 presets and you could see my concern, I literally power on plug guitar in, and starting from 000 spin the wheel getting broken speaker tones to dead quiet to very loud, I give each patch a chance and play a few licks, even swapping pickups according to what kind of amp it is, thats my basis for bad sounding patches, but can't get to Axe as work as reared ugly head for next couple of days, but like your words.

Ahmed,

I saw in the title that the issue was solved, but I don't see that in your posts. If you don't mind taking a moment or two, Is there any chance you might post what your resolution was, for the masses, in case someone else runs down the same path? Glad you got it working!

Cheers,

Lee

Ahmed,

I saw in the title that the issue was solved, but I don't see that in your posts. If you don't mind taking a moment or two, Is there any chance you might post what your resolution was, for the masses, in case someone else runs down the same path? Glad you got it working!

Cheers,

Lee

+1

OP - glad your prob is sorted...
I had exactly the same prob at fw6.x [can't recall which one]
first attempt sounded seriously bad.. broke sort of bad.. 2nd and 3rd installs [of the same fw file] were bad too..
so I downloaded the fw again and installed it.. and everything was good

It's happened to me, too. Getting bad sounds. Re-installed firmware, still bad. Downloaded firmware again, installed. Fixed it. Just corrupt data I guess.

Bodde great words, I'm relativley new to the Axe and thinking exactly what you said, amp called the Bandmaster and Fender Blues Jr, I know what they sound like when Pete Townshend or Noel Gallagher use them, mine sound too clean, muffled so think, is this what the patch sounds like anyway? Add another 398 presets and you could see my concern, I literally power on plug guitar in, and starting from 000 spin the wheel getting broken speaker tones to dead quiet to very loud, I give each patch a chance and play a few licks, even swapping pickups according to what kind of amp it is, thats my basis for bad sounding patches, but can't get to Axe as work as reared ugly head for next couple of days, but like your words.

I think everyone will agree , the Ax Fx isn't a plug and Play solution ( sounds like you may be seeking this) , I personally don't use any factory presets for my performances or recording without tweaking to taste, most from scratch , if it's too clean , dirty, or muffled , you have to tweak to your taste , same goes for patches others create , they may sound awesome on their rig or recordings, but more thane likely , won't translate well to yours. (you will find what you're looking for with some work invested for sure it's in there!) If you want to just plug in and find euphoria from a preset , I think you will be blessed if you find it that easy.

All of my presets are having issue with the output clipping. Thus, made thing sounded like a busted speaker just as others had described. I went in and adjusted all the cab levels and amp levels, all are fine. Played around with all the new cabs and reverbs, everything sounded better than ever.

But, think about it again, maybe I need to reload my firmware and see if the output clipping goes away.

Back
Top Bottom