[Solved (mostly) thanks to a Friedman ASM-12] FM3 sonic quandary: CLR versus real power amp and cabs: A review from a newbie, and Do I need a XiTone?

I love the clarity and sound quality of the CLRs but I have thought about adding a sub to them as well.

FWIW I saw an old thread here where someone mentioned adding a sub for their CLRs, and that briefly sent me down a rabbit hole ("wait - do I need a sub?"). I later found a followup thread on another forum by the same person who mentioned that they gave up on the sub because it sounded artificial.

I'm happy with my pair of CLRs, but agree that it doesn't 'feel' like a 4x12.

FWIW I saw an old thread here where someone mentioned adding a sub for their CLRs, and that briefly sent me down a rabbit hole ("wait - do I need a sub?"). I later found a followup thread on another forum by the same person who mentioned that they gave up on the sub because it sounded artificial.

I think it can be done well as long as the sub is selected well and dialed in right.

It would definitely sound artificial if you paired the CLRs with something like one of those big slow 18 woofer cabs meant for large PAs. However, I have a studio monitor sub I've paired with the CLRs just goofing around in the studio, which has a relatively small driver so it's tighter. It's a great sounding and feeling setup. If you know what you're doing when you set the crossover and level, it sounds really good and pairs well with the CLRs.

Reactions: ESW
I had a lot of success using the CLR with my Xitone cab as a sub. It has a Emenice Beta LTA in it. I would set the CLR on top of the Xitone with the CLR angled to my head. I have since moved on to the Accugroove Robusta which sounds awesome.

Attachments

• XitoneF.jpg
    XitoneF.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 5
So, since I started this thread, I picked up a Friedman ASM-12 for a sweet deal ($550!) and this may be the "middle of the road" solution (for me) to the problem that I originally presented. I'm only an hour into jamming with it, but I have my trusty CLR next to my ASM and my tone is getting near to where I want it. The ASM just seems to add a lot of the warmth and "extra" oomph that I was missing from the tone of a real cab, yet is close enough to FRFR that I still get a lot of articulation and definition out of the FM3... To my ears, I think a wood enclosure (especially with all that Baltic Birch) sweetens the tone WAY more than a "plastic" PA enclosure... And sitting next to my CLR in stereo my ears are getting pretty happy - Definition AND THUMP AND PUNCH... I'm really digging it, plus the Friedman looks really cool too! Everyone complains about the weight of the Friedman, but its not that bad to me - especially if you've every carried around an Orange 2x12 or a 4x12 for that matter... Rock on guys! Now, if we could just get some good user presets going like the AX3 guys seem to have. I really need a good Skid Row tone for Youth Gone Wild for my FM3!!

Reactions: ESW
You may want to check out the Accugroove Robusta or Latte. The Robusta is a little more raw than the Latte but both are pretty HiFi. I use to run my CLR with a Xitone cab that had a Eminence Beta LTA in it as a sub. The Xitone is powered by a Matrix GM50 which is really made for guitar and the LTA is a unique speaker that has a whizzer cone versus a tweeter. This combo sounded so good but I eventually replaced it with the Latte. I had been using a Latte but when the Robusta came out I immediately started saving and it has exceeded my expectations. At 700 watts it moves a lot of air and has plenty of Thump. Here is a pic of my current setup:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/post-your-axe-fx-iii-rigs-here.136754/page-43#post-1912711

The other thing I had to do in the past when using when using PA speakers was EQ out some of the high end. In the early days of the AXEFX, Ultra and AXEII there was always something about the high end that just bugged me and didn't sound right; however, this was mostly solved when I got the CLR. IMO, the CLR is the best FRFR solution for the money.

In full disclosure, you may want to do a search on Accugroove because there are some mixed opinions about the company. I've had nothing but good experiences with them but they are pricey.
OT: Can I have your guitar please? ;)

I got casters on my ASM 12 :)
Oh and changed the grill/cloth to Steve Stevens Black.....custom by Friedman.

OT: Can I have your guitar please? ;)
Ditto that... Those PRS's are a dream....One day!!!: a 594 with binding and a with a wide board and a 10 top and a hot bridge pickup.... What's the nut width on that thing? I love it (more space so I make less mistakes;))... I played a Blue Denim 594 10 top at a GC the other day (just sitting on the floor for anyone to grab)... Insane! A $4k guitar and just sitting there for any 12-year-old to walk up and detune it to drop B or some crazy shit and destroy it's intonation or more (she should have been locked behind glass!!).... I plugged her into a used Friedman Dirty Shirley and walked out of the GC with that Dirty Shirley and left that 594 feeling USED... I still miss her though...

Pick up a Friedman ASM-12 to sit next to/near your CLR and you'll feel a lot better (definitely some extra thump and "amp in the room" there with the added ASM)..... Ahhhhh and Arrrrrgghhh... that damn "rabbit hole"... Sometimes, I feel like I live in that sonic rabbit hole of tone pursuit and can't ever get out...

Pick up a Friedman ASM-12 to sit next to/near your CLR and you'll feel a lot better (definitely some extra thump and "amp in the room" there with the added ASM)..... Ahhhhh and Arrrrrgghhh... that damn "rabbit hole"... Sometimes, I feel like I live in that sonic rabbit hole of tone pursuit and can't ever get out...

You got a great deal on that ASM. I'm actually super happy with the pair of CLRs, though. Two speakers in any combination seems to be the key. I also have an ASC-10 and a Xitone. I've tried each in combination with a CLR. I suppose I should try all four sometime, though... :)

You got a great deal on that ASM. I'm actually super happy with the pair of CLRs, though. Two speakers in any combination seems to be the key. I also have an ASC-10 and a Xitone. I've tried each in combination with a CLR. I suppose I should try all four sometime, though... :)
The "all four" thing at-the-same-time is insane!!... A couple times I've used my MESA 2:90 on my right fed from OUT2 going into a 4x12 and a 2x12 and on my left I can do the CLR and ASM. To sit in the middle of all that sometimes is, well, a massive thumping sonic experience...

Back
Top Bottom