Solved: I don't know what I did wrong

Stringmanipulator

Power User
So I was updating my mfc fw today and everythign went fine, and I'm sure it's not related to the following problem, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Tried the preset 007 Plexi Normal and played around for a while with a huge grin on my face ,, I still cannot believe how good this machine sounds.
But anyway, after a while I thought I might as well go ahead and assign my volume pedal on the ext 1 as I have done before, I did it using the FP cause I didn't know at the time how to do it in AE. Anyway, I couldn't get it to work so I figured I better recalibrate my pedals, and so I did and everything worked fine went back to the FP assigned vol block and extern ctl 1 and it behaves just like before running up and down on the display as I move the pedal.

But after that there is no output at all on that preset anymore, the leds show there is signal, but there's no sound. I wen't ahead and bypassed the volume block .. still no sound .. changed to another patch.. sound as normal .. change back to plexi ormal no sound ??

I'm kinda lost here, would appreciate some help ..... I tried to search for "no sound output" but didn't find a solution ..

you all have a good one

/Kenneth

I've had different blocks mainly chorus where I have spun the value knob fast from 0 to 10 after tweaking several knob result it the output just stopping. Toggle power and I was back.. Kind of like an output freeze.. It is a computer after all..What computer has not froze a sum point..

Troubleshooting technique: patch around each block, one at a time, with a shunt. When you get your sound back, you've identified the block with the problem.

I've had different blocks mainly chorus where I have spun the value knob fast from 0 to 10 after tweaking several knob result it the output just stopping. Toggle power and I was back.. Kind of like an output freeze.. It is a computer after all..What computer has not froze a sum point..

I tried that but nothing has helped so far ?

thank for helping me I appreciate it :)

Troubleshooting technique: patch around each block, one at a time, with a shunt. When you get your sound back, you've identified the block with the problem.

Thank you for a very good tip, I don't understand what the problem is, because I followed your tip, changed each and every block to shunt one at the time and the sound never came back then started to add blocks again .. started with amp then cab and so on .. but nothing no sound at all

??

if I switch to another preset everything is normal ..

I tried different scenes as well within that preset but nothing ,,

Was I supposed to reupload the factory presets again when going from V10 to V10.02 ??

thank for helping me I appreciate it :)

The leds on the axe fx showing there's sound but nothing comes out?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
still searching for answers did the following but this may be unrelated to the first issue

Since it all started with me adding the volume pedal (which worked before I updated to 2.16) I went ahead and
tried preset 376 "Happy Place" and added a vol block, went into the Source (using FP) selected external ctl 1
and when moving the pedal the little dot moves from lower left to upper right so everything seems normal so far.

(I noticed that the marker did not move at all when using AE to assign the vol pedal maybe itäs not functioning in this beta release of AE no biggie )

However the volume doesn't change, nothing changes ... this may be another issue altogether
maybe I missed something when I updated from 2.15 to 2.16 ..

----------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
I'm not much of an expert on expression pedals and CC assignments etc, but try the following: On the preset that you've lost your sound (preset 007 was it?), go to the Vol block and hit Edit, page over to Page 2 and check the setting for 'Bypass Mode'. Set this to 'Thru' and exit out to the layout screen. Now bypass the Vol block with the Fx Bypass button. Does that get your sound back?

Thank you for a very good tip, I don't understand what the problem is, because I followed your tip, changed each and every block to shunt one at the time and the sound never came back then started to add blocks again .. started with amp then cab and so on .. but nothing no sound at all

??
Then there is more than one block where the sound is getting stopped.

No need to replace blocks with shunts. Just put a shunt in parallel.

In fact, run a string of shunts from input to output. If you still get no sound, then something else is wrong, not the preset.

If you do get sound, then remove the first shunt, and feed the next one from one block later in your signal chain. Continue until the sound stops. You've just identified where the "problem" block is.

Thanks Rex!!

I did it the way you suggested, and found that everything worked, and then I changed it all back to the way it was before
and this time everything worked, I must have made a misstake somewhere in the previous version of the preset.

And now I tried to assign my wah and vol pedal and they both worked fine,
so problem solved (whatever it was, but being a total newbie it was probably me messing something up)
:)

I want to thank you for sharing that methood of troubleshooting presets that was very valuable,
and it is something I know I will use in the future as well, because chances are good that I am NOT done
messing things up ..

lol

you all have a good one
//Kenneth

I've had this happen to me a few times. Each time it's been one of two things - the IR has been lost somehow (will read "Factory" or something) or the level on the IR has been taken all the way down (to like -80 dB). In the first case, obviously replace the IR. In the second, take the level back up to where it belongs. This has happened prior to FW 10 as well with me.

Thanks Rex!!

I did it the way you suggested, and found that everything worked, and then I changed it all back to the way it was before
and this time everything worked, I must have made a misstake somewhere in the previous version of the preset.
Glad to help. And glad you're out of the woods with your preset. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom