[SOLVED] How can i get a more dynamic feel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
**issue solved**

OKAY GUYS - I FOUND WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR AND SOLVED THE ISSUE WITH HELP AND COMMENTS FROM SOME KIND PEOPLE IN HERE THAT POINTED ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION! thanks guys!

It was not the line-up, not the speakers or any of that. Just a bit tweaking.

The magic (adjustments) in dynamics simply happens with a few minor changes:

1. First set your impendance (input 1 block) to the desired parameter: by example 1M or you could prefer 1M with capacitor (simulates a long cable and sounds a bit less high). Off course level as high as possible without clipping.

2. (the obvious:) increase the dynamics in the 'dynamics tab'

3. set the input gain in the amp block a bit on edge (clean with an edge)

4. Go to the power supply tab and adjust both the 'supply sag' and 'variac' setting as desired.

5. When that is not enough you can add an 'dynamic processor' block in front of the amp and drive blocks to increase the dynamics even furthur (note that in most case that would not be neccessary)

That worked out great for me. I could get a feel 'close' to what i wanted.

**issue solved**

OKAY GUYS - I FOUND WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR AND SOLVED THE ISSUE WITH HELP AND COMMENTS FROM SOME KIND PEOPLE IN HERE THAT POINTED ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION! thanks guys!

1. First set your impendance (input 1 block) to the desired parameter: by example 1M or you could prefer 1M with capacitor (simulates a long cable and sounds a bit less high). Off course level as high as possible without clipping.

4. Go to the power supply tab and adjust both the 'supply sag' and 'variac' setting as desired.

5. When that is not enough you can add an 'dynamic processor' block in front of the amp and drive blocks to increase the dynamics even furthur (note that in most case that would not be neccessary)

Glad you found settings that work for you.

I asked earlier about the speakers used because it does matter. It’s frustrating when someone asks for help, I ask for some more details, and instead of answering, they say “no that’s not it.” It was unclear what you’re using because you’re comparing a no cab sim sound to something with cab sims, and also mentioned full range and non-full range speaker setups.

I only continue to mention this because I and many, many others don’t feel the need to adjust anything you just mentioned, to make it “feel real.” I literally adjust zero advanced amp parameters.

So again, if this works for you, great. But there could still be some underlying issue that’s affecting things.

If you come to a forum, ask experienced people for help, and then refuse to answer their questions when they take their time to help you, you may get some reactions like you did. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Glad you found settings that work for you.

I asked earlier about the speakers used because it does matter. It’s frustrating when someone asks for help, I ask for some more details, and instead of answering, they say “no that’s not it.” It was unclear what you’re using because you’re comparing a no cab sim sound to something with cab sims, and also mentioned full range and non-full range speaker setups.

I only continue to mention this because I and many, many others don’t feel the need to adjust anything you just mentioned, to make it “feel real.” I literally adjust zero advanced amp parameters.

So again, if this works for you, great. But there could still be some underlying issue that’s affecting things.

If you come to a forum, ask experienced people for help, and then refuse to answer their questions when they take their time to help you, you may get some reactions like you did. Just a thought.

Hi Chris, first of all, I did not mean to offend you. I really appreciate the time and help.

But you were thinkin' in the wrong direction... Just sayin. Letting you go down that thread would be a waste of my time (and yours) and i did not want to waste your time.

Besides that i think it's very annoying that in here someone experiences and knowledge are measured with the forum level degree. I owned and used the axe-fx and its previous versions over years now. There's that.

The issue i had is by the way a opinion many people have. And a lot of them are people that do not like modelling or don't find their tone. The main reason is not the sound but the feel. With this solution i hope those people will learn (or have an option) that you really get the tone AND FEEL you search digitally.

And with those people i mean : people who look furthur, are not pre-occupied about brand or hype. They just want it to sound and feel great. People with eye (or hearing) for the details. It's all in the details, the small differences that make something 'good' remarkable and great.

And YES for some people the basic settings are okay. And that's great. I was one myself until i heard and pinned down that last mile of the holy grail of sound that was missing FOR ME.

The AXE-FX III is the greatest unit on earth to go deep. Only sometimes it's a maze where a lot of ways get you to a solution.

So it's nice that there are forums like this where people help eachother. People. But some seem to think that being long enough around makes them better or more. Should not to be argued with...

And there is a lot of trolling on these and other forums with people that need to spill their guts while adding NO VALUE AT ALL and certainly don't know anything that could achieve more dynamics. That is really annoying and one of the main reasons i do not post stuff a lot.

It should be really all about helping each other out!

Again, thank you for your efforts, your last comment was a bit over the top with the lecturing part but all respect for you and your help on this forum!

**issue solved**

Good I’m glad you took some advice.. there’s a lot of interaction that can be adjusted in those Amp Block pages...
Here is the link to the Wiki Amp Block.. if you haven’t already

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Amp_block

I agree, i mostly play (try things out) at a pretty high volume like I'm used to playing at rehearsels. We don't play very loud (since we use a digital drum) at rehearsels but i like to feel a little pressure in my back ;-). When it sounds great at higher levels it mostly still sounds great at lower levels for me, not the other way around.

I’m not going to entertain the, “Amp in the room,” debate, if you’re looking for that info

This can be achieved by turning the volume up. When I have my amp in the room through a cabinet and my Axe in the room through a PA speaker at the same levels my amp thinks my Axe is an amp in the room. The dynamics are equivalent. For comparison turn your amp in the room down to the same quiet level and see if you feel dynamics are diminished. There is no substitute for volume. You will get there.

Last edited:
Your part of the problem with the form of people who spend all there time trying to defend the axe Fx this person and me know where it can improve to be even better and it hurts you cause you’ve been hype marketed and spent 3,000 and probably don’t have that dynamic of a picking technique or just no picking technique
Says the guy who says his IRs are better than all the factory IRs and sets High Cut at 1300Hz?

Sorry, but I personally don't trust your judgement on tone until I hear it.

On a second note, punctuation, spelling and grammar were invented for a reason... ;)

This can be achieved by turning the volume up. When I have my amp in the room though a cabinet and my Axe in the room through a PA speaker at the same levels my amp thinks my Axe is an amp in the room. The dynamics are equivalent. For comparison turn your amp in the room down to the same quiet level and see if you feel dynamics are diminished. There is no substitute for volume. You will get there.
this. very this.

"amp in the room" is just the sound bouncing off the room at that moment. many people go from a real guitar cab to a new-fangled FRFR speaker. and to compare the 2, they point the guitar cab at their ankles like usual, then the FRFR directly at their face/ears in wedge position. then they wonder why the FRFR has so much more high end and sounds more direct. well, it's facing your ears directly :D

for comparison's sake, put that new FRFR in the exact same direction - on the floor, facing forward toward your ankles. then turn it up. the sound will bounce around the room, which is exactly the "amp in the room" sound.

Hi all

How can i get a more dynamic feel (like the real stuff feels)?

I'm struggling to get a real feel out of my axe-fx III.
I hate to say that i use a DV Mark multiamp that easily dials in a real feel that i (and everybody that checks it out) like very much. It's like a real tube amp feel. period. (i must say that i don't use the cab sims in that lineup , they only apply to the mixing table - however that feel is also great)

Off-course as a loyal AXE-FX user (i previously owned the ultra, AXE FXII XL+ and now the AXE FX III) i can't believe that the axe-fx can't deliver a similar real 'feel'.

After spending a lot of time tweaking i can't get the result i want. I also bought the fremen presets and other stuff to be sure i have a good programming base. None seems to do the trick. They sound great but don't feel great. I'm sure everybody knows what I'm talking about.

I hope that someone can give me hints to achieve a real good dynamic feel out of the axe. A bit the amp in the room effect. Maybe i should consider leaving the cab-sims out of the equation therwfore. I don't know.

--
FYI : my setup (and possibilities) is the following:
I use 2 yamaha DRX12 active monitors (L+R), also have a Line 6 Powercab+ and have a mesa boogie 20:20 amp with a stereo cabinet (Palmer loaded with wgs speakers, or a stereo bogner 4x10 with special designs or a marshall 4x12 1960B - the kind of cab does not matter i wil lset the eq matching the cab)

Output 2 goes to the mixing tabel (or my DRX speakers at home for programming the sounds), output one to the mesa end amp and cabinet or to the powercab.

---
I'm sure there can be something done and hope any of you players out there can help me solve this riddle.

The only things i found out yet are the dynamic setting per amp , and playng around with the input gate. that improves the attack mosty but also decreases the soundquality. I'm hoping on a more overall solution.
I just uploaded a patch to the axe Change that will help you it’s an axe fx 2 patch tho

Says the guy who says his IRs are better than all the factory IRs and sets High Cut at 1300Hz?

On a second note, punctuation, spelling and grammar were invented for a reason... ;)
Lol you don’t know how to use the axe fx you have to many rules

Go try my patch on the axe fx 2 I just uploaded it it’s for single coils but if you x y the amp and cab it will be humbucker ready

I dunno, I couldn’t even guess how many patches I’ve made that with just using the volume knob on my guitar can go from clean to a ripping lead tone and everything in between. And that’s with or without using a drive pedal in front of the amp, with using the Filter Block as a Clean Boost in front of the Amp, using the Boost Switch on the Amp or all three at the same time. With a myriad of different amps as well. I actually pretty much base almost all my patches around the ability to do this. I absolutely LOVE how dynamic the Fractal is; both the AxeFX II & now the III. I do create a few patches here & there that are just full on super heavy, but even those I can roll off and get a nice light breakup tone.
I just can’t even fathom how anyone could say there is any issue whatsoever with dynamics, well at least not to make sweeping condemnations, like it’s something that just a well known fact. Stuff like that is utterly mind blowing.. there is only two possible conclusions I can come to when I read stuff like this when it pops up from time to time: Trolling or user error.

Lol you don’t know how to use the axe fx you have to many rules
I have exactly 2 rules, which I also call "ears".

There are many excellent factory IRs, and in my experience sound just fine with a high cut of somewhere between 4500 and 8500Hz.

Your blanket statement in another thread that your own IRs are better than all the factory IRs AND that you apply a High Cut at 1300Hz leads me to think that your ears and mine are very different.

Go try my patch on the axe fx 2 I just uploaded it it’s for single coils but if you x y the amp and cab it will be humbucker ready
My Axe Fx II is packed for shipping... This thread is for Axe Fx III.

If I have time later, maybe I'll try to convert it with FracTool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom