Solved: FM3 sounded muffled until I positioned my studio monitors appropriately

He had an axe 2 before this, and he got that working to his liking. The axe 3 isnt infinitly more complicated than the axe 2. theyre both complicated especially for someone whos never owned one. So since he was able to get the 2 working to his liking, it would lead me to believe he could just as easily get the 3 working. So theres def something up
You’re correct. I’m doing something I’ve done before. I’m mixing up two separate people and threads about noise or bad sound. I was trying my hardest to not do this, but have failed. I’ve been following both of these for a few days now. My memory is not like it use to be.🥴

Edit:
Although it could be reasonable as the thread progresses to construe a certain lack of experience. Honestly I’m at a loss over any posts about not getting acceptable sound straight away. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Honestly I’m at a loss over any posts about not getting acceptable sound straight away. 🤷‍♂️

Same here. I am the idiot in the room who can't seem to dial in a bad sound. :) That's what
blew me away, and still does. And like you I have owned a lot of top notch tube amps that
are modeled in the Fractalverse, and still do.

It just leaves me thinking that something is either not setup right (Global I/O) or there is a
weak link in the chain that is making it seem like the FM3 is not sounding good.

Same here. I am the idiot in the room who can't seem to dial in a bad sound. :) That's what
blew me away, and still does. And like you I have owned a lot of top notch tube amps that
are modeled in the Fractalverse, and still do.

It just leaves me thinking that something is either not setup right (Global I/O) or there is a
weak link in the chain that is making it seem like the FM3 is not sounding good.
💯

Except for that rare moment, I also do not get these posts? Not trying to e mr negative here, but forget paid or downloaded presets, if you do NOT get a nice tone out of some presets, something is seriously weird.

Dunno how much better other ones are, but I HATE the sound of my guitar (with anything - modeler, miked amp, amp through reactive load and IR, etc…) through my JBL LSR 305 Studio Monitors unless I turn them nearly all the way up, and at that point I feel like I’m about to blow them. I don’t like the sound of the FM3 much better through my Headrush FRFR 108 at any volume. I really like the sound through headphones, a power amp and 2x12 guitar cab or my brand new EV PXM 12MP (which is freaking awesome, btw). I think it’s part volume and part just how the cab itself resonates and fills up the room. Headphones seem to subvert that a bit.

-Aaron

Last edited:
It's obvious something is configured wrong in your FM3 or it is malfunctioning. You need to contact Tech support and send them audio clips. If you've been having this problem for a year and you're an experienced Fractal user, then it sounds like the FM3 is malfunctioning.

Yeah, not at all surprised. :)

I get great sounds using FRFR, Studio Monitors, through an Interface, and even running into the
FX Return of a Tube Amp and 2 x 12 I keep at our band's rehearsal space.

Dumbluck or low standards? Not sure. I just conclude it is a brilliantly designed and implemented
piece of gear, and all I need to do is get out of the damn way. :)

I'd just go down to the absolute basics first. No Austin Buddy presets, as simple as it gets.

IN1 -> Amp -> Cab -> OUT1

• Set the Amp to an amp model you like.
  • Select a cab you might like for it and then pick the SM57 A option. Then maybe add a 121 or 160 mic option to the other cab slot to make it sound fuller.
Now make sure that in global settings you have:
  • Poweramp modeling ON
  • Cabinet modeling ON
  • Output EQ OFF
In I/O settings:
  • Input 1 pad: 0 db (try higher if you use active pickups the input LEDs are clipping)
  • Output 1 mode: Stereo
  • Output 1 level: -10 dBV
  • Output 1 phase: Normal
After that anything else is caused by what else is connected. Those Adam studio monitors should be perfectly fine for this and should sound good. It is very possible that the room and their placement messes up with how it all sounds. Studio monitors usually have some dip switches in the back to account for placing them close to a wall or in a corner. Use them.

Posting a clip and what sounds you are going for would go a long way. Based on your Fryette comment I guess you are after high gain tones. Most of the amp models paired with an appropriate cab sim should sound good enough without any adjustment.

Please please please don’t hate me, but today I was setting up to record the video to send you guys the boxed sound, and read about maybe making monitors ear level. (Very new to this) so I put them on some old mounts That I was using for tv speakers to get raised level. I apologize to the fractal team and especially @austinbuddy. I guess just even raising them from about 2 and a half feet to now about 4 ft did something and if it’s a placebo effect I’ll take it. Everything is sounding so amazing now with the tweaks you guys recommended and (thanks @chris) that run about noon on the montiors mixed with I guess just making the more ear level really got this thing going. Once again, I’m so sorry I put you guys through this trouble.

Please please please don’t hate me, but today I was setting up to record the video to send you guys the boxed sound, and read about maybe making monitors ear level. (Very new to this) so I put them on some old mounts That I was using for tv speakers to get raised level. I apologize to the fractal team and especially @austinbuddy. I guess just even raising them from about 2 and a half feet to now about 4 ft did something and if it’s a placebo effect I’ll take it. Everything is sounding so amazing now with the tweaks you guys recommended and (thanks @chris) that run about noon on the montiors mixed with I guess just making the more ear level really got this thing going. Once again, I’m so sorry I put you guys through this trouble.
That is too cool. A simple fix that completely explains why you were having the problem and why none of us could reproduce it!

Long story short: if you don’t want a blanket over your sound, you have to be able to hear the tweeters in your monitors.

99% of people on this forum are here to help you find a solution to your problem, no matter how (seemingly) simple it might be. We have all had the experience of not liking what we hear only to figure out that there was a simple solution that we simply overlooked. Nothing to be ashamed of at all. The fact that you got it figured out and are satisfied with what you're hearing is awesome. Enjoy it!

I guess they lived up to being Near Field Monitors.😉 All joking aside, I’m so happy you were able to figure out what was happening. Now get to rocking.👍👍👍

I have to admit one thing this forum and all the tech involving modeling is teaching me is it has its own set of specifics that are similar to other audio circumstances, but also some differences that need to be addressed from a slightly different perspective or consideration.

Last edited:
Cool, glad you got it sorted! No need to apologize, you had an issue and took the time to look for an answer. The main solution may not have been a direct result of the responses but you were open to explore any possible reason for the problem. Enjoy your newfound tone monster!

I want to love this thing coming from an AXE FX 2, but everything sounds so muffled which was not the case with the 2. I’ve had it for over a year now and always find myself trying to tweak something and it just never sounds right compared to the Axe 2, so end up just playing on an old modler amp I have.

Started with Yamaha HS8 and it blew my speaker not even going half way on the output, so that was costly. Went and bought a pair of Adam’s A7X and purchased the Austin Buddy presets, and besides a heavily tweaked Fryette model I can manage to make Decent, all of my presets (Austin Buddy’s and 5.3 presets) sounds like a big blanket over them and nothing like the sounds you hear all over SoundCloud and YouTube.

Have tried 2 different guitars and using Mogami brand cables all around.

Did the research and there is no padding or anything going on, but just wondering if any other options? I heard the Austin Buddy’s were supposed to sound good from the get go, and just not happening for me, so any help would be appreciated.
Try this preset that I use live and see if it changes anything. Set your output EQ to the pic below

Attachments

• Brit JVM OD1.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 12.01.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 12.01.35 PM.png
    368.2 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom