*Solved* FM3 into Apollo solo no signal - help please 🙏

Brian Dean-O

Inspired
I have my singing mic hooked into XLR 1 in the back of Apollo, sounds fabulous 🎉
Out 1 on my FM3 going into XLR 2 into the back of Apollo. Set to Line (as opposed to Mic) no audio coming through.
Can someone help me get my FM3 setup good to go with my Apollo solo please.

Someone elsewhere suggested it’s because I’m using XLR to XLR like I always do and that I should be running XLR to TRS instead, does that sound right for Fractal?

I’m not using the guitar Hi Z or whatever input on the front I’m plugging into the back, the Apollo has combo jacks that accept either XLR or TRS, would changing one end of the cable being used here to TRS make a difference? I ask because for example on my V2 FR10 the input in the back of it has combo jacks as does all the inputs on my Focusrite and I use this same XLR to XLR cable for all of that and it works fine why would it be different for the Apollo.

I’m not sure that’s it.
What could I be doing wrong though.

Are you sending any audio to output 1 (including turning up the output 1 level knob)? You can confirm that on the meters page of the main screen, or listen to the headphone output.
Audio is going to Out 1 as always yes, plugged headphones in to make sure.

XLR to XLR should work just fine. Maybe try a different cable or try going into XLR 1 instead. You could also try the MIC on XLR 2 to make sure it's working.

XLR to XLR should work just fine. Maybe try a different cable or try going into XLR 1 instead. You could also try the MIC on XLR 2 to make sure it's working.
Okay so I can get signal going into XLR 1 input on Apollo.
Something is not right with this though…

1. Mainly…It sounds like a blanket has been thrown over my FM3 sound. FM3 into SPDIF on my Focusrite like I usually do sounds WAY better, clearer. This sounds like crap.
2. I have to set it to Mic rather than Line. Makes no sense and luckily I thought to turn off 48v phantom power before trying because if not and something had happened I’d be pissed and why should I have to switch it to Mic rather than Line anyways…..
3. The microphone works in XLR 2 just like it does in XLR 1, why would Mic work in both spots but FM3 only work in one spot??

Fractal XLR outputs are protected against phantom power. It won't cause any damage if it's left on.

Do you have the OUT knob turned up? It also depends on the output level selected in the I/O menu. I believe it defaults to -10 dBV but can be changed to +4 dBu for a hotter output.

Swap the XLR cables to make sure the cable isn't the issue.

Fractal XLR outputs are protected against phantom power. It won't cause any damage if it's left on.

Do you have the OUT knob turned up? It also depends on the output level selected in the I/O menu. I believe it defaults to -10 dBV but can be changed to +4 dBu for a hotter output.

Swap the XLR cables to make sure the cable isn't the issue.
I have my Fractal set to +4.
The Out 1 knob is at about Noon, I moved it around some varying between eleven o clock to two o clock just to see if it changes the tone…changes the volume but not the tone. I get plenty of volume but the tone sounds not right at all.
Sounds the same using both cables.
The FM3 sounds SO good through SPDIF via my Focusrite into my studio monitors, through my FR10 (out the same output and with the same cable as what I’m using on the Apollo mind you) and through a PS200 into my 4x12 cab…nice and clear stellar tone but plugged into my Apollo it just doesn’t sound the same.

Theoretically shouldn’t it sound the same going Out 1 to Apollo to studio monitors as it does going SPDIF to Focusrite to studio monitors??

I have my Fractal set to +4.
The Out 1 knob is at about Noon, I moved it around some varying between eleven o clock to two o clock just to see if it changes the tone…changes the volume but not the tone. I get plenty of volume but the tone sounds not right at all.
Sounds the same using both cables.
The FM3 sounds SO good through SPDIF via my Focusrite into my studio monitors, through my FR10 (out the same output and with the same cable as what I’m using on the Apollo mind you) and through a PS200 into my 4x12 cab…nice and clear stellar tone but plugged into my Apollo it just doesn’t sound the same.

Theoretically shouldn’t it sound the same going Out 1 to Apollo to studio monitors as it does going SPDIF to Focusrite to studio monitors??
Turn the fm3 volume all the way down, connect xlr directly to your monitors, play and turn up slowly. How does it sound?

Turn the fm3 volume all the way down, connect xlr directly to your monitors, play and turn up slowly. How does it sound?
Normal.
Make sure Global EQ is flat.
It’s flat.

Well at this point I’m aggravated I will speak with UA support but I suspect that the preamp is heavily coloring/muddying my guitar tone, I’m kind of wishing I woulda got the Twin instead of the Solo so that I’d have another SPDIF to just run it that way as I’m assuming that’s got to be what it is.

If I keep the solo at this point it’ll be for vocals and that’s it (unless we find out there’s a way to fix this) and I’ll just keep using my Focusrite SPDIF for tracking guitar.

Yeah, I found this on the UA website:

"If you have your input set to LINE but are connecting via XLR, or if you have your input set to MIC but are connecting via 1/4" TRS, that would cause no input to show on the Apollo."

Looks like Mic input level is dedicated to the XLR inputs and Line input level is dedicated to the 1/4" inputs on the Apollo.

Back
Top Bottom