Solid State amps, are they going to be here someday?

Valvestate, the horror of cork sniffers.
No. The horror of a young metal heads that cannot have better than that.
I was far from being a “cork sniffers” at my teens trying to have a decent metal tones with my band. It was just depressing to have that type of amp🤣. The metal zone saved our lives. 😁
Check that,check that pain in his eyes :

You ears bleed with that tone because we always push it as far as possible because of the drums. It was horrible haha.
Joke appart, no problems everyone, that’s a forum. Let’s keep it friendly👍🏻

No. The horror of a young metal heads that cannot have better than that.
I was far from being a “cork sniffers” at my teens trying to have a decent metal tones with my band. It was just depressing to have that type of amp🤣. The metal zone saved our lives. 😁
Check that,check that pain in his eyes :

You ears bleed with that tone because we always push it as far as possible because of the drums. It was horrible haha.
Joke appart, no problems everyone, that’s a forum. Let’s keep it friendly👍🏻

Man, I wish I had a Valvestate! As a teenager I plugged a Turbo Rat directly into my stereo and tried to get a metal sound out of it. As you probably can imagine - I failed. Next step: 10W Park (by Marshall) 1x10“ combo amp & the inevitable Metal Zone. Failed again. :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
I hope Cliff comes here to give his opinion on things so they guys that are showing hate to SS amps return here and write something like "I'm waiting those amps too 😍😍"

I completely agree with everything @My name is mud has said, we're clearly from a similar era and experience.

Don't want to sound like an old fart, but that's exactly it - there was a whole suite of Marshalls which started with the Valvestate and continued through a whole lot of other amps (including all valve) which were just dreadful, and killed them for a generation.

(Random thought, but maybe contributed to many of the great amps we have now being around, if they'd kept building on the success of JCM800/Jubilee, maybe half the other companies wouldn't have come into being).

There's a reason why so many of us welcomed tech like the Zoom little pedal, and then the Pandora from Korg - which lead to the Pod etc. was there was just nothing good being made.

Peavey at that time is my one pleasant memory, Marshall was bad, Boogie were so over priced in the UK, Fender was making and pushing into dealers some very odd stuff - Fender Princeton Chorus anyone? I had one of those, solid state and crushing disappointment. I could go on.

I would like the L5 because that's the only reason I don't sound like BB, but the rest - really, the amps in the Fractal are just so much better - or buy and original, they're always for sale (does that tell you something?)

Two extreme metal albums from 1995. In my opinion, Demanufacture has the scooped to heckola mids, the aggression, etc without the.. khhhhhkkkkkccccccccccccc sound in the high end, and when I listen closely right now the clarity in chords is pretty terrible on the Valvestate, the chords don't seem to ring out quite right. That's the difference between a modded JCM800 versus a Valvestate.

Honestly, where do you get off calling other members 'trolls', just because they might want something that you don't?

As for 'weird nostalgia': asking for a SS Marshall, or Session, or Laney, or Peavey, or Crate from the 90s is odd, but wanting 70 year old classic tweeds is fine?

If you started a thread asking for the latest RevvMarMesaSol 100W valve amp to be modelled, I might not agree that resources should be used to achieve it, but I would feel arrogant and self-serving if I called you a 'troll' because of it.

From several posters to this thread, we have a list of at least 10 SS amps that have been identified as having some kind of merit, so it's clear that this is far from just a few agitators being peverse.

Nobody is lauding SS amps as being the pinnacle of tone, but like a Ford Fiesta vs. a Porsche 911, everything has its strengths and its uses.

Isn't it shocking to see so many closed-minded so-called creatives? Why would they even be attracted to such a tool like the AxeFx, why, someone might make a sound with it that they don't like at a concert they've never been to!

So entrenched in the idea that they are right that they cannot even fathom a different opinion. Whatever happened to throwing paint everywhere and seeing what comes of it. I guess they'd prefer that every band sounds exactly the same, and fucking boring to boot.

I think meritocracy wins here doesn't it? To slightly reword Buddah's previous comment, these are "... niche requests for niche sounds". What's more deserving of the R&D time and expense to bring an amp to the Fractal lineup, ones that have been consistently favored and used in wide applications over long periods of time or (and lets be real here) amps that were used on maybe a handful of notable recordings and dare I say it not really very good sounding.

From a basic business angle the former point makes by far the most sense and as such, we can all request away until the cows come home but ultimately we're probably not going to be catered to.

Now, about this Trace Elliot Super Tramp..............

More Dynacabs (and dynacabs for FM3 and FM9) over any SS amp any time of the day. Sorry! Not because I don't like it or anything, but because some things are just matter more than others. I'm very interested in DV amp models myself, but can wait another year or never, don't really care.
What I find important is that there are real people behind the product, not a corporate monster. They choose to implement what they like or interested in, not necessarily looking at the number of votes in polls or some marketing research. I'm very happy with their choices.
From the Iron Maiden news I'd say if someone big would request something rare and solid-state, we'd probably get it too, but so far some of the "pre" drive block pedals will do just fine as SS amp models.

Isn't it shocking to see so many closed-minded so-called creatives? Why would they even be attracted to such a tool like the AxeFx, why, someone might make a sound with it that they don't like at a concert they've never been to!

So entrenched in the idea that they are right that they cannot even fathom a different opinion. Whatever happened to throwing paint everywhere and seeing what comes of it. I guess they'd prefer that every band sounds exactly the same, and fucking boring to boot.
I only saw a VERY FEW arguing your request. This reply is uncalled for.

The ValveState amps are a whole class of amps, from combos to heads, and they are NOT all the same sound. I’d admit that some sounded like straight ass, but there were some notable exceptions. The VS8100 head sounded CRUSHING if dialed-in correctly and that Contour knob could really help put the final touches on the sound. There is no point in lumping all of the ValveState amps into one group and saying they were terrible just because the ones you heard sucked. They are not all the same.

Also, some of the Randall tones( especially DimeBag’s tone) are iconic sounds that have been long wished-for in the forums. These are more than one-off tones that only appeared on a an album or two. Dozens of well-known artists have used Randall and other SS amps and sounded fantastic doing it. I think the request is perfectly legit and minimizing, mocking or down-playing the request as nostalgia or saying people want models of cheap Crate or Gorilla amps is not accurate or helpful.

That said, Marshall ValveState 8100 (head version) and Randall RG100ES please!! 🙂

I think meritocracy wins here doesn't it? To slightly reword Buddah's previous comment, these are "... niche requests for niche sounds". What's more deserving of the R&D time and expense to bring an amp to the Fractal lineup, ones that have been consistently favored and used in wide applications over long periods of time or (and lets be real here) amps that were used on maybe a handful of notable recordings and dare I say it not really very good sounding.

From a basic business angle the former point makes by far the most sense and as such, we can all request away until the cows come home but ultimately we're probably not going to be catered to.

Now, about this Trace Elliot Super Tramp..............

Fair point! However, Helix has vintage Orange, Sunn, Silvertone, Park, Supro, those are pretty niche as well but appeal to some of us at least enough to own both modelers.

Last edited:
I only saw a VERY FEW arguing your request. This reply is uncalled for.
What was that about free speech? Oh yeah... I guess you meant only if it meets your criteria.
I have no preference, Musicman 112RD 50 with a huge EV-? 250? in t. Weighed a ton, sounded killer. was my amp for many, many years. Loved it. It was a HYBRID.
But is there really a "sound" you cannot get out of the Axefx? There isn't for me. Tubes or SS, makes no difference to me-it's the sound I get, not the schematic. Just sayin. I would love to have my MM back though-just because!
I do believe that people can wish and ask for whatever they want. Free speech and all.................

Back
Top Bottom