Sold it all and taking the plunge

I also have a JVM 410H with a 1960 cab. Don't have the heart to get rid of it.
Even though I haven't turned it on since getting my Axe in October.

The JVM amp models in the Axe Fx seem really authentic to me!
Sell it and buy a cool guitar! :)

I kept my JVM210H with 1960AV an 1960BV cabs for 8 months. I got tired of forking out money on light rentals every gig where house lights are plain and meanwhile this full stack just sitting there losing value, so I traded my full stack in for a nice LED start up consisting of;
- two quadpar tri's - LED Quadpar Tri MKII
- two 6-spots - American DJ Homepage
- two megabars - American DJ Homepage
- Obey70 controller - Products » Obey
- and a Hurricane Haze II 3D - Products » Hurricane

I only lost about $600 of the retail I paid for the JVM stack but already made my $600 back not paying for rentals in a month and a 1/2. So just pointing out, there are other options than selling on fleabay or craigslists and the like. I also am using my old FCB1010 foot controller for our singer to trigger scene changes. Sadly it's pretty limited, you can only select scenes and chases, but not speed or dim, but it works for a classic metal and hard rock cover performance.

"Sold it all and taking the plunge"... Did you post on Craigslist recently? ;) :D

just kidding, quite forum internal joke I guess. Welcome and too bad you dont have that Marshall cabinet still. would made a nice IR

Rock On!

Congrats man!

Read up on Cliff's Notes section, the manual, and wiki while you're waiting to help curb the curve.

Then give yourself time with the machine and you won't miss any of your old gear.

Oh, and +1 to what Severed said. Look at used POD HD500's too, since they have a built in expression pedal. I use it with my AFXII without any problems.

Question about this - I have a hd500x - will that allow me to really use the Axe Fx II XL live in a similar way as if I had the MFC or other controllers similar to that?

Thank you for any help,
Brian

Question about this - I have a hd500x - will that allow me to really use the Axe Fx II XL live in a similar way as if I had the MFC or other controllers similar to that?

Thank you for any help,
Brian

I used a HD500 with the Axe for quite a while. It can be used in a couple of ways depending upon your needs and it works fine. The added value is that you have a built-in backup solution should anything happen to your Axe during a gig. I eventually moved to an MFC because I wanted a more elaborate pedalboard with multiple expression pedals, but the Pod HD is a fine solution.

"Sold it all and taking the plunge"... Did you post on Craigslist recently? ;) :D

just kidding, quite forum internal joke I guess.

I saw that post. Got a good laugh out of it. It's actually where I chose the title for this thread.

I've had and sold a lot of cool gear over the years (including an original Blackface Fender Twin Reverb that I still kind of regret). But, I am a tinkerer at heart. If I'm completely honest, I'm probably more tinkerer than player.

I was looking for a Flanger and Phaser to add to my board. I'm literally on my laptop, looking at my pedal board and all the gear taking up space in my home office and thought to myself, "$300 on two pedals to add to everything else taking up space, there has to be a better way." I found the axe fx online, did some reading, and a few days later posted everything for sale.

I kept my Tweed Champ clone. Not that I think I'll need it, but it was the first amp I built and has some sentimental value.

You fool!

(The Axe II could have done more that you can cover in a year...)

But congrats! The Kool Aide actually grants you longer life...

Welcome and I hope you enjoy your AxeFX as much as I have on both my Ultra and my II. Another point (that someone may have already mention, sorry if they have) is to remember how much volume can make a difference in your perceived sound. I was thinking about swapping out the pickups on a Les Paul copy I built, since it just didn't seem to sound that good with my AxeFX. Before changing anything, I had a day where I was the only one in the house so I turned it up a bit louder. Viola, the tone and sustain just knocked my socks off. I know it sounds like your not always able to do this either, but for what it's worth.

Cheers,

Lee

So you didn't got an MFC yet? Since you bought the II XL, I recommend grabbing a simple non-latching footswitch and an expression pedal to connect to the pedal jacks of your Axe. This will give you the most basic functionality: incrementing presets and volume/wah. That should get you through the time you are waiting for the mfc. ;)

And as you can connect both to the MFC aswell, it's not wasted money either, like a cheap midi board would be.

I'm just waiting for the invitation e-mail for my Axe FX II XL. It's been a while since I've been this excited about a gear purchase.

I stand right there with the guys that say they could not be happier with the AxeFX…This really is the greatest thing to become of the electric guitar! However….I caution you to be patient and open minded when you finally power-up for your first experience. Not to put down FAS or anyone else, but I was not that impressed with most of the factory presets. I pretty much took them as examples of what the various effects and tools are capable of. Now…when I got serious with this machine and started mixing, matching, and tweeking….OMG! what a piece of gear! YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

I used a HD500 with the Axe for quite a while. It can be used in a couple of ways depending upon your needs and it works fine. The added value is that you have a built-in backup solution should anything happen to your Axe during a gig. I eventually moved to an MFC because I wanted a more elaborate pedalboard with multiple expression pedals, but the Pod HD is a fine solution.

Thank you! I'll have to check it out - never even thought of it as a potential controller.

I've nary regretted a moment for selling my mkIII for my axe, I'm lucky that I plugged my axe in to my old peavey pa and thought it sounded bloody great! Still do.. Rock on man

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

yup. You are going to be fine. this coming from a long time tube amp snob that has completely converted over to the axe-fx 2. I have recorded with it and I've been using it live now in love the unit

You could pick up a used Boss GT-10 and use it as a midi controller for a while. I've seen them for sale from $150 to $200. I used one for two years with an Ultra then an Axe II. I was able to control a fair amount of stuff in the Axe II with it.

It's no where near as good as the MFC but it works pretty good...plus you can use it as a backup.

I don't know yet. I don't play outside of my home, so leaning towards a pair of powered studio monitors. I'll need to do some more reading.

may i suggest the Adam F5 or F7 series. for the money i have yet to hear anything thats more accurate and better on the ears. i personally have the F7's. i think i paid $800 for the pair, F5's are even cheaper. holy smokes!!!!!!! of course, choose what you want but these are the real deal! enjoy the axe fx, its the coolest thing you'll ever own!!

Back
Top Bottom