Sold a guitar. Shipped it via UPS. Receiver claims he did not receive it...

I've had packages get shipped to the wrong address and had to ask several neighbors before I found it. I've also had a package that was claimed to have been delivered and 4 days later actually was. But I had to complain to UPS that it wasn't delivered and they somehow found it and delivered it. It happens... That's why you ALWAYS have them sign for it when selling a product to someone and you always insure it. You don't know them and they could be scammers.

Reverb safe shipping is just shipping insurance. It doesn’t protect you from scam buyers. From personal experience, I can tell you if someone swaps an item for a non-functioning one or claims the package only contained bricks, you will probably not get paid.
I have sold a guitar, and I took it to the UPS store, and made a complete video of the case open with the guitar, showing the serial number, my packing it, closing the package, handing it over to the UPS guy who affixes a label to it and says he witnessed me packing it up - all on a continuous video shot, which I upload to the buyer as well right after I shipped it. Just in case!

That's between UPS and the receiver isn't it? You entrusted it to UPS - they took ownership of it and say they delivered it. I wouldn't refund the money if UPS is saying they delivered it.
I agree 100%. The receiver seems pretty ignorant and demanding. I've asked him to ask his neighbors, the driver, contact his local hub, etc, but he seems pretty set on me sending his money back. I'm just not going to do that. I shipped the guitar. My eBay and Reverb feedback is stellar.

Bend over and grab your ankles buddy you're about to get shafted.
If you have to use one of these services to sell your gear online, signature confirmation, full insurance, package it well, and hope your not selling to a politician, cause you gonna get robbed. I'm considering selling my last tube amp with the jump in value, but don't roll the dice, it's gonna be local or I'll just keep it. Too many folks used to scamming Amazon and have no problem doing it to your also.

Bend over and grab your ankles buddy you're about to get shafted.
If you have to use one of these services to sell your gear online, signature confirmation, full insurance, package it well, and hope your not selling to a politician, cause you gonna get robbed. I'm considering selling my last tube amp with the jump in value, but don't roll the dice, it's gonna be local or I'll just keep it. Too many folks used to scamming Amazon and have no problem doing it to your also.
I hope you're wrong. We'll find out soon enough...

That's why you ALWAYS have them sign for it when selling a product to someone and you always insure it. You don't know them and they could be scammers.
This is good advice if your UPS driver ever actually attempts to get the signature. Since the start of the pandemic I’ve purchased several guitars and other items that were marked “signature required” that were delivered by the UPS driver and no attempt was made to get anyone to sign. The one time I was able to catch my driver I asked if I need to sign he told me that he’d take care of it.

Maybe it’s just my driver, but I imagine it happens more often than not.

Just for everyone's info, signature confirmation is very hit or miss. Especially since the pandemic started.

Most carriers seem to not be enforcing them. At least here in Northern California.

And in the last several years I've had at least 5 packages delivered that belong to the same recipient at the same address number on the next street over. Not sure why they can't tell the streets apart...

So sorry to hear this happened to you. That is never fun especially with something as valuable and hard to ship as a guitar.

I think in general, the seller is responsible for the item until the item is marked as "Delivered". Once the postal service or UPS/FEDEX etc. mark it as delivered, you are no longer responsible if it is lost. Basically, if a porch pirate stole the package, it is on the buyer, but if it was lost in shipping, it is on the seller.

Just file a claim with UPS. They scan at delivery and can start a trace. I agree that most circumstances favor the buyer. Even credit card companies favor the card holders however the fact it says delivered kind of shifts some responsibilities away from the seller.

It's not the pandemic screwing up signatures. I bought a guitar from sweetwater in 2014, paid extra $15 to Fed Ex for signature on delivery. Late October in NY is chilly (40's during the day). I have no problem driving down to Fed Ex's hub (10 miles at the most) if I'm not home at delivery time. Specifically stated I did not want the package sitting on my porch all day. I was assured signature would be required. Get home from work and there is the guitar box on my front porch in 35*f weather. Thankfully no damage. But if I was the dishonest type, Fed Ex would have bought me a second guitar or paid the $1800 for the cost of the guitar. "Sorry, I never got it, I didn't sign for it." I could never, but I know people who have.

so what is the best way and platform to sell? reverb vs ebay? others?
Guitar Center. They'll take a bigger cut, but it's worth it to not have to deal with listing, shipping, lowballers, and scam buyers. The way I look at it, if you run into one or two scam buyers, which is inevitable, you won't get paid a dime for the items they bought from you, and overall you'd make more money selling to GC, even after giving them their cut. It didn't used to be this way, but selling gear online has changed.

Ya ive seen too many of these....

As a buyer,

I've stopped getting home deliver, and get it shipped to a store drop off so #1 it won't get stolen or lost, #2 no one but me can retrieve it, and #3 if there's any damage they can't question it.

As a seller,

Using reverb, no refunds. Sold as is. Shipping insurance required. ID and signature required on delivery. I make sure the shipper adheres when shipping.

You gotta protect yourself.

I don't even understand why Reverb has an option for "as is - no refunds" because someone can still file a claim on what you sold them, and Reverb will still get into it on their behalf. It really doesn't mean shit.

so what is the best way and platform to sell? reverb vs ebay? others?

Cash. Local transaction.

It sucks, because my local market is deader than hell. I can put an amazing deal up, like cheap enough that someone could get it from me, and flip it on Reverb and make money if they wanted to, and the gear will sit. I'll get emails from people from L.A. wanting me to bring it to them, or meet halfway, and I've done it a few times for expensive gear. San Diego is a pit.

I just don't want to get ripped off by a shitty buyer again if I have to ship something.

Not true. Last year I had a buyer ask for a refund saying the item was damaged. After a few back and forth messages it was obvious that there was no damage and it was a case of buyers remorse. This was a $2000 sale BTW.
Reverb was contacted by the buyer, Reverb contacted me to work out a refund. Reverb then denied the refund to the buyer after I pointed out I had sold the listing “as described“ and I clearly had “no returns, no refunds, all sales final” in my listing. At this point it was all between the buyer and Reverb since I was paid via Reverbs direct payment.
The buyer then tried to claim it was damaged in shipping and was denied.
The buyer then filed a claim through PayPal. PayPal did side with the buyer but since I used Reverbs payment it was Reverb who had to deal with PayPal.

My point to all of this is if you used the Reverb Payment option and there’s proof of delivery, your in the clear. It will be Reverb who collected the PayPal payment and it will be on them. Also, PayPal sides with the buyer 95% of the time.

If there was a Signature showing proof of delivery you would be in the clear and it would be on UPS. Without any proof of delivery your most likely hosed.

EBAY always sides with buyer - sent 250$ headphone amp to Fla. from Ma. - cant blame buyer though

Who I blame is USPS - They lost it and told me to pound sand - scumbags - They lost all of my business

Last edited:
EBAY always sides with buyer - sent 250$ headphone map to Fla. from Ma. - cant blame buyer though

Who I blame is USPS - They lost it and told me to pound sand - scumbags - They lost all of my business
Our local USPS is notorious for losing packages. I stopped shipping through them after one bad experience, but I can't prevent people from shipping items to me from USPS. Our USPS seems to lose 10-20% of the packages coming our way, so I am pretty used to dealing with lost incoming packages. I always warn Reverb sellers to not use USPS to ship to me, but I can't control what method people use to ship. I'm sure other USPS locations are better, ours just seems inept.

Back
Top Bottom