So what should I do with my IEM?

shinodax

Hey guys,

I've got a UE triple fi and I was thinking of using it as IEM on stage. I don't play on big stage but I wish to have a proper monitoring system for myself. I hope there is a decent one below $200. This will be the 1st time using IEM on stage. Please give me some advice. Thanks.

Do you mean a different IEM under $200? If so, I was going to recommend the SuperFi 5 Pro since they were dual driver with great sound and a detachable cable, but it appears they no longer make them since Avid took over (thanks Avid). The SuperFi 3 (single driver) is now the only universal fit model besides the TripleFi that has a detachable cable.

I have no experience with other inexpensive monitors that seal. Personally, I'd never buy one that did not have a detachable/replaceable cable.

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking though since you said you were thinking of using the TripleFi onstage. Did you mean a wireless transmitter/receiver?

whatever you decide to do, the one thing you should NOT do is go cheap on your IEM system! so many people cut corners on their IEM system and then complain because it doesn't sound good. Think about why you bought an Axe-Fx; you certainly could have went with a cheaper processor (there are several on the market), but you wanted the best sound possible, right? so why go bargain basement with your IEM setup? A lot people spend a lot of money on their earbuds and then plug them into a cheap IEM system, then they can't understand why their high priced earbuds don't sound very good. do yourself a favor; save your money until you can get both a pro level set of earbuds and a pro level IEM system. You will be glad you did...

Steph

I agree. I originally tried to get off cheap with a wireless IEM system, only to use a hardwire cable after horrendous results. I know of nothing in the $200 range as far as transmitter/receiver systems that aren't garbage. That's why I assumed he might be talking about earbuds.

ok guys. I've the the IEM and I just need the system for it. It can be either wireless or non wireless. I also don't mind monitoring just my guitar signal as I will only be wearing 1 side of the IEM. =) Most of the wireless I saw like the better Shure PSM series is really expensive for me and I won't be using it so often. I saw the Rock-on audio system on youtube which seems to be pretty cool to me but it's kind of pricey for it being a non wireless system.

You say you already have your ear-monitors. To get them hooked up to the mix, you can go wired or wireless. For wired, check out the Rolls PM55 or the Rolls PM351 (both are under US$100).

Any decent wireless rigs will be more expensive than US$200. You should stay away from any wireless unit (transmitter + receiver) at the US$200 price point, unless you happen upon a fantastic deal on a quality used unit.

Perfect! thats the answer I need. I will go for the wired one 1st cos i know that budget wireless units are really shitty and my friend owns 1. I will check the Rolls IEM system out. THANKS!

shinodax said:
Perfect! thats the answer I need. I will go for the wired one 1st cos i know that budget wireless units are really shitty and my friend owns 1. I will check the Rolls IEM system out. THANKS!

For on stage wired, I use the Mackie 402-VLZ3 mixer. $99 US new. I got one used on ebay for $40 US.

Richard

Hey thanks for the recommendation! Can you explain to me how your IEM system works? I'm kinda confused with the rig setup as this is the 1st time I am using IEM. Thanks!

shinodax said:
Hey thanks for the recommendation! Can you explain to me how your IEM system works? I'm kinda confused with the rig setup as this is the 1st time I am using IEM. Thanks!

I use three channels of the Mackie for my instrument, vocal and an aux send from the FOH board with a few instruments for pitch and the rest of the band's vocals.

Guitar / Bass split -> Mackie 402
Vocal Mic split -> Mackine 402
Aux Send from FOH mixer -> Mackie 402

Then I either use the Mackie headphone out -> Future Sonic Atrio IEMs (or the Mackie main out -> powered wedge when I'm not going IEM).

I have a mic stand mount on the Mackie and it is mounted low on my vocal mic stand so I can dial in the mix as I go.

Richard

shinodax said:
ok guys. I've the the IEM and I just need the system for it. It can be either wireless or non wireless. I also don't mind monitoring just my guitar signal as I will only be wearing 1 side of the IEM. =) .

dont do that... that is horrible for your ears.... to test do this. put in some ear buds.. start up some music and a decent volume, pull one. listen to how much quieter it is. what you end up doing is blasting the volume to compensate, thus jacking up your ear in the process.

barhrecords> Thanks! The set up seems pretty long to me. I was thinking I get the system and put it together into my rack. Everything will be controlled there. Basically, I just want to minimize the set up time on stage. What if I'm monitoring just my guitar signal, what do you think?

dpeterson > yeah 1 of my friend told me that and it's true. 1 side of the ear will be cranked up and blast the shit out of my ear which is really bad. I guess I will stick with both side and also it sounds much better :p :p

shinodax said:
barhrecords> Thanks! The set up seems pretty long to me. I was thinking I get the system and put it together into my rack. Everything will be controlled there. Basically, I just want to minimize the set up time on stage. What if I'm monitoring just my guitar signal, what do you think?

dpeterson > yeah 1 of my friend told me that and it's true. 1 side of the ear will be cranked up and blast the shit out of my ear which is really bad. I guess I will stick with both side and also it sounds much better :p :p

Most earbuds are designed to isolate the ambient sound. So if you are not micing or DI'ing the other band members, you will not be able to hear them very well. That is typically why people experiment with one ear bud; to hear some ambient sound + a personal mix. The problem with that is, you tend to crank the one earbud to compete with the ambient sound and end up with excessive SPL, aka too loud to be safe.

IMO, I found the IEM's unsatisfying. I play in amatuer bands. We don't always fully mic the drums. Our sound man is volunteer and was overwhelmed trying to get 6+ separate mixes going plus FOH; we don't have a separate monitor engineer. I use a powered wedge + mini mixer for that reason.

For amatuers, if you are playing rock music with a full up drum kit, and want to use IEM's, I would recommend investing in a mix from the stage system like Hearback or Axiom, YMMV.

Richard

barhrecords said:
shinodax said:

Most earbuds are designed to isolate the ambient sound. So if you are not micing or DI'ing the other band members, you will not be able to hear them very well. That is typically why people experiment with one ear bud; to hear some ambient sound + a personal mix. The problem with that is, you tend to crank the one earbud to compete with the ambient sound and end up with excessive SPL, aka too loud to be safe.

IMO, I found the IEM's unsatisfying. I play in amatuer bands. We don't always fully mic the drums. Our sound man is volunteer and was overwhelmed trying to get 6+ separate mixes going plus FOH; we don't have a separate monitor engineer. I use a powered wedge + mini mixer for that reason.

For amatuers, if you are playing rock music with a full up drum kit, and want to use IEM's, I would recommend investing in a mix from the stage system like Hearback or Axiom, YMMV.

Richard

Seems like IEM is not really good for amatuer bands. Require a lot of good engineers and set up time. I was thinking of getting the personal monitor amp like Rolls pm55 or pm351 and leave it in my rack. I will wear both sides of the IE and tweak to the best volume to monitor both my guitar and ambience. My IE is not fully isolated so I can hear the loud music around me. That will save a lot of time set up as I'm facing a situation whereby most performance have 30mins including set up time and sound check. I know it's really shitty tts why I got myself an AXE FX ULTRA. I cant waste much time on stage setting up. what a pity.

Those systems u recommended look really complicated for me. lol. thanks for the advice once again.

First,

I wanted to C&P this from an article by Keith Gordon:

One v. Two IEMs

To overcome some of the limitations of IEMs, such as isolation from the audience, some performers will wear just one IEM. This is not a recommended solution, and it is important that performers wear an IEM in each ear, for many reasons. Our body’s natural hearing protection mechanism, the tympanic reflex, works with both ears together. Its effectiveness is diminished when one ear is protected, because it leaves the open ear more vulnerable to loud sounds. There is also a stereophonic boost (approximately 6 dB) in perceived volume when two earphones are used together. You can try this yourself with a set of earphones and an MP3 player. Start by listening to just one earphone then putting in the second without turning up the volume. The perceived volume of the first earphone will seem to increase when the second earphone is added. Therefore the converse of this, using one IEM, means the volume must be 6 dB louder to get the same perceived volume, thus exposing the IEM ear to unnecessarily excessive volume. It also halves the listening time before the onset of hearing damage.

The entire article can be found here and it is something you might want to look at:

http://www.audiologyonline.com/articles ... le_id=2115

Second,

Since you managed to scrape together the money for an Axe-Fx, you should be able to scrape together some money to get a decent IEM system. believe me when I say it is WELL worth it! As I've posted in the past, I do 80-100 shows a year. I hear everything with my IEM system and the sound is amazing. IEM systems have been around a long time and the improvements of the years is remarkable.

Whenever you see professional shows (concerts, live video, etc.), you will see the performers using IEMs about 99.99% of the time. Since we all know that pros can usually get their hands on any gear they, you have to ask yourself the question; if IEMs are so horrible and unsatisfying, why do so many pros use them?

Steph

Back
Top Bottom