So: What is the best way to make your guitar sound like a bass?

Abboehm

I know, I know; I should just go out and buy a cheap bass. Thing is I just need something that'll work for presenting ideas to our bass player. If I could record something similar to the sound of a real bass, making it stand out from my guitar tracks, it'll be cool.

Actually I just tried it briefly, but it wasn't as easy as I thought I would be ...

So how do you guys make your guitar sound like a bass? What amp, cab and effect?

Thx!

Hahaha - look: If I had Money to spare, I'd buy another Atomic CLR ... maybe a Fender Strat, a presonus mixer ... a new Macbook Pro ... and then (maybe) a bass :)

"I just need something that'll work for presenting ideas to our bass player. "

pitch block [octave down] -> amp block[any bass amp] -> cab block[cab block]

I mean, if you are ok with the guitar dropped an octave as a bass why do you care too much about the settings? Just set it where it sounds good to you.

A second hand bass is the best option if you're serious about presenting ideas to your bass player.. And I find playing ideas on the actual instrument (bass) rather than on a guitar with a pitch shifter/using the synth, gives you a much better feel for writing bass parts..

Long term it's the best option, however if you can't go that route, try the whammy an oct down blending a small bit of the dry signal. Or experiment with the synth block..

Or if you have a DAW, you could program your ideas..

Maaaaaaan - Now I have to go out and by a bass!!!
I would take levipeto's advice and let the AxeFX do the work. I've done it before and it works fine. Besides, you're a guitar player and you'll be more comfortable on your own 6 string. It would be different if you were doing home recordings and needed a bass track.
…..just like he said, PITCH block -12, bass AMP block (play with the EQ), grab a 15" CAB and if necessary a GEQ block. There you have it!!…A bass guitar. (and you saved $150)
check #2372 on AxeChange

Last edited:
If you use the pitch block and lower it an octave, it'll be ok for a quick idea, just won't sound great.
Also there will be a bit of latency.

"I just need something that'll work for presenting ideas to our bass player. "

pitch block [octave down] -> amp block[any bass amp] -> cab block[cab block]

I mean, if you are ok with the guitar dropped an octave as a bass why do you care too much about the settings? Just set it where it sounds good to you.

This.

I'm in the same boat dude. I know I'll get one soon enough. I actually use my fishman triple play to trigger the midi bass in logic. I mean the TP tracks bends and slides so its not the worst but yea I need a Bass soon :)

I've tried the pitch block ideas noted here--but never liked them that much (latency and flubbyness). I had better luck by using the ringmodulator down an octave (set so that it tracks pitches, of course), blending in a little of the original signal for attack, and tonematching the result to a recording of a real bass (In my case I tonematched to a bass from Spectrasonics Trilogy)...A little extra eqing and compression results in(especially if played with fingers) a decent bass sound...certainly good enough for pitching ideas....

Usually keeping an eye on local advertising or craigslist etc turns up a cheapo bass pretty quickly - some old chinese piece of crap that doubles in value when you put strings on it is still going to be enough to put down guide tracks.

I picked up a used Fender Bass for recording and such + I enjoy playing it esp with the new Bass amps in axefx and UR bass cabs.

Set the pitch block tracking mode to mono instead of poly (it works better for large pitch shifts and single notes). Also throw a compressor in there.

As in a recording? Use a keyboard... Takes a little bit of frustration sometimes when trying to get a line down but...it works.
Record it the put it through the axe bass amps .. More than enough.

I've even recorded bass using my guitar.. Roll off the treble bass amp EQ bla.. Does the job without having to do the keyboard thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

buy a cheap bass. You'd be amazed what you can find used these days for $100US. (edit...not sure what it's like in your country.) Seriously. Just get a bass.

The only problem is that bass strings are ridiculously thick. You have to be an Orc to play theese things ;)

I mirror the "buy a bass" crowd. I bought a cheap Yamaha ($180 new at GC) and truthfully, IT ROCKS. I play it on my own tracks and just mess around with it. It has expanded my repertoire on guitar and got me thinking and playing differently. DO EEET!!!! :encouragement:

Back
Top Bottom