So what interfaces are you guys using?

Can't help you much on that then; I'm too poor for Mac stuff. :razz

If it's got firewire I would think that it'd be fine since it is Apple's interface, but you never know.

Motu 828mk3. Soundwise ok but with a couple of latest driver versions I haven't been able to update Axe's firmware. I need to install older drivers in order to update. If I ever have the money, I'll upgrade to RME.

Edirol UA-25, usb.

It works fine. Only gripe I have is that the inputs clip rather easily, even with the input gain all the way down and the output of the AxeFX on about 25%

I agree that there are a lot of viable interfaces. If you have a firewire port then go for one that uses that, otherwise USB 2.0 or PCI card. The faster the interface the better.

I just got a TASCAM US-1641 USB 2.0 with way too many inputs to know what to do with. The initial MIDI performance was exceptional and did not hand AxeEdit at all. I needed a rack unit to reduce the clutter.

Motu 828mk3. Soundwise ok but with a couple of latest driver versions I haven't been able to update Axe's firmware. I need to install older drivers in order to update. If I ever have the money, I'll upgrade to RME.
No more Midi problems during 10.05 firmware update (or I just got lucky). I updated to the latest Motu 828mk3 drivers and also updated Axe-Edit and swapped the places of my midi cables (while using the loop back test feature of new Axe-Edit). So I can't be sure which of the three changes, or the new firmware version, did the trick.

Anyone here using the TC electronic Impact twin interface?

Ordered my new Ultra yesterday and it arrives on Monday the 28th and I'm hoping
the TC interface I bought in anticipation of having the Ultra will work well with it.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, thank you

I used an Impact Twin for about a month while my Fireface 400 was in for repair. I didn't have any problems with it. I was using it with a Mac.

I used an Impact Twin for about a month while my Fireface 400 was in for repair. I didn't have any problems with it. I was using it with a Mac.

Thank you for the feedback, its good to know no compatibilty issues with the Impact Twin.

I'll be using it with firewire on a pc at first, but switching over to Mac shortly thereafter.
Just waiting to see what the new Mac notebooks do to the pricing when they arrive on the market soon.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the Saffire Pro 24, and it should be arriving Monday!

Thanks for all of your suggestions fellas!

The two M-Audio ones - Profire610 and 2626 work without problems. Nothing exceptional but solid enough.

If you have a bigger budget, of course, then there will be other choices.

I'm glad to read the 610 is a decent enough interface... I bought this unit when it first came out, paid top dollar for it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... My only beef with it was - for the purposes I was using it for at the time - I couldn't intermingle Phantom and Non-Phantom powered mics through it effectively - they had to be either or. Regardless, I'll keep this unit alive and well for my upcoming, soon-to-arrive Ultra. Which is currently stuck in customs about 4 hours from where I live (sigh...).

V.

A have a few: M-Audio Profire 610, Echo Audio Gina 3G, Tascam US-122 (the original one), The inputs on my Yamaha Motif XS (firewire to computer).

Depends which computer I'm using but I like the Profire the best (Clean, simple, inexpensive).

Always go with a TI chipset Firewire interface to avoid problems. Others MAY work but TI will ALWAYS work.

Rodney

A have a few: M-Audio Profire 610, Echo Audio Gina 3G, Tascam US-122 (the original one), The inputs on my Yamaha Motif XS (firewire to computer).

Depends which computer I'm using but I like the Profire the best (Clean, simple, inexpensive).

Always go with a TI chipset Firewire interface to avoid problems. Others MAY work but TI will ALWAYS work.

Rodney

Honestly, I got so fed up with the constant tweaking of mic placement and the active versus passive nature of the unit, I ended up buying a Zoom H4n to just hit REC and get the job done... Capturing clips, ideas, and the like - for pro recording, I'll go with mics - but alas - there's a BIG reason I ordered the Ultra 8)

V.

I ended up picking up a TC electronic impact twin and it works great with the Ultra.
Very pleased with its quality.

Using an RME FF800 in the studio and a FF400 for location stuff. Great quality and it just works every time! There are less expensive units but I have never had a problem with these.

Regarding the phantom power issue. It is my understanding that running phantom power on a dynamic mic will do no damage to the mic or pre or cause no problems sound wise. I have however heard that phantom power will harm ribbon mics. In fact i have recorded with my sm7b all day with the phantom power on my profire2626 all day (on accident) and nothing was affected.

Back
Top Bottom