So what interfaces are you guys using?

A have a few: M-Audio Profire 610, Echo Audio Gina 3G, Tascam US-122 (the original one), The inputs on my Yamaha Motif XS (firewire to computer).

Depends which computer I'm using but I like the Profire the best (Clean, simple, inexpensive).

Always go with a TI chipset Firewire interface to avoid problems. Others MAY work but TI will ALWAYS work.

Rodney

So the Ultra's in house, been here for, oh, 2 months, and I'm LOVING it. I have my M-Audio Profire 610 ready to go as far as a USB/MIDI interface. I've got a new Macbook Pro (smaller one, but good enough, the 2.66 with 13.3 screen) and I am wondering, should I be scouring the wiki to figure out just what this interface is 'meant' to do? I mean, let me back up...

I bought the macbook pro to simply create, modify, and run Axe-Edit and all the other peripheral adjuncts. I'll also be migrating my DAW software over to it so I can take it on the go - this includes Logic Express and of course, resident Garageband. It has 350GB of storage, 4GB of ram, more than ample I believe - and please correct me if I am wrong here. But ANYWAY, the way I see it is - MIDI from Ultra > ProFire > FW800 cable > Mac. Now, is this connection a 2 way street? As in, can I store and send presets to and from the Mac and the Ultra, and lastly, can I run presets directly from my Macbook through my Ultra if so desired??

And as far as DI recording, I'm assuming GTR > Ultra > Output to Profire > Profire to Mac, is this correct? Or is there a way of going DIRECT IN to the Mac and utilizing the headphones to sample the input stream and patches and the like. My guess no - there must be an interface that goes not only from MIDI to USB/FW, but also 1/4" jack output to MIDI/FW input, yes??

THANK YOU for all your assistance...
Namaste,
V.:)

Apogee Duet for home and away. I also have a MOTU 828 MKII if I need more than 2 inputs. Apogee makes great sounding units!

I'm using an M-audio fast track pro... it works but it's picky as hell about what you've got loaded/running on your pc. Even with my system stripped down I still get pops/stutters in sound.

Are all these interfaces picky like that?

That's the interface I'm using and I've never had any problems with it. Using Win 7 64-bit and Reaper 32-bit.

M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R user here. Extremely satisfied with its sound and performance. The Fast Track Ultra uses the same rock stable drivers as the 8R but with four mic pre's versus the 8R's eight and in a portable form factor instead of the 1U form factor used for the 8R. I've used both of these interfaces and I've never experienced so much as a single hiccup in a dedicated DAW application. Both are very reasonably priced for what they offer IMO.

I'm still running my DAW under Win98 SP3, no network access at all. It's been in a fixed state since the last update for Sonar Pro 8 (why rock a stable boat). I also use these interfaces under Win7 on my desktop PC and my netbook with no issues.

NOTE: I'm not affiliated with M-Audio in any way - just a very satisfied customer.

Last edited:
That's the interface I'm using and I've never had any problems with it. Using Win 7 64-bit and Reaper 32-bit.

I have a Fast Track Pro as well - also rock stable for me. This is the audio interface I pack with my netbook because of its size. This interface is very affordable and offers excellent performance for the money. A real bargain IMO!

I use my Focusrite USB 6 and works great and also use Digidesign 003 control surface but havent really go into it using this. Both work tho, I do use the Focusrite for midi and works a treat!

Back
Top Bottom