So... what are the main important differences between FX II and AX8?

Not important to me. I always set Impedance at 1 Megaohm on the Axe-Fx. And when I want room reverb, I select the (surprise) Room type in the Reverb block.

The three things I've noticed as differences that may or may not be of concern to me are the room effect in the cab block, the mic pre in the cab block, and the variable impedance input.

Can anyone weigh in on the usefulness of the mic pre and the variable input impedance in the Axe II?

I never used the mic pre when I had the Axe2 and I never messed with the impedence. I think I used the room parameter in every preset I had though (I play at home). And I'd often throw a spring reverb in in with the reverb block. I'd would certainly be nice to have on the AX8 but I'll be able to live without it.
-
Austin

The three things I've noticed as differences that may or may not be of concern to me are the room effect in the cab block, the mic pre in the cab block, and the variable impedance input.

Can anyone weigh in on the usefulness of the mic pre and the variable input impedance in the Axe II?
I never used any of these features. It was say on the deep end of the "pool" and I dug the results I was (am) getting. Some of the fellas with magic ears prob use the mic pre thing alot. Those boys might keep there ii and or not buy the Ax8 thing is they don't need the Ax though we all want one. For guys who are new to FAS and this is their first unit, you cannot miss what you never had ya know

That's a hard call.

If you have never used these features for yourself, it's hard to decide whether or not they are a concern with the AX8.

I've used all three but still think the AX8 is a kick ass product, as one example.

If you use three scenes but do NOT use auto-engage, wah/whammy is easy. Being able to assign scenes directly to the footswitches wherever you want them is a godsend.

OK, total noob here and just got my AX8 + EV-1. I set up 3 scenes:

S1 = Wah On, Whammy Off
S2 = Whammy On, Wah Off
S3 = Both Off

My only minor "niggle" with this setup is when I switch to S1, the Wah is already "On" and it changes my tone (i.e. cocked wah sound) before I even get my foot on the pedal. As opposed to the "auto-engage" method where it doesn't change until I move the pedal.

The Whammy sounds fine (followed the Cooper Carter video on YouTube) as it doesn't color the tone and only kicks in when I step on the pedal.

Is there a way to make the Wah behave the same way as the Whammy - i.e. not kick in until I step on the pedal - without using Auto-Engage? Do I just set the slope,etc. parameters the same as the Whammy?

Thanks!

I have marked the important words in that. Core and modeling.
That's the same car-chassis. You don't get the Super turbo charger as in the luxury model.

now two people with this gigantic sig? can they make a smaller version of that? when the post is one line, and the sig is 40-50 that seems goofy.

As in the Wiki: The AX8 doesn't provide the Mixer block

That means that the Wah/Whammy trick, "switched" by the mixer doesn't work? Is there some workaround?
Well if they put a mix parameter in the Wah Block like virtually every other effect then you could simply use a scene controller to invert the different mixes on both the pitch block and wah block.That would give you the ability to alternate which one passes signal to the output. I suggested this ages ago but they of course don't listen. It makes no sense that it's not there.

I just purchased a tc electronics looper to use in the effects loop of my AX8. I was disappointed to learn it didn't just "go". Apparently, one has to add send and return blocks to a preset for it to work. Having said that, sure would be nice if I could make the looper's presence available to all presets through a global setting vs modifying each preset.

Good thought. That would definitely work.

I'm currently going XLR out, in stereo, to my mixing board. I found going to XLR, as fast as I could live, really cleaned up the signal. Just habit I guess.

Back
Top Bottom