So... what are the main important differences between FX II and AX8?

No Tremolo as part of the amp block. That was the only tremolo I ever used on the rack units. Guess the processor on the AX8 doesn't have enough juice to support it (would have been a neat way to save cpu on the FX processor if it did). On the positive side, using the tremolo block will allow for easier switching.
-
Austin

It looks like CAB AIR is present (bottom of page 52 in the manual). However, it doesn't have the preamp section or the ROOM parameter :(
Seems to be much more of a strict IR loader when compared to the rack units.
-
Austin

My bad, corrected.

A negative side of sharing details is that the focus might shift to stuff which isn't included. ;-)

I hate to say "trust me", but in this case do trust me: the AX8 will not disappoint.
It'll help you make beautiful music. Especially with the assist of AX8-Edit.

No doubt here!

However, I think it is fair to discuss and list the differences - it will help people to make the right choice. I know that I do not need all the features that FX II offers, so I am going for the AX8.

A negative side of sharing details is that the focus might shift to stuff which isn't included. ;-)

I hate to say "trust me", but in this case do trust me: the AX8 will not disappoint.

Awwww... it wouldn't be right if the rain clouds didn't show immediately after good news :)

Now that things are starting to ramp up I'm looking at it more closely, honestly I'm waiting for people to get it in their hands and review and compare before I commit to anything. The fact that I'm not gigging means I don't really need the AX8 other than to shed the size and weight of a 4 space rack case.

Coming from a regular pedal board, I would just set up my amp and all the pedals without touching any knobs during a 30-song gig, having global blocks would be just like that, I think I would like that idea. I'll learn to live without though
Actually, wouldn't the AX8 equivalent be setting up one preset and tapping all the effects on/off with the 8 buttons? Not that you'd want to do that, but ...

As in the Wiki: The AX8 doesn't provide the Mixer block

That means that the Wah/Whammy trick, "switched" by the mixer doesn't work? Is there some workaround?
Right after the block list it reads: "In addition to the blocks listed above, each preset also includes an Input Noise Gate, an Output Mixer, and a set of Controllers for parameter automation."

I'm not sure if that's the same thing as what you're talking about.

Right after the block list it reads: "In addition to the blocks listed above, each preset also includes an Input Noise Gate, an Output Mixer, and a set of Controllers for parameter automation."

I'm not sure if that's the same thing as what you're talking about.

Nope. I'm talking about a mixer block to which you connect 2 effectblocks and by activating just 1 of the mix channels you select which effect comes through.
That way you can control a whammy and wah with one and the same pedal and with the mixer you select what you will hear. Whammy or wah

This actually makes sense given that it's meant specifically for live use. Bummer, but more understandable methods of saving CPU.

I like the preamp feature, but am using it less now. Missing dephase is also a bit of a bummer, but again, understandable.

It looks like CAB AIR is present (bottom of page 52 in the manual). However, it doesn't have the preamp section or the ROOM parameter :(
Seems to be much more of a strict IR loader when compared to the rack units.
-
Austin

Nope. I'm talking about a mixer block to which you connect 2 effectblocks and by activating just 1 of the mix channels you select which effect comes through.
That way you can control a whammy and wah with one and the same pedal and with the mixer you select what you will hear. Whammy or wah

I'm pretty confident we can come up with an alternative solution.
Maybe two VOL blocks in parallel with different Input Select settings. I don't know, have to try this.

If you use three scenes but do NOT use auto-engage, wah/whammy is easy. Being able to assign scenes directly to the footswitches wherever you want them is a godsend.

This is such a great feature. It let's me think of groups of blocks like a single "pedal". Love this.

Actually, wouldn't the AX8 equivalent be setting up one preset and tapping all the effects on/off with the 8 buttons? Not that you'd want to do that, but ...
Yes that would be the equivalent, but I am OK with the Ax8 being a little bit smarter :p

I'm pretty confident we can come up with an alternative solution.
Maybe two VOL blocks in parallel with different Input Select settings. I don't know, have to try this.

Instead of a mixer block that mutes paths in the grid, what about a block that can be panned left or right? Just thinking out loud. I use a single pedal for volume and auto-engage wah, so I too am looking for a workaround for the lack of a mixer block.

This actually makes sense given that it's meant specifically for live use. Bummer, but more understandable methods of saving CPU.

I like the preamp feature, but am using it less now. Missing dephase is also a bit of a bummer, but again, understandable.

I never used the preamp or dephase, but I did use the room feature on every preset I made. Don't know that I'll actually miss it though. I've been getting along perfectly fine on my Amplifire without it and the AX8 has better/more reverbs, so... :D
-
Austin

Back
Top Bottom