So Long.......

Good luck Tom. Hope it isn't too long until you can again acquire another AxeII. I can't even imagine having to sell mine.

Best,

Lee

Ok with the floyd ,put a block in the front of it so it only dives down ,save alot on tuning if you not whammy type of guy.
Everything has to aline ,weight,neck size and feel,I set my own guitars up,dress my frets to a bit over 2/64 at the 12th fret,intonation very important

I tried blocking my trem, but I do a lot of whammy vibrato stuff where I had to put it back to normal the next day.

That is exactly what I did and no matter how I set it I could feel it. It's hard to explain how it felt, but I didn't like it.

FWIW the Tremel-no is very finicky and if you don't set it up just right you will feel it bind and it will not return to zero. I would also urge you to keep the Axe and ether have your guitar teck'd or sell the guitar you have add some saved cash and get something you like. I had a PRS for years and went to a Carvin CT series, dropped in PRS electronics and it plays and sounds like a PRS for a little over $700. There is also the SE line of PRS for around the same money if you don't care where the guitar was built.

Last edited:
I'd say don't sell your Axe just to be able to afford a better guitar. You'll lose at least 400-500 dollars in the process and you could invest this cash into a great "from the line" guitar.

There are several companies that sell great mass-produced guitars. If you look for good deals, just avoid being a trademark-whore. No need to get a cheap gibson if Ibanez or Epiphone offer MUCH HIGHER quality for the same price (there have been a lot of issues with the quality control of the low-priced gibsons - a 600 dollars Epiphone, for example, has much better quality components than a 600 dollar Gibson Studio).
If you want a name brand, buy used! You'd be amazed at the deals you can get when looking for used instruments. If you buy used, buy local and play it before, though.

I'm actually amazed at how good mass-produced guitars can sound after a little tweaking. I still got the guitar I started with hanging on the wall. A Yamaha Pacifica strat for 240$. The build-quality is actually quite good for such a low price. Of course the setup and intonation wasn't perfect, but after adjusting the saddles and the action, it was really playable and doesn't even sound like a cheap guitar.

I've owned plenty gears through the years, highend amps and guitars.
The AxeFX2 would be the last thing I sale

That's the great thing I've found about the AXE FX II. The guitars, cables all matter.. just like a real amp. Some modelers, it doesn't matter a lot which guitar you plug in they all sound the same.

Make sure whatever guitar you buy has good tone on it's own. Good luck!

WOW!! I read the post then looked at the name. Tom I'm floored by this! Thanks for all your help!! Come back soon

FWIW, I have a guitar that I paid $2k for. It's worth twice as much. It's a great guitar in dead mint condition, and I never play it. I'll probably sell it when the economy improves (fingers crossed).

My best and most played guitars cost $350 and $600. They're beat up from hundreds of club gigs, but I guess that's the point.

I have guitars that cost from $3,000 down and the best were in the $300 - $600 range but I tweek them myself :)

I must admit I am surprised as I've seen your positive impressions of this product time after time. But, if a better guitar is your priority it makes sense.

What are you going to be using instead of an Axe FX II? Will you be using an amp, Eleven Rack, Pod?

My Guitar GAS has overcome me so unfortunately I am getting rid of My axe 2. Don't get me wrong the Axe FX II is amazing, but I feel silly playing a subpar guitar on a machine that cost over 2k. You guys here have been so helpful, I appreciate all you guys. I will still post though , because I will get a II down the line again.

Don't do it.... the amount you lose in selling you could have spent on said guitar... Anyhow ,if you like said guitar WTF?

If your embarrassment is soooo bad, then leave the MFC at home and work off the front panel, and stick black tape over the Fractal logos.

But hardly anyone outside the cognoscenti will know what you're playing. If they give you grief, it's only because they're jealous.

This is one of the strangest things I've read. Guitars are merely tools admittedly some are built better than others. I own 3 guitars all in the same price bracket (around 700 quid). All 3 guitars sound great through the axe fx, one of them is the mim fender 70's strat. Also had a gibson les paul custom through the axe fx and there was no massive difference.

Back
Top Bottom