So I think I made a serious mistake ;mesa 20/20

Llewzaher

Inspired
I just recently bought 2 2X12 mesa roadster cabs with V30's . And I have my axe Fx going into a mesa 20/20 stereo tube pwoer amp . It sounded very good , but when playing with a group , it sounds a tad bit harsh . Well I did a bit of research and kept hearing about everyone with the mesa 20/20 does a "mod" to make it sound a little warmer . So I finally decided to do this mod which consisted of removing a couple of capacitors off of the circuit board . Well I removed ,them and the sound for metal is definately a warmer type of sound , but it has taken away all the clearness and "chimeyness" of my cleans . I don't mind playing distortion sounds , I love it in fact . But I play mostly in church and want the warmer crunch sounds and the chimey clean sounds .

So I guess my question is what would be a good Pwr amp that people would recommend ? I don't need high wattage . Unless higher wattage is preferred for better sound .

I was stuck on the choice of the atomic amps or getting the V30's , and decided to go that way . I already had the mesa 20/20 and had used with a Rocktron prophesy ,and wasn't pleased with the sound . I had almost anitcipated that I would be getting a new pwr amp , and with this mod I did , it looks like I will be

Llewzaher said:
I just recently bought 2 2X12 mesa roadster cabs with V30's . And I have my axe Fx going into a mesa 20/20 stereo tube pwoer amp . It sounded very good , but when playing with a group , it sounds a tad bit harsh . Well I did a bit of research and kept hearing about everyone with the mesa 20/20 does a "mod" to make it sound a little warmer . So I finally decided to do this mod which consisted of removing a couple of capacitors off of the circuit board . Well I removed ,them and the sound for metal is definately a warmer type of sound , but it has taken away all the clearness and "chimeyness" of my cleans . I don't mind playing distortion sounds , I love it in fact . But I play mostly in church and want the warmer crunch sounds and the chimey clean sounds .

So I guess my question is what would be a good Pwr amp that people would recommend ? I don't need high wattage . Unless higher wattage is preferred for better sound .

I was stuck on the choice of the atomic amps or getting the V30's , and decided to go that way . I already had the mesa 20/20 and had used with a Rocktron prophesy ,and wasn't pleased with the sound . I had almost anitcipated that I would be getting a new pwr amp , and with this mod I did , it looks like I will be

I play in the same setting and the amp and cab thing is good up to a point. Once you want to start getting that sound that everone is using today you will need the versatility of FR. The Reactor gives you this very thing. I love the sound of a driven Vintage 30 all day long but when you need to hear an AC 30 with blues your not going to get with the 20/20 and Vin 30's. Reactor FTW.

I owned a 20/20 long ago. I tried to use it with a Triaxis. I really didn't like this setup. Too midrange and harsh. I replaced the amp with a VHT 2502 and suddenly my rig sounded MUCH better. I suggest trying another amp. Even an ART SLA1 or SLA2 would be an improvement IMO.

the Mesa 20/20 is a EL84 based power amp.El 84's can start to sound harsh or midrangey when pushed.they prob. sound great at lower volume settings,but once cranked,maybe not so much.

Thanks alot for the replies guys ... Definately some food for thought . I will have to weigh out my options . I really was considering the Reactor , but considered shipping costs ( I live in Canada ) , and no chance to hear them ,the mixed reviews etc.. Plus I already had the 20/20 and was pretty sure I could resell the V30's if I decided it wasn't the set up for me .

Now I have to re think this all through

PITA isn't it... :evil: I have leaned to the FR side and so far I'm liking what I'm hearing. I haven't let go of all my cabs yet, though the 412's are still on the chopping block and once gone will aid in financing another Reactor. My home brew 112's are not going anywhere as I like those a lot. In time I will pick up another SS power amp and load it in the rack.

I had a 20/20 too and did the mod with a switch. Disconnect just one side of the components, solder wires on the end of both components and on the pcb where they used to go and run those wires to a dpdt toggle. I Just hot-glue gunned the switch to the bottom on the inside, since there isn't much room on the back panel for switches. One needs to open up the amp to switch it, but I meant to compare and set and then forget. It would be possible to connect a couple of relays and run a footswitch into it.

But I really haven't experimented much with the tone. Since I wasn't in a band and didn't foresee one soon I sold it. Needed the money. And with the sound of the Axe through FRFR, I could very well live with it.

Well I know a guy who can solder the resistors back on . And I will see how it sounds when he is done . I also have a sonic maximiser I can use to warm it up if need be . I am sure with tweaking I might be able to make do .

If not then atomics for me

Back
Top Bottom