So I Made A Dumb Mistake ... How About You?

This is why its suggested to do a reset when upgrading firmware. :lol
Funeral,
OK so you go to utilities menu to reset the system .
But first, before your FW update , you need to back up right?
So do you guys Backup Banks A, B and C and then restore them individually after your system reset, or do you hit " Backup system" then reset, then " Restore System" ?

Wouldn't L+R=Left only if there was nothing "on the right" (that whole L+0=L, zero is the additive identity thing)? Does L+R actually mean (L+R)/2 (average) so as not to boost the signal to what would essentially be a double-hot input level? Based on the original post, apparently so :).
When you choose L+R SUM as the input mode, the Axe applies a 6 dB cut to the signal. I think the idea is to keep the same level when you're summing two inputs as you'd get with just one input.

FOr my puropses, that's an inconvenience. I use the front input for my guitar cable and the rear right input for my wireless. That lets me switch guitars without changing cables or patches. But it also means I have to bump my signal by 6 dB, because I don't run both left and right at the same time.

if my input is left only should my output 1 (which is an xlr out to a single atomic powered wedge) be copy L->R or Stereo?
Your output should probably be either Stereo or L+R Sum. Just because your input is mono, that doesn't automatically mean your output is mono, too. If you have any stereo effects, you're throwing out half of the audio when you copy L>R.

I went for a long time running FRFR straight from the Axe to a powered cab with Global power amp=off! Couldn't figure out why every patch I would download and try was super hot and clipping, would just adjust the master etc till it worked but chalked it up mostly to different setups. Stumbled across that setting and checked and double checked what it was for and could not believe it was off. Makes a huge difference..

Dave

When you choose L+R SUM as the input mode, the Axe applies a 6 dB cut to the signal. I think the idea is to keep the same level when you're summing two inputs as you'd get with just one input.

FOr my puropses, that's an inconvenience. I use the front input for my guitar cable and the rear right input for my wireless. That lets me switch guitars without changing cables or patches. But it also means I have to bump my signal by 6 dB, because I don't run both left and right at the same time.

Ah! I get it! Like I had to do to the end of my chain when I was running a delay block in parallel with my dry signal before I realized that I should just set the delay block to 100% wet. ;)... so I guess that's yet another answer to the "silly things I've done" question.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that had the issue haha. To those that have since switch it to left only, have you noticed a difference in tonal quality?

You sir, are golden. That explains so much!

...can't believe this happened to me yet again. This time I'm sure I didn't touch it, it must've been the firmware change :roll

Dude, you're a lifesaver.

Just checked and had my wife switching Left, L+R Sum and Stereo, back and forth without me watching and my unit must be defective since I can't hear a bit of difference :shock

I have never made a mistake. I live by the saying "I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong".

Just checked and had my wife switching Left, L+R Sum and Stereo, back and forth without me watching and my unit must be defective since I can't hear a bit of difference :shock
Are you playing high-gain tones? If you're running with 70 dB of gain, you might not hear much difference when you're running with "only" 64 dB of gain. It's much more noticeable on low-gain and clean tones.

Same here, I'm not hearing any difference either....

I can't hear a difference either, even when using a steady sine wave as the input signal. Moreover, the internal meters show no change that I can detect. So for those of us who can't hear it, what's wrong with our rigs? Or (more likely) is there some other setting somewhere else that somehow overrides this 6db pad?

Last edited:
I usually connect something to Out 2 and diligently check the I/O page making sure Output 2 is setup the way I need it only to get no sound from output 2. After double checking cables and I/O settings I always find the Vol 2 knob is at 0.
Seriously, I can't remember how many damn times I cursed all of my gear and cables and stuff and in the end noticed I turned down the volume when I unplugged the guitar 10 minutes ago.

My band made a drinking game out of this. :/

Haha! I just checked and I had done it too. Probably been like that for a while and yes there is a difference. I thought I had low output last time at rehearsal. HahaHa!
Regards Jesper

Just out of curiosity I had a quick check with meters. No difference here. Exactly the same signal out with Left only and LR Sum. Patch was all shunts.

Edit: Ok, well, there's my stupid thing of the day. I was checking it mono. Pro.

Actual results across OUTPUTS:

On a stereo track, with L only input selected, the signal was the same across both L&R output -18db. In L/R sum, the Left output lost 6db to be -24db but the right output maintained the -18db level.

Last edited:
Are you playing high-gain tones?
Just tried it with a clean amp and yes, there's a difference. Strange though because I don't us a lot of high gain, maximum settings at about 4.

Back
Top Bottom