So Cool...

I wonder if it's doable to implement with the G2 tech a real effects loop between the preamp and the poweramp?

As always, never a dull moment around here. Thank you FAS for all your hard and brilliant work.

I think by "text" he means the schematic for the amp is created in a text file and parsed by his code to create the model. So he just changed the text file to include a new component at the appropriate point in the signal chain and re-created the model.

The great thing about the new modeling is the modular approach. It's very similar to creating an amp in a schematic editor except it's done with text. Anywho...

I was reviewing some old Vox schematics and I was reminded as to the "bias trem" approach to tremolo on those old amps. So I hooked an LFO to the power tube bias and voila': instant bias trem. Sounds so cooooool. Of course I had to play a few bars of "Riders on the Storm".

I'm going to include this in the next firmware since it sounds so nice.

Does it mean that now is it much easier to create new models? :)
Cliff you spoil us! hehe

So It works like a netlist. (Spice)
We should be able to get ton of amps now with each firmware. ;o)
(carriage return works now with firefox...yeahh)

Last edited:
I wonder if it's doable to implement with the G2 tech a real effects loop between the preamp and the poweramp?

I actually don't see this being of much use other than for, say, a wah or a filter based effect. The reason fx loops were made was so that guitarists could add some fx to their noise boxes, as uncolored as possible, meaning bypassing the preamp and going thru the power section for amplification. This allowed guitarists to add things like reverb when live, which would have only been available in a studio. The axe allows the flexibility of putting fx where they sound best - usually before or after the amp. Having experimented with a LOT of amps and quite a bit of fx as well, I can tell you're much better off putting your fx AFTER or BEFORE the amp. The exception is a wah in my experience, as it sounds different than in the front of the amp, for obvious reasons. There's no other effect I can think of that would really benefit from going thru an fx loop in the axe.....

+1 for the princeton! That amp makes me tingly all over! ;)

Reactions: gin
This gives me just a sick idea that we'll be able to 'script' by ourselves the amps in next generation Axe, when the power of DSP it uses goes up by the order of magnitude (should be expected if Moore's law is any good). Just imagine creating your own amp in Axe, describing circuit topology, selecting preamp tube type with custom tube 'hardness', playing with tone stack components, save blocks for re-usage and share all that with others...

Have to go now to wipe saliva from my face... :p

Last edited:
Reactions: jon
I was reviewing some old Vox schematics and I was reminded as to the "bias trem" approach to tremolo on those old amps. So I hooked an LFO to the power tube bias and voila': instant bias trem. Sounds so cooooool. Of course I had to play a few bars of "Riders on the Storm".
<keanu>Whoa!</keanu>

Coding is so much more fun when it is crafted well :D
So true.

I actually don't see this being of much use other than for, say, a wah or a filter based effect.
MBA makes a fair number of requests and I don't see the utility in many of them. :geek No harm in asking, I suppose.

This gives me just a sick idea that we'll be able to 'script' by ourselves the amps in next generation Axe, when the power of DSP it uses goes up by the order of magnitude (should be expected if Moore's law is any good). Just imagine creating your own amp in Axe, describing circuit topology, selecting preamp tube type with custom tube 'hardness', playing with tone stack components, save blocks for re-usage and share all that with others...

This is actually an idea I'm toying with. The idea is to have a graphical interface that generates the text file. As with cabinets, there would be a number of user slots. You can create your own amp models and load them via the editor.

This is actually an idea I'm toying with. The idea is to have a graphical interface that generates the text file. As with cabinets, there would be a number of user slots. You can create your own amp models and load them via the editor.

OMG!!!!

hdurdevic said:

I'm not sure about writing a script to do this as I have written advanced scripting engines (MaxScript for 3D Studio Max) and there is a significant amount of work there. I have dreamed of a GUI like an 'Amp Geek' interface that was either a top down view of an amp, or a schematic view of an amp (like a Visio), where you could insert your own components from a toolbar library of parts... This would eventually have a pedal counterpart and basically bring the DIY concept into digital realm using the Fractal Core Engine. That's a toolkit I'm sure many of us would love to see! Maybe just a dream... I would provide a 3D GUI if there was interest however... :)

Woohoo! A real-time SPICE simulator with an audio input! And, of course, all the components sprinkled with magic dust needed to build a guitar amplifier (think of those wonderful voltage-variable carbon comp resistors, just without the noise, not to mention anything else).

FractalAudio said:

Oh you have got to be kidding me... The dream could really come true!!!

I'm not sure about writing a script to do this as I have written advanced scripting engines (MaxScript for 3D Studio Max) and there is a significant amount of work there. I have dreamed of a GUI like an 'Amp Geek' interface that was either a top down view of an amp, or a schematic view of an amp (like a Visio), where you could insert your own components from a toolbar library of parts... This would eventually have a pedal counterpart and basically bring the DIY concept into digital realm using the Fractal Core Engine. That's a toolkit I'm sure many of us would love to see! Maybe just a dream... I would provide a 3D GUI if there was interest however... :)
That is why I've put the word script in quotes, meaning "a user would be able to customize it somehow". I know that text scripting is not everyone's cup of tea and it certainly would be more natural for the users to do it the way Cliff and you have proposed.

Wow that's big. Like Revalver but more powerful. It seems that it is already working. Perhaps available for the Axe II?

Last edited:
The idea is to have a graphical interface that generates the text file. As with cabinets, there would be a number of user slots. You can create your own amp models and load them via the editor.
In this case, I'll have to buy a II. It's what I asked for a digital model: ability to create an amp that react the way I want.

I actually don't see this being of much use other than for, say, a wah or a filter based effect. The reason fx loops were made was so that guitarists could add some fx to their noise boxes, as uncolored as possible, meaning bypassing the preamp and going thru the power section for amplification. This allowed guitarists to add things like reverb when live, which would have only been available in a studio. The axe allows the flexibility of putting fx where they sound best - usually before or after the amp. Having experimented with a LOT of amps and quite a bit of fx as well, I can tell you're much better off putting your fx AFTER or BEFORE the amp. The exception is a wah in my experience, as it sounds different than in the front of the amp, for obvious reasons. There's no other effect I can think of that would really benefit from going thru an fx loop in the axe.....
This topic had actually been already discussed. I had tried myself (w/o too much success) to show the advantages of a serial loop between pre and poweramp. Here´s the thread: A series Fx loop.
IMO the power of a dedicated EQ pre-pre, post-pre and post-poweramp is a lot underestimated :) It gives you a real control (from a sonic point of view) over the non-linearities (i.e. distortion)

Back
Top Bottom