Wish Smart Soft Reset (amp block) interface

Smittefar

Axe-Master
I know, I am not the first one to wish this, but I really don't understand, why it does not exist yet, given the large number of requests there have been for this. Read from here https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...0-firmware-release.126824/page-8#post-1509788, if you forgot how requested this is.

So @AlGrenadine, @Nero, and @Michael Pickens, you all figured out how to read and write parameter values to and from the unit. I will happily pay $10 (I will also pay $20, but I will be less happy) for a software tool that will do the following

1. Select a preset
  2. Pull the values and parameter names from both x- and y-states of (both) the amp block(s) in the preset
  3. for each amp block and x/y state, display a list of all the amp block parameters ordered by page and let me select the parameters to keep after the reset
    1. Preferably, I should be able to group select parameters based on page (so I can select the entire basic page, GEQ page, speaker page, etc. at once but also let me select individual parameters such as the preamp tube type for example
    2. It would be great, if I could make a default setting for which parameters to keep.
  4. Reset the amp block(s) (both x and y states)
  5. Re-apply the parameters the parameters, I selected to keep to the x/y states of the amp block

I did the soft reset thing on 60 sets of amp parameters (yes those are only the presets, I gig with regularly), and it is downright painful.

Absolutely, very easy in FracTool.
It can't be done by setting selected values again @Nero, because some parameters selection induce other parameters to change...
So it needs to send the whole block data, as a mix of old parameters and reset ones

Absolutely, very easy in FracTool.
It can't be done by setting selected values again @Nero, because some parameters selection induce other parameters to change...
So it needs to send the whole block data, as a mix of old parameters and reset ones

I treated it as loading a block from the block library but replacing the selected parameters with originally loaded data and excluding parameters that request other parameters when changed like preamp and power amp tube, it's working great so far but i'm only implementing it for the amp block since it seems to be the one that is often reset

Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 8.42.02 PM.png

I treated it as loading a block from the block library but replacing the selected parameters with originally loaded data and excluding parameters that request other parameters when changed like preamp and power amp tube, it's working great so far but i'm only implementing it for the amp block since it seems to be the one that is often reset

View attachment 39632
Good, so i don't have to do it :)

So how do I know which parameters to keep ? I'm using a bunch of presets downloaded from AxeChange, the forum or bought from commercial sites.

For Q7, it was specifically recommended. It is the only time, I have done it so far, and I sure hope never to have to do it like that again.

View attachment 39632
Looking very good. Let me know, if you need a beta tester

With the increasing complexity of sound creation through modelling it looks like history is repeating. In the 80s there were synth programmers listed on album credits, that's probably going to happen next for the guitar modelling world. I would love to see FAS taking care of making sure user investements into sounds will not go to waste through firmware updates. I understand that FAS is by no means obliged to deliver new features for free and users could choose to stay on older firmware versions but then the user would not be able to get any bug fixes either. I hope FAS will accept and address this requirement in the future. Either through maintenance branches that fix problems on older firmware versions but don't add new features or through a safe way to automatically migrate patches.

Agreed, if FAS made this kind of tool, they could also assess which firmware a preset was last saved as and alert the user on which parameters were changed away from default by the preset creator

Back
Top Bottom