small practice amp/multi fx processor - which one?

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
The search continues and would love some feedback. I actually picked up the line 6 Sonic port initially but it didn't work with my iPad (3rd gen). since then I've been contemplating following options:

Digitech RP360XP
Zoom G3XN
Vox VT20X
Boss GT-1
Line 6 podHD 300 (used)

As you can see most of these are around the same price range $100-300ish. I don't want to go over $300 as this is just a practice solution for the living room. I don't care about complex routing and a long list of effects. I want good core amp tones (for what you can get that's not fractal and in that price range ).
-aux in. I think most have this and would be preferable.

Thoughts? anything else you'd suggest lookin at? Thanks in advance...

Mooer has recently come out with something interesting in that pricerange. And can load IR's too. I wish I could remember its name.

Edit: It's the Mooer GE200.

Last edited:
I have an Orange Crush 35RT. It is a small combo amp with an FX send and return (excellent for plugging in an AX8 and a headphone jack). It has 1x10" speaker. Sweetwater has it for $259. It comes in orange (of course) and black. I think it also has a built in R2D2, or maybe it was a C3PO. It is a pretty simple amp so it is easy to get the Laya the land. For a practice amp it sounds pretty good even without using an AX8.

I still use my Rocktron Chameleon at home...very cheap on the used market. At work I have my old GK 250ml...puts a smile on my 80's loving face every time I plug into it.

I only looked at a few videos of the Zoom, and didn't like what I heard. Incoherent mush.

I'm also not a Line6 fan because our other guitarist has something similar, and it is also mush. I don't know exactly what model he has because all L6s look the same to me. But possibly he could just be dialing it in that way.

The Vox really got my interest from the videos I saw. And since it's a combo amp, it's all-in-one, so you don't need to hook it up to anything else if you don't want to. Just grab it and go.

I've a THR10 for our quiet 'arrangement rehearsals' (aka 'finding out who learned it in the wrong key'). For our sort of stuff I do need to bring a drive pedal for quick solo tones - but other than that it's a cool little thing (and won't spoil the look of your living room ..... well maybe if you haven't changed furniture since 1952)

I have personal experience with each unit you mentioned...

The only one I could recommend as actually a decent sound that could fool people it's not a $99 junk multi effect- is the Vox

I'm a HUGE boss fan- but by todays standards those multi effects don't compare

The Digitech isn't bad perse but it doesn't sound any better than a $25 RP50 when it comes to professional/usable decent sound

You can probably get an Eleven Rack in the 200-250 range easy

The Eleven Rack is a great inexpensive choice. Cheap and way better sounding than most folks will give it credit for.

I laso have a THR10 and personally I think it's the best low volume practice amp ever. The surround sound reverb is just delicious!

What about something like the newest Amplitube iRig? It's around $100. Comes with full versions of Amplitube iOS and Amplitube 4 for Mac/PC.

In your price range either a used Eleven Rack or Fender Mustang II v2. The AX8 replaced my Eleven Rack but I still use the Mustang for living room practice/noodling. Very surprising amp.

Fender Mustang II v2.

That Fender is a great suggestion

ALSO if he wants to go crazy- the $2000 Fender Cyber Twin or Cyber Twin SE you can pick up all day for $350 tops
Might be overkill

BUT the Mustang is probably as close to the quality in tone you can get in this range besides the Vox or 11r

awesome suggestions everyone. Thanks a lot...very helpful and is steering me in the right direction here I think. Yamaha THR, Mustang and Vox are now my top 3 considerations. I have tried the iRig and other phone apps but ultimately they leave me wanting more. If only Fractal had a little practice solution with even 3 amp models and 3-4 effects I'd be all over it

edit: just looked at my local guitar store and I see they're blowing out the line 6 Amplifi 75 watt for $235. Dare I even say....mmm bad idea. looks like a kids boombox.

I see a used 11R on classified though...perhaps this is the way to go

Last edited:
I also see a local used Vox Tonelab Se for about the same price as the 11R...thoughts?
I had the Tonelab LE so no direct experience with the SE. My only gripe was the amp models all sounded similar, just different gain levels. Not a bad thing if you prefer the core tone of it but if you're trying to cover a wide range of styles it can be limiting. Other than that, it was a great piece of gear with really good tone.

I also see a local used Vox Tonelab Se for about the same price as the 11R...thoughts?

SO- if the 11r and Tonelab SE are the same price- get the 11 rack

HOWEVER- a used tonelab se shouldn't be more than 150 and honestly- i wouldn't pay more than 100 for one and i know they're out there for 100

HOWEVER- if you're options are overpay for the a tonelab or 11r at the same price- still the 11r

ALSO if price is not a concern- if the 11r is $200-300 and the tonelab is $100- it'd buy both- OR still get the 11r

The effects are nothing to brag about but it's basically super high quality and great feel- but instead of 200 amps like the Fractal- like 20 pretty good sounding amps which covers everything you need- they're might be more out there by now too idk

Don't know why you'd get an Eleven Rack. You still need all the stuff you'd need to play through your Axe-FX and it's about the same size (11R is shallower in the rack however). I have an 11R and it just sits there underneath the Axe-FX in the rack. I never power it up. There's no point to it.

If you're going to get an 11R just find a way to make your Fractal more portable.

Back
Top Bottom