Small FRFR again?

Link, please?
Not sure which thing you are referring to, but if it's Boss, I misspoke, it's Bose, not boss-sorry! I m looking at those though-good for a single acoustic gig which I may start doing again if I get the nerve. That was how I started this journey before bands, etc.

Not sure which thing you are referring to, but if it's Boss, I misspoke, it's Bose, not boss-sorry! I m looking at those though-good for a single acoustic gig which I may start doing again if I get the nerve. That was how I started this journey before bands, etc.
You replied to a post about the EV PXM and said that they make an 8" version.

You replied to a post about the EV PXM and said that they make an 8" version.
Ah-definitely not what I wanted to say. I was looking at the Bose at the time-senior moment! Which, as stated I like the price and the weight. I already have the LOUD stuff covered!
EDIT: wish they did. I have always like EV stuff.

I have a pair of Bose S1 pro monitors I use. 15 lbs each and they’ll run on included rechargeable battery for over 8 hours and Bluetooth support making it easy to jam along to tracks streamed from phone/computer/etc. They are a bit pricey though. I got mine before COVID so something like 20% cheaper than current pricing.

The pair replaced my mk1 DXR10 which I loved but also weighed more than the two Bose together.

I'm still curious to hear a review comparing these to the FR-XXs. The FR-10 is half the price of the Elis.8 and I'm skeptical that the difference in price is reflected in actual performance/sound. I'm definitely open to the idea though.
I had the EV PXM-12MP, Redsound Elis.8 and Friedman ASC-10 at my place all at the same time. At that time I kept the Friedman because it felt the most like an amp in the room. Of the three, the EV would have been my second choice. I didn’t care for the Elis.8 at all.

I later had the Fender FR-12 and FR-10 at my place and compared them to the Friedman ASC-10. I preferred the Fenders over the Friedman, and the weight of the Fenders were both considerably lighter to boot. Kept the FR-12 and I’m very happy with it.

So not a direct comparison of the Fender to the Elis.8, but IMHO, the Fenders are in another league.

Last edited:
I had the EV PXM-12MP, Redsound Elis.8 and Friedman ASC-10 at my place all at the same time. At that time I kept the Friedman because it felt the most like an amp in the room. Of the three, the EV would have been my second choice. I didn’t care for the Elis.8 at all.

I later had the Fender FR-12 and FR-10 at my place and compared them to the Friedman ASC-10. I preferred the Fenders over the Friedman, and the weight of the Fenders were both considerably lighter to boot. Kept the FR-12 and I’m very happy with it.

So not a direct comparison of the Fender to the Elis.8, but IMHO, the Fenders are in another league.

What kinds of music do you play and what kinds of volumes? Thanks. .

The thing about the Bose S1 pro is that it doesn't have enough power to play with a drummer.
It sounds good at low to mid volumes but Bose doesn't publish specs. and they don't even tell there support people anything peritinent like what firmware it is on.
I have a friends S1 sitting on my table right now he spent an hour on the phone to Bose due to it not working properly (it is 3 years old) they told him to do a firmware update so he had me do it as he doesn't have a computer.
It took me almost an hour to do it because the updater wouldn't work.
When I finally got it to work it said it was up to date with firmware number 0.0

The Bose people have never given an update for the S1 and there support people should know that.

For a lounge or jazz they are fine but my friend likes the Samson Expedition I lent him while I have his S1 better because you can adjust the EQ on the backing track as well as the inst. channels...it is $230 Canadian at L&M
I have had mine for 10-12 years, they still make them and mine still holds charge!

My 2cents....or 2 loonies with inflation....

I've been using a QSC k10. Can anyone tell me what difference I'd expect using something like an Elis 8.8?
My biggest gripes with the qsc is I need a lot of distance from it to sound good, tubbyness, and too much spread spilling into other band members' ears and room.

Interesting read. I currently have a pair of FR-10s (awaiting the V2 preamps!), and an EV PXM-12. Both are great FRFR systems (minus the Fender hiss issue). But, I wanted to try out the Elis 8s, and found a decent deal on the pair. I'll try and remember to report back.

Compared to a good tube amp and cab, one of things that can be missing is the kick in the chest. I'll never forget that first time! But, oh my ears!!! The reality is that, for as cool as that is, it's impractical. We don't need to feel the bass in that range for guitar.

So we'll see how that is with the Elis 8's getting down to around 70hz. I imagine it's just about perfect for live, and I can always send to FoH with another out, instead of a line out on the cab (Fender and EV both have that, but not the Elis 8).

Last edited:
I have two Neo mkii CLRs and two original ones. I've had
the Friedman 12's The Ev pxm12, the Headrush the Fender FR-12's, Qsc, the Elis 8's and I tried the mf-10's as well. The CLR'S to me have the best sound but I've been having issues with my Neo versions lately making strange noises and one sounds a lot different than the other and they sound different than the original models. I'm so tired of dealing with FRFR speakers!!!

Interesting read. I currently have a pair of FR-10s (awaiting the V2 preamps!), and an EV PXM-12. Both are great FRFR systems (minus the Fender hiss issue). But, I wanted to try out the Elis 8s, and found a decent deal on the pair. I'll try and remember to report back.
It'll be tough to forget since I'm gonna bug you about it daily.

It'll be tough to forget since I'm gonna bug you about it daily.
do it jewish GIF

I have a pair of Bose S1 pro monitors I use. 15 lbs each and they’ll run on included rechargeable battery for over 8 hours and Bluetooth support making it easy to jam along to tracks streamed from phone/computer/etc. They are a bit pricey though. I got mine before COVID so something like 20% cheaper than current pricing.

The pair replaced my mk1 DXR10 which I loved but also weighed more than the two Bose together.
I most likely will get those. Talking to MF and Sweetwater. They are pricey for sure.......Thanks

EDIT: No deals so I'll keep looking!

Last edited:
I'm so tired of dealing with FRFR speakers!!!
So true. I have an old 4x12" that I use on a regular basis for almost 35 years and still going strong. I added a 1x12" two years ago just for the fun.
FRFR seems to be a never ending story. I think a Fender FR12 with V2 preamp can be the end of the road for FRFR.

Back
Top Bottom