SLO. Anybody digging this model? Am I missing the point?

I think the SLO is incredible with a drive in front. You can really create the ultimate high monster with that thing. I always think about the fact that it is the basis for both the 5150 and the Dual Rectifier (and I guess the Archon too), even though all three amps sound very different functionally due to very different pot tapers. So I think of it as in that family anyway, where you can really hone your own beast with a drive. I wouldn't know what to do without a drive on that thing. I've tried!
It's not pot tapers, if it was pot tapers you could adjust the knobs until you got to the same value on the different tapers. The taper of a pot is just the shape of the ramp up between values. A 10 MOhm pot goes from 0-10 MOhms no matter the taper, the taper just decides how quickly it ramps from 0 to 10 as you twist it, so it has a big effect on what the half way point value is compared to other tapers. But all pots that have the same rating start and end at the same palce, and have all the same values available along their travel, just at different places.

There are a few circuit tweaks between them, but the design of the power amps and negative feedback is a big source of the differences.

The SLO is a little different from it's other SLO-derived cousins. The 5150 prefers less power amp distortion, and the Dual Rectifier basically requires a clean power amp so it doesn't become a fuzzy tubby mess. This is why Mesa's Rectifier SOLO heads came in 150w versions for more headroom.

The SLO is different, it can start a little overly bright with the master volume low, but pushing the master further smooths the high end and fills out the sound. So try experimenting with the master volume until you get the result you want. This is also why it has a reputation for sounding the best at ear splitting volumes.

I've struggled with the SLO myself. It wasn't until I watched vids by Pete Thorn, Michael Nielsen and Fluff before it started making sense. I'm still not there on my SLO tones, but I'm getting better. This video helped.

OMG that link starts on my favorite part of the entire video.

Pete: Should we start on overdrive?
Tim: Yes!
Pete: Did you ever use channel 1?
Tim: NOOOOOOO!

I personally love the soldano SLO-100 and can't seem to get a bad sound out of the thing, especially the new dyna-cab. I don't know where your issue is unforunately.

I've actually had the opportunity to try two Soldanos IRL. SLO 30 like the pic below just last week and once a SLO100. TBH in my experience I didnt care for them but I also wasn't playing them as intended I think..At very loud volumes...and depending on the cab being used with the head. There is a definite forward sizzle to them. I can see them sitting really good in a mix /context of a band.

Attachments

• soldano.jpeg
    soldano.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 29
I personally love the soldano SLO-100 and can't seem to get a bad sound out of the thing, especially the new dyna-cab. I don't know where your issue is unforunately.
What genre of music are you using it for? The dynacab has this weird boomy sound to me for metal

I could never bond with the Soldano until this Video from Leon (@2112 ) thanks Leon!

Agreed the amp totally changes are the master gets up over 6 , that was a huge tone tip that changed it for me to also KT66 tube type that I think AB has in one of his presets sounds killer as well

OP post exemplifies the different taste and results musicians have. Solo 99 Clean has been my go to amp for years. For my playing style and guitars it handles the chorus, verb, ambient and crunch, collectively, better than any amp I've tried. If I'm not mistaken I discovered it in the Ultra preset 'Subway Verb' years ago. Backed off the verb a bit and been with that setup ever since.

The Solo 100 Lead is one of favorite amp models. I just leave B, M, and Treble at 5 and use Presence and Depth for the top end/low end response to suit the guitar. Start with the gain at around 3 and adjust to taste. Setting gain around 2-2.5 gives you a nice cranked Marshally overdrive, and setting it around 4 will give you plenty of gain for a chunky and defined rhythm tone.

If you want a little less midrange and more top end sparkle, lower the Master Volume to 4.5.

The tone controls are very sensitive, so make SMALL adjustments if they're needed.

I threw this together for fun after reading your thread. Voiced with a HSS Charvel (Seymour Duncan 78 and Fender Yosemite SC's).

You'll need FW 22.00 beta to run it. I like the 'earthiness' of the SLO's. Especially great at battle volume.
Brett:
Loving the preset you posted! Both the SLO 100 and 88 each sound completely fantastic! Playing via my 1999 Carvin DC127 w stock HBs. Meat, definirtion (blend of distortion and definition lol) and chirps on command. Where was this back in the mid-80's? If only! lol

Lee

Last edited:
What I'm taking away from this thread, is that I cannot believe that Dyna-Cabs have been out for a year.

No wonder I'm old. Years are taking weeks now.

@bigEjams here you go:

It says FW23.xx but it was actually made with FW24.xx -- Axe-Change needs a FW bump in the drop down.

It's a "kitchen sink" gigging preset for me so it's got a lot of blocks in it and won't fit in anything but an AFIII right now. If you want a slimmed down version for an FM9 or FM3 let me know.
Thank you so much!! Was able to try the scenes out real quick before getting ready for work, and the tones are fantastic. I really appreciate the share!

Back
Top Bottom