SLO. Anybody digging this model? Am I missing the point?

squealie

Experienced
SLO. I keep trying. I just hate it.

Some of my favorite recorded tones are the Soldano. I just do not get along with this model. The SLO factory cabs are even more disagreeable, including the new dyna-cab.

It's got to be me. This is an iconic hard rock amp.

Who has advice, or better yet a preset?

SLO is my latest fav. I use it to build a lead tone and it sounds perfect with my EMG bridge pickup. It also sounds good with Dimarzio bridge. But I prefer the extra punch that EMG is pushing

I just set everything at noon and add a BB Pre AT in front and with V30 cab.

Also the FM3 factory preset Solo 99 sounds pretty good to me.

Attachments

• Marco Lead.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I like the combination of the Legacy cabs 4x12 Basketweave G12H30 (RW) and 4x12 Solo V12 (RW) for the Solo 100 Lead. Here are my amp and cab settings:

Gain 4
Bass 3.75
Mid 6
Treble 6
Pres 4.5
Depth 2.75
Master 5
Level -12
Bright On
Sometimes I engage the Amp Input Boost = FAS Boost.

G12H30 - Low cut 95, High Cut 8575, Low Slope 24, High Slope 12
Solo V12 - Low cut 105, High Cut 9750. Low Slope 24, High Slope 24

I threw this together for fun after reading your thread. Voiced with a HSS Charvel (Seymour Duncan 78 and Fender Yosemite SC's).

You'll need FW 22.00 beta to run it. I like the 'earthiness' of the SLO's. Especially great at battle volume.

Attachments

• It's SLOtime! (100W) FW 22.00.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 106
I like the SLO in fractal because I can push it harder than I would ever be able to do with the real thing. If I recall, the real amp doesn't sound good until you're at ear bleeding volumes.

When I first got my Fractal back on FW 12 or so, I wasn't crazy about it either. It has gotten much better over the updates. That might just be me and Cliff would say he hasn't changed a thing. I think SLO's are kind of characterized by their sizzle. Haubman's settings look good. One thing I would put in is a bright cap at 1000pf. This is the SLO "Warren Haynes" mod and similar to a Dual Recto. Keep the gain around 6 and it will stay tight. They can get a little flubby so add a drive to taste. I have a clone I built and with the bright cap, it sounds great straight up with no boost.

I've struggled with the SLO myself. It wasn't until I watched vids by Pete Thorn, Michael Nielsen and Fluff before it started making sense. I'm still not there on my SLO tones, but I'm getting better. This video helped.

yeah i had to reset this video and watch it from that start, never seen it. thanks for sharing

I like the SLO in fractal because I can push it harder than I would ever be able to do with the real thing. If I recall, the real amp doesn't sound good until you're at ear bleeding volumes.
I tried out a 100 watt model in a music store around 2008 and it sounded fantastic even at lower volumes. One of my favourite amps.

My buddy got a SLO-30 so i semi copied settings for a les paul/SLO preset. It sounds good but it’s not my go-to. Never tried the real thing (my friend is stateside).

When you use the slo dyna cab with the slo head it sound pretty good. But when I use this cab with others head i don’t really like it .

I dig it a lot! I use it more for a rock tone. Using a Friedman classic plus pickup, I set the gain around 3, the master around 4.5, everything else to taste (the eq is powerful), and then the Mesa slant Dyna-Cab with a dynamic and ribbon with a low cut around 80hz or so in the preamp section.

I haven’t really vibed with the SLO cab IRs or the dyna-cab version of the SLO cab. It has this boominess/thump/reverb to it that I just don’t like. I know a lot of people love the SLO but I just can’t get the cab to work for me.

I think the SLO is incredible with a drive in front. You can really create the ultimate high monster with that thing. I always think about the fact that it is the basis for both the 5150 and the Dual Rectifier (and I guess the Archon too), even though all three amps sound very different functionally due to very different pot tapers. So I think of it as in that family anyway, where you can really hone your own beast with a drive. I wouldn't know what to do without a drive on that thing. I've tried!

Back
Top Bottom