Slash Tone

The Axe AFD probably does sound like what his amp sounded like, problem is his amp then went through preamp-EQ-Tape-Mixing-Mastering before it got to your ears....

Slash definitely has a lot of tone in his fingers. When ever you hear even a riff or a guest solo you can always recognize it's him. That being said you can get a tone close to his for sure. However... AFD had close to no low end at all which was most likely due to 80s audio engineering. The tone however is there and it's awesome.

Personally I use Cab Pack 8 for Slash type tones which is also a Greenback cab. You have two mixes that Cliff made out of Cab Pack 8 right next to the IR you're using in case you're interested.

Still I think you need to pick the same way Slash does which is really agressive and spanky. :)

I love Slash's tone, but I just can't connect with any of the AFD models on the AxeFx. All the models are insanely bright and piercing. I'm convinced it's my playing style that is simply incompatible with that amp. Kinda bummed about this. But I've heard others get great AFD tones. Just wish I could do it.

i still try daily to find tone in my fingers. I'm sick and tired of placing my fingers in my ears and listening carefully for tone, still cant hear any though? Tone in thy fingers, WTF! lol I know what you are saying ofcourse, but hey, many a player can play "exactly the same as slash", because as slash agrees: I am nothing without my Marshall!" The gear is the key, not the fingers every time!

i still try daily to find tone in my fingers. I'm sick and tired of placing my fingers in my ears and listening carefully for tone, still cant hear any though? Tone in thy fingers, WTF! lol I know what you are saying ofcourse, but hey, many a player can play "exactly the same as slash", because as slash agrees: I am nothing without my Marshall!" The gear is the key, not the fingers every time!

no

Edit, to certain degree, however i can put 2000 people in front of slashes gear, and they wont sound anything like him

OK guys.......I've been working on this for about a week now and I can get close, but something still just isn't right. Has anyone nailed that Appetite for Destruction tone that Slash had? If so, please share some tips on how you got there. I'm particularly referring to Nightrain and Out To Get Me tones.....

You wouldn't be trying to compare a "live" tone to something you heard recorded 26 years ago, in a recording studio, onto tape, mixed, mastered, then digitally compressed to fit on a CD would you?
First step, emulate Slash, get drunk, crank it up, and play it like YOU own it. Forget about trying to sound like something else. Not even Slash can do that. It's an analog world and no two things are ever the same.
Take Mark Day for example: His shit sounds way better than the original stuff. He Rocks!

Back
Top Bottom