Slash Tone

ssmorga78

Experienced
OK guys.......I've been working on this for about a week now and I can get close, but something still just isn't right. Has anyone nailed that Appetite for Destruction tone that Slash had? If so, please share some tips on how you got there. I'm particularly referring to Nightrain and Out To Get Me tones.....

The only way to get slash tone, is to have slashes amp, slashes guitar, slashes pickup, and most of all be slash

Sorry i couldn't help it

Edit

What sort of guitar are you using?

I'm using a '93 Les Paul Studio with a set of Stew Mac Golden Age Parson Street pickups with A2 mags. I can get closest with the Brit AFS100 1. I am using the 4x12 Fractal GB M160 UR cab. There is still something wonky with it....I just cant put my finger on it.

Slash is using V30 cabs currently, you're using a Greenback cab. That will produce a glaringly different sound. Quick research suggests he was possibly using G12-65s back on AFD and that the G12-80 might be worth trying as well.

I did try the AFS100 2 model...... felt that I got closer with the 1 model than the 2. I also tried the Brit Super model as well with no lock...... I am trying to do it without a Tone Match, but that may be what I have to end up doing.

Slash is using V30 cabs currently, you're using a Greenback cab. That will produce a glaringly different sound. Quick research suggests he was possibly using G12-65s back on AFD and that the G12-80 might be worth trying as well.

Yes, Live he does use cabs with V30's, but in the studio...where the albums are made...he uses cabs with Greenbacks in them.

Thee was a tone match on the exchange for I want to say,welcome to the jungle maybe try that on?

Too much low end and maybe too much presence? You may want to explore other cab IRs, I'm wondering if it's a simple matter of mic positioning.

Ok, here is a sample of the patch I have been working on. It sounds close, but still a little off to me. Any ideas just from listening to the track, aside from playing better.....lol, its late, I'm tired.....

https://soundcloud.com/shaun-morgan-7/nightrain-test-1

First thing I would do if you want to cop Slash is pop in a set of the SD Slash pickups ,It will take you a big step in that direction , I have a set in one of my LP's and they give that vibe to just about everything ,Especially the AFD amps in the Ax Fx ! I use AFD 2 works Great !!
The Golden Age set won't get you there.

This may sound crazy, but I got that AFD tone by accident a little while back when I screwed up with my cab block low cut.. I believe it was around 2000 where it was cut. I know that is crazy, but it had that recorded tone and I was wondering how it sounded so damn close to the album. I was like wtf did I do all of a sudden its there. Then I changed amps and it sounded weird, so I stared digging through everything and found out that it was the low cut in the cab block. I was also using one of the AFS model amps, but can't remember which one.

Edit: This was also with the bright switch on the amp turned off because using the bright switch made it sound really bad, and that was probably due to the cab block low cut being so damn high.

The only way to get slash tone, is to have slashes amp, slashes guitar, slashes pickup, and most of all be slash Sorry i couldn't help it Edit What sort of guitar are you using?
Well let's just close the forum up then. Nothing to see here folks!

Back
Top Bottom