Skinner Burst pickups = real deal

Mine just arrived!! Let's pick out a guitar and get these babies in!

Mine will arrive tomorrow, but I am also going away in a few days. So probably wont be installed for a good week and a half to two weeks.So looking forward to your review!

As for guitar choice, my set will be going into my 1980 Les Paul Standard (and I'm the original owner, proud to say!)

The Seth Lovers will come out of that, depending how much I like the Skinner Burst pickups might replace the magnets on the Seth Lovers and shelf them for a future guitar. Or just leave them as is (they do sound great) just seem to be chasing a different sound lately, so we will see.

The "Skinner Burst" the "Seth Lover" all pickups based on the "1959" period. Suspect if I drop the alnico 3's into the Seth Lovers they are going to sound pretty much like the Skinner Burst. @jakbur has already done it and he is digging it. @cronerror has really peaked my interest in swapping magnets.

This thread really has me charged up

John

Well ,...... Any feedback from recent experience ?
Since I installed them in my LP , I revisited the new factory presets again yesterday.
It takes a great set of pickups in a great guitar to truly appreciate the presets IMO. Damn. I USED to have - A - favorite.
Now I've got 12 favorites.

Well ,...... Any feedback from recent experience ?
Since I installed them in my LP , I revisited the new factory presets again yesterday.
It takes a great set of pickups in a great guitar to truly appreciate the presets IMO. Damn. I USED to have - A - favorite.
Now I've got 12 favorites.
Have them....but haven't installed yet. The suspense is killing me...

For anyone that may be curious, did the swap a few hours ago. The Skinnerburst are in. (My 1980 Les Paul Standard)
First impressions:

Yes they are brighter than the Seth Lovers.

Im finding the bass a little tighter (that could be new strings, honeymoon phase, or a little of both take your pick) either way I like it.

They play nice together! I have had matched sets before were the bridge and neck pickup just don’t get along, no matter what adjustments you make. Not the case here!

Seem to have allot of definition (that could be new strings, honeymoon phase, or a little of both take your pick).

They still have a similar vibe to them, kind of like the Seth Lovers. (Don’t feel or sound totally alien.) which I like.

A little hotter for sure, still beautiful cleans so I would not consider it a high output pickup.

Bottom line pretty freaking happy!

BTW a pleasant surprise! ---

For whatever reason (maybe due to their EQ curve) they seem to clean up way better then the Seth Lovers. When I roll back that volume there are some beautiful tones throughout the whole range (both pickups) But there again (that could be new strings, honeymoon phase, or a little of both take your pick.)

John

For anyone that may be curious, did the swap a few hours ago. The Skinnerburst are in. (My 1980 Les Paul Standard)
First impressions:

Yes they are brighter than the Seth Lovers.

Im finding the bass a little tighter (that could be new strings, honeymoon phase, or a little of both take your pick) either way I like it.

They play nice together! I have had matched sets before were the bridge and neck pickup just don’t get along, no matter what adjustments you make. Not the case here!

Seem to have allot of definition (that could be new strings, honeymoon phase, or a little of both take your pick).

They still have a similar vibe to them, kind of like the Seth Lovers. (Don’t feel or sound totally alien.) which I like.

A little hotter for sure, still beautiful cleans so I would not consider it a high output pickup.

Bottom line pretty freaking happy!

BTW a pleasant surprise! ---

For whatever reason (maybe due to their EQ curve) they seem to clean up way better then the Seth Lovers. When I roll back that volume there are some beautiful tones throughout the whole range (both pickups) But there again (that could be new strings, honeymoon phase, or a little of both take your pick.)

John

....so do you love em ?

Yeah I like them allot, its more of what the guitar should sound like in my head. (Tele on steroids with a little beef around them)
So yeah I am glad I got them.

They do a have similar vibe to the Seth Lovers, like I said above.
I also have a set of Joe Bonamassa pickups the Magellan set (I think there called) only 1959 sets made.
They also sound good on there own but for whatever reason they don't play well together. Need to try them in a different guitar.

Out of all three sets just mentioned the Skinnerburst are going to be my go-to choice.

John

Thanks for letting us know the details. I'm happy to hear feedback from others who feel the same as I do about these pickups.

I was originally thinking they were going to be a little on the hot side , for my liking , but was pleasantly surprised with their fantastic range with the guitar volume knob !

@1poorplayer
Back in July I was jonsing for a LP R9 then I saw your post about the Skinnerburst pickups and decided to buy a set and put them in my LPS instead. However I’ve been super busy and haven’t installed them yet. Now reading all of these comments I feel like I have to find a way to get them installed this weekend. Now I’m wondering if I should buy a set for my 1967 es335td - I love that guitar but the original pups are quite dark.

@1poorplayer
Back in July I was jonsing for a LP R9 then I saw your post about the Skinnerburst pickups and decided to buy a set and put them in my LPS instead. However I’ve been super busy and haven’t installed them yet. Now reading all of these comments I feel like I have to find a way to get them installed this weekend. Now I’m wondering if I should buy a set for my 1967 es335td - I love that guitar but the original pups are quite dark.

Well , I would recommend you get them in that LP standard ASAP , and give her a whirl first , before you buy another set.
I seldom put myself out there - with purchase recommendations , because everyone knows how subjective guitars and gear are , but I felt the need to pass along my enthusiasm for these pickups here on this forum. The guys here are awesome. Generally modest , and very willing to help.

My only fear in posting this thread was disappointing someone - expecting different results. I've tried to be as specific as possible to avoid that from happening. Thanks @6L6C ( John ) ,and @bradlake for following up with the thread after you bought your own sets. It put a smile on my face to hear you guys have the same appreciation for them as I.

It took me over 25 years of playing guitar before I started the journey of painstakingly learning the effects of different guitar bodies and wood types , and finally pickup windings , and magnet types.
I came to the conclusion that it is best to start with a great sounding electric guitar ( that sounds great UNPLUGGED ). Sometimes you've gotta play one that sounds like shit unplugged , then play a good one , to learn the difference.

Guys get into this situation where they have a "dark" guitar , or a "bright" guitar and try to emphasize or correct the flaws with their pickups. THERE'S a rabbit hole , if there ever was one ( IMO )
If you have a great sounding guitar , all you need is a good , neutral sounding pickup. One that's not too hot , so to lose the character of your guitar , but strong enough to give you a full dynamic range with the use of your volume knob.
Blah , blah , blah , sorry for the rant. I'm no expert. I'm like everyone else , in any and every profession , I only know what I've experienced , and these things I've experienced.
Good luck. Hope you like the JB skinners as much as I do. ( I DID mention I have 4 sets ? )

@1poorplayer

I hear you about finding time, but when I just don’t see a opening, just bite the bullet and bring it to your local guitar guy, and let him/her do it.

I was originally thinking they were going to be a little on the hot side , for my liking , but was pleasantly surprised with their fantastic range with the guitar volume knob !
This was a concern of mine also.
But now I have plans! (thanks to the Skinnerburst)

@cronerror suggested playing with different magnets and I think I’m going to take his advice.

Going to take the Seth Lovers I have and replace the magnets with Alnico 3 magnets. @jakbur has already done this to his Seth Lovers and likes them.
Put alnico 3 magnet in my Seth Lover and it's awesome sounding in my LP.
These pickups will end up in my Gibson V (the guitar is from 1982 they called it “The V” as opposed to “Flying V”) As of right now it has Gibson “Dirty Fingers” in it, I believe, but not positive till they come out. Great sounding pickups (whatever they are) but a bit dark and compressed and the past few years my taste have changed not only in tone but the way it is created.

John

Just in case anyone was curios.

Put the Alnico 3 magnets in the Seth Lover Pickups this past Wenesday and just installed them on my Gibson "The V". Left the covers off BTW. Happy yes, more in the direction I want.

Some surprises though !

1. The pickups are out and I'm still not sure what they are. I still suspect they are Gibson Dirty Fingers. Bottom line I have to do more research.
2. Holy crap, I knew the pickups I pulled were hotter that what I usually like. But there even hotter! DC resistence on the Gibsons I pulled were 15.6K & 16K. The Seth Lovers I put in are 8.1K & 7.6.
3. Another thing the magnets, the Gibson pickups are really strong. Now that those pickups are out the guitar sounds allot better acoustically rings out allot more. So better sustain and just a chimmer high end acoustically.
Plugged in the guitar sounds glorious!

Since the magnet replacement on the Seth Lovers pickups clean up allot better (like the Skinnerburst). They really remind me of the Skinnerburst now, kind of makes scene all pickups based on 1950's models.

John

2. Holy crap, I knew the pickups I pulled were hotter that what I usually like. But there even hotter! DC resistence on the Gibsons I pulled were 15.6K & 16K. The Seth Lovers I put in are 8.1K & 7.6.
3. Another thing the magnets, the Gibson pickups are really strong. Now that those pickups are out the guitar sounds allot better acoustically rings out allot more. So better sustain and just a chimmer high end acoustically.
Plugged in the guitar sounds glorious

If those pick ups you pulled have two rows of screws (no flat magnets), and they're really hot....very likely Dirty Fingers.
I love those in my old Gibsons. If you went to sell them, PM me.

I still have Skinnerbursts to install....still sitting in the box. I need to find some free time.

Dirty Fingers.jpg View attachment 42597 @BBN
Thanks for the offer! But I'm going to keep them, it might have come off that I don't like them, but I do.
So for now they will go on the shelf and probably end up in one of my other guitars in the future.

And yes they do have the two rows of screws like you said.

John

Back
Top Bottom