Skinner Burst pickups = real deal

1poorplayer

Power User
After many years of chasing tone with my Les Pauls , I found the pickup type that I feel is the only one to have.
In order to get the full dynamic range of cleans to grit to growl , I think it's essential to use a lower output pup.
Magnet type is another factor that plays a very important part. Alnico II are dark , Alnico V are bright , while Alnico III are very balanced.
Low output , Alnico 3 pickups - from Gibson ( like the ones found in early original 50's Les Pauls ) are not available for individual sale from Gibson. Apparently they save these "special" pickups for their historic reissues.
So , after looking for used pickups of this type ; taken from reissue LPs , I stumbled upon the Seymour Duncan Bonamassa Skinnerburst pickups.
800 sets made , limited edition.
I currently own 4 sets of them. They are a reproduction of the pickups in Joe's 59 Les Paul.
There are more sets still out there on Reverb , eBay , etc , but I wouldn't expect them to last forever.
...what sweet sounding pickups. Joe is obviously a great player , and undoubtedly knows great tone , but it was the specs of his pickups that drew me in , NOT his name.
I know this thread is written around my personal opinion , based on my experience of trials and errors over the years , so I don't expect everyone to agree.
For those who can relate to what I have said , I would encourage you to get a set for yourself , before they are gone !

yep, ordered a set as soon as i heard about them. put them in my lemonburst R9, absolutely the best LP tones i've ever had. i have mine uncovered. i can go from tele-esque spank to thick and creamy LP with just the guitar volume.

Interesting. I've never heard of these. I have leaned toward Duncan Antiquity pups since I played them. Any thoughts on how these compare?

Not wanting to derail your thread as you have obviously found something that makes you happy, but this thread underscores the magic of magnet swapping in PAF-style pickups.

A magnet swap in a humbucker takes 5 minutes max...and you may find that combinations that sound like choirs of angels in one guitar, sound like poop in the next. If you have low-wind pickups that you are pretty happy with, buy a few magnets in A3, A4, A5 for ~$4 a piece from Addiction-fx ( http://addiction-fx.com/gallery1.htm) and do some taste testing. Like you, I have found that I like A3 & A4 magnets in a lot of my low-wind pickups. IMO, this is the best, lowest cost way to teach yourself not only about what you like, but also how the components of a pickup interact with a bright or dark guitar.

Congrats on your find.

Interesting. I've never heard of these. I have leaned toward Duncan Antiquity pups since I played them. Any thoughts on how these compare?

Can't say personally , but a quick search showed antiquity pups using Alnico 2 magnets. If that's the case , I would guess the skinnerburst pups would have more clarity , without being too bright like an A5 would be.
( All opinion - based on the mag type )

Wait ,.... another thread here says - "pickups don't matter" , lol it's all about your IR.

OMG. Thats too funny.
Well , ..... If you put enough dirt on your sound , that's probably true. I hate to pick up on that thread , but I just saw it here. Im using the factory IRs currently , and I bought a couple cab packs shortly after I bought my AX8.
To each his own , but for the record , pickups ( IMO ) are VERY important.
The Skinner Burst pickups are worth the coin. I have 2 sets installed in my guitars , and bought 2 sets to have on hand before I posted this thread , because they sound great. I want my guitar to range from CLEAN to MEAN. Not just any pickup will achieve this. But , ..... Different smokes for different folks.

Last edited:
hooooooly SSSSHHHHiiTTTTBALSSS.....
Got my 2014 Custom Shop
LP 59 burst back from my luthier buddies at chicago Music exchange..setup properly ! and with my new SKINNER BURSTS...all I can say is A) now I know how Nigel Tufnel feels about his infinitely sustaining Burst
And B) thanks to @1poorplayer for the enlightenment, MJ at SEymour Duncan for her otherworldly winding,
And to Mr. B. For finding and sharing this treasure.

BTW....there are still some left on Amazon...but the set I just received was numbered close (757) to the end of the limited (800) run.....get em while they’re hot..and sweet...and smooth and gainy and .......

Last edited:
Ok, you sold me on these...just ordered a set. Looks like 19 left.
Now to determine which LP to put them in....85 Silverburst, 79 Wine custom, 76 Deluxe, 74 black custom or 07 Chambered honey burst....

...they aren't magic. I would best describe them as "neutral" , which is IMO - ideal , for a great sounding . Articulate , clear , enough strength , but too much , not dark , not bright.
I had a chambered , satin honeyburst LP once , that was beautiful , but I hated the way it sounded. The chambering made it sound "off" , and almost banjo-like.
Pickups couldn't save it. Pickups are merely microphones for your guitar , so you need a good source.
Buying a $10,000 neuman mic won't cause a horrible singer to sound like a star.
With all that said , I have an 04 LP standard that I refinished to a yellow 2 years ago , that no pickup height adjustment could satisfy me. ( Certainly before replacing pickups in any guitar , everyone should experiment with height adjustment. )
Anyways , .... I threw the J Bonamassa skinners in it , and can't put that guitar down now. It went from wall art to a player.

I don't care how good they sound because they're not potted, at least according to SD's site they aren't. While I understand that the lack of potting makes them a more accurate representation of the original, the lack of potting makes they less versatile (IMHO) because they can't be used in hi-gan applications without the risk of microphonic feedback.

I've been playing long enough to have owned a Dimarzio that wasn't potted and I will never own an unpotted pickup again.

I don't care how good they sound because they're not potted, at least according to SD's site they aren't. While I understand that the lack of potting makes them a more accurate representation of the original, the lack of potting makes they less versatile (IMHO) because they can't be used in hi-gan applications without the risk of microphonic feedback.

I've been playing long enough to have owned a Dimarzio that wasn't potted and I will never own an unpotted pickup again.

You can have it potted? My luthier buddy does it for me any time I decide to take covers off..then put back on later. It's quick and cheap.

...they aren't magic. I would best describe them as "neutral" , which is IMO - ideal , for a great sounding . Articulate , clear , enough strength , but too much , not dark , not bright.
I had a chambered , satin honeyburst LP once , that was beautiful , but I hated the way it sounded. The chambering made it sound "off" , and almost banjo-like.
Pickups couldn't save it. Pickups are merely microphones for your guitar , so you need a good source.
Buying a $10,000 neuman mic won't cause a horrible singer to sound like a star.
With all that said , I have an 04 LP standard that I refinished to a yellow 2 years ago , that no pickup height adjustment could satisfy me. ( Certainly before replacing pickups in any guitar , everyone should experiment with height adjustment. )
Anyways , .... I threw the J Bonamassa skinners in it , and can't put that guitar down now. It went from wall art to a player.

Sure, I understand it's not magic. I've had guitars that no pick up could save.
My chambered is very resonant (which makes the cleans nice), but it's not 'the best' for higher gain tones. It's not bad, but it will never sound like one of my 10lb LPs.
That being said, it has a set of Tom Anderson H1/H2+ in it, and it's one of my favorite gig guitars. You can't beat 7lbs 6oz, when you have to play for 3 hours.
I may try them in that guitar (with realistic expectations) just because I'm curious.

Sure, I understand it's not magic. I've had guitars that no pick up could save.
My chambered is very resonant (which makes the cleans nice), but it's not 'the best' for higher gain tones. It's not bad, but it will never sound like one of my 10lb LPs.
That being said, it has a set of Tom Anderson H1/H2+ in it, and it's one of my favorite gig guitars. You can't beat 7lbs 6oz, when you have to play for 3 hours.
I may try them in that guitar (with realistic expectations) just because I'm curious.

...I meant no disrespect with the magic comment , or my dislike of my old chambered LP. I just wanted to emphasize how the pickup will only amplify what the guitar sounds like acoustically unplugged.
My former comments are just my opinions. Sometimes they are long winded , but it's only so people can have a background to understand where I'm coming from , so I don't inadvertently mislead anyone. I obviously love these JB pickups ( or at least the specs ) , and I think anyone who shares my views will love them too. Best of luck !

@1poorplayer
@brianv4
@bradlake
@BBN

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I want you all to know you suck! :)

And yes I ordered a set too. :p

Not wanting to derail your thread as you have obviously found something that makes you happy, but this thread underscores the magic of magnet swapping in PAF-style pickups.

Put alnico 3 magnet in my Seth Lover and it's awesome sounding in my LP.

The magnet swapping is something I think I would like try in the future. And I think I will try it with my set of Seth Lovers. Had them for years and love them but after acquiring a Les paul Custom about 6 years ago I don’t know. The custom guitar is very tele like, bright & poppy. Almost changed the pickups in that guitar but held off and glad of it. Had considered changing the pots the 300 ohms to tame the high end a bit. But didn’t do that either. In the end I just back the volume controls down to like 8 or 9.(50’s wiring BTW).

Not the original owner of that LP Custom so I really need to pull the pickups to see what they are, from what I read they are probably a 490R & 498T, but don’t know for sure. Whatever they are they sound great!

I also need to pull the pickups in my Flying V, again I am not the original owner the pickups are original just no documentation with the guitar. And I have been the owner for 31 years now, it’s a 1982 BTW. Never touched this guitar either because it does sound amazing! But my taste are changing! And this guitar is a bit dark, but in a good way.

John

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom