SKB Shallow 4u fit

Ziyan

Will the Axe FX 3 fit the SKB shallow rack with sufficient clearance for the arms once the case is closed?

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=791&o=&c=114&s=

Dimensions are listed on specs page .

Copied here for convenience

Specifications

Interior Width
19.00 in
48.26 cm
Interior Height
7.00 in
17.78 cm
Exterior Depth
16.20 in
41.15 cm
Exterior Width
22.40 in
56.90 cm
Exterior Height
9.10 in
23.11 cm
Carton Length
16.50 in
41.91 cm
Carton Width
23.00 in
58.42 cm
Carton Depth
10.10 in
25.65 cm
Rack Space Units Total
Rack Depth Rail to Rail
10.70 in
27.18 cm
Rack Depth Front Rail to Back Lid
12.30 in
31.24 cm
Rack Depth Front Lid To Back Lid
13.50 in
34.29 cm
Shipping Weight
14.40 lb
6.53 kg
Product Weight
12.80 lb
5.81 kg

The back of the Axe III will be just about flush with the back rail if you mount it in this case. That will leave about an inch and a half for cables plugged into the back, so you’ll have to unplug some back cables to close the lid.

The front rails will probably be touching the inside of the front lid. If the case’s published dimensions aren’t precise (I’ve seen that before), you might not be able to close the front lid.

Last edited:
I plan to use my normal depth 4u, with the III and a rack mount wireless in front, then because of the shallower depth in the back, I can also mount my furman power supply, a breakout patch panel, and just a 2u vented filler panel.

The back of the Axe III will be just about flush with the back rail if you mount it in this case.that will leave about an inch and a half for cables plugged into the back, so you’ll have to unplug some back cables to close the lid.

The front rails will probably be touching the inside of the front lid. If the case’s published dimensions aren’t precise (I’ve seen that before), you might not be able to close the front lid.
What about right angle cables? That's how I run my Axe Fx II with my current rack... Otherwise it would not fit.

What about right angle cables? That's how I run my Axe Fx II with my current rack... Otherwise it would not fit.
Depends on the cable. You'd need right-angle signal, power, MIDI or any other cable that you use, with a depth of less than 1.5".

Depends on the cable. You'd need right-angle signal, power, MIDI or any other cable that you use, with a depth of less than 1.5".
Right... I've got all those ;)

In any case (no pun intended), I'm planning to get a Gator case, but was offering options for the OP.

i've put the Axe-Fx III in the older XRACK case: http://www.guitarcenter.com/SKB/XRACK4-Roto-Molded-4U-X-Rack-Case-1274115027299.gc

it fits, but because of the "port cover" design of the rear, rather than an actual lid, i definitely cannot have any cables connected when closing the rear. it's prettttty darn close but fits no issues. if the specs are similar, which i believe they are, it should fit in this current version.
@chris , are those handles removable like they are on the II? I see they are over the rail portion of the faceplate, rather than in front of the chassis. Provided they come off, it should make it even easier than on the II.

Back
Top Bottom