Since it's looking like we won't be able to use the MFC-101...

Wouldn't it be mostly a software issue to make the MFC-101 compatible with the Axe-Fx 3? Then all you need is an adapter for the FASLink 2 port, right?

Sure. But it’s a pretty significant change for the MFC, going from just X/Y to Channels. Can the MFC’s hardware even handle that? Who knows. And frankly, it doesn’t get much love from Fractal. Will they dedicate the needed resources? They have a lot to do I would guess.

Then we don’t know whether the new Axe even sends the needed SysEx messages out for bidirectional communication via MIDI. Here I’m a bit more optimistic because I think some artists use third party controllers with Axe FX.

Sure. But it’s a pretty significant change for the MFC, going from just X/Y to Channels. Can the MFC’s hardware even handle that? Who knows. And frankly, it doesn’t get much love from Fractal. Will they dedicate the needed resources? They have a lot to do I would guess.

Then we don’t know whether the new Axe even sends the needed SysEx messages out for bidirectional communication via MIDI. Here I’m a bit more optimistic because I think some artists use third party controllers with Axe FX.

I'm sure it would have to be at least far more limited in functionality than the new foot controllers. But surely at least functionality available currently with the Axe-Fx 2 would be somewhat possible or at least part of it like showing preset names etc?

I really hope that Fractal puts some effort into making it possible to control the Axe-Fx 3 better with external controllers. The limitations on attaching modifiers are really annoying on the Axe-Fx 2 and mean you need to use SysEx and middleman software if you want to control most parameters.

Technically speaking, the new controllers don't have any functionality except being a box with buttons and displays, and that's the beauty of them - they don't really need any updating.The MFC, on the other hand, does.

Wouldn't it be mostly a software issue to make the MFC-101 compatible with the Axe-Fx 3? Then all you need is an adapter for the FASLink 2 port, right?

You guys are guessing right ?? ,-)

I'm sure I read somewhere that the new FC-6 and FC-12 are on a completely new communication protocol, so no, an adaptor for FAS link 2 is not all that is needed - but you could always try an XLR to XLR adaptor and see for yourself :)

I would be very surprised if the Axe III doesn't send SysEx over midi for the very reason vangrieg states, but I guess we'll have to wait for a comment from FAS or beta testers for that, or for the manual to be released.

A little bummed about the new foot controllers. I like that the programming is now done in the Axe but the number of switches is going to be tough for me. I kind of have a 3 bears situation with the MFC right now and two controllers is not going to work space wise. Very curious to see pricing.

The MFC firmware is full. We even had to abandon some good ideas for new features and ideas awhile back. Some have asked about an MFC firmware version that would eliminate everything except support for the III, but that would be a pretty big undertaking, re-allocating critical resources from the efforts required to get the new products into peak shape. Progress marches forward.

Because that is a statement from FAS.

Yah, that's what I was getting at, where did they say that? I want to read the source... do you have a link? (I'm not doubting you)

From a technical standpoint I don't see why it can't be compatible. It's just MIDI. The sysex messages are well known and supported over a wide range of third party gear. Knowing Fractal the Axefx3 will use some evolutionary version of the MIDI protocol they have for the 2. Potentially the MC1 can get a firmware release down the track to support the changes. As will a lot of the third party controllers I bet (Including the one I wrote).

Edit: Just saw the msg above... makes sense now.

Some have asked about an MFC firmware version that would eliminate everything except support for the III

How does Fractal feel about open sourcing deprecated platforms/products? For something non-core business critical like the MC1 maybe you could consider getting the community to take over the maintenance of the platform see as fractal are "moving on". Maybe wait a year or so and then put the source on github if there isn't anything too sensitive in the code? (And I'm well aware that there maybe issues restricting release of code due to 3rd party libs or whatever)

The MFC firmware is full. We even had to abandon some good ideas for new features and ideas awhile back. Some have asked about an MFC firmware version that would eliminate everything except support for the III, but that would be a pretty big undertaking, re-allocating critical resources from the efforts required to get the new products into peak shape. Progress marches forward.

Was afraid this would be the case. Wonder if the new controllers can be used to send MIDI messages to outboard gear?

It would be a real shame if the MFC becomes abandoned as far as the Axe iii is concerned. Buying the iii AND new controllers at the same time is a big ask.

Was afraid this would be the case. Wonder if the new controllers can be used to send MIDI messages to outboard gear?

I’d imagine if it did it would be acting as a MIDI thru box with the messages coming from the Axe3 since the brain is more or less in the Axe3 itself...on it’s own it wouldn’t have the means to send MIDI messages without an Axe3 connected to it, but don’t quote me on that.

Everything programming wise from the new FC happens inside the 3. That is very different a midi controller. The 3 has midi out so it should be able o send midi messages

It would be a real shame if the MFC becomes abandoned as far as the Axe iii is concerned. Buying the iii AND new controllers at the same time is a big ask.

The MFC-101 is
1) a very good general MIDI FC and
2) purpose build with special integration for the Axe-Fx 2

The Axe-Fx III can be controlled by either
1) a MIDI FC like for instance the MFC-101 by standard midi protocol, or
2) it's purpose build controllers, namely the new FC-6 and FC-12, for which an entirely new communication protocol has been developed to give them the features Cliff wanted them to have

Progress moves forward, and IMO it would be a much bigger shame if FAS halted their new flagship product to suit their legacy midi foot controller or the owners (including me) of said legacy midi FC

The III has MIDI Out, yes. But here’s the issue.

FC doesn’t send any MIDI at all, it’s not a MIDI controller.

The only thing I’ve heard so far about the III is that it has a MIDI block. That one can send messages out. However, the only thing that was stated about it was that it sends messages on scene and preset changes. There has been nothing about sending anything when an FC switch is pressed.

The MFC will still operate very nicely as a standard midi foot controller. I use one to operate a JP2C, an eventide H9, Strymon Timeline, and RJM mini effects gizmo.
Use it to control presets as well is IA functions for each pedal. Sure I have to name my own presets and program everything myself. But once your all set up, it still works great.

The Axe-Fx III can be controlled by either
1) a MIDI FC like for instance the MFC-101 by standard midi protocol, or

Well, kind of. You can change things on the III but can’t get any feedback from it. No preset info, no effect state info, no tempo LED blinking in sync, no tuner, nothing.

As a temporary workaround, it can work. But it’s a lousy solution.

Last edited:
The MFC will still operate very nicely as a standard midi foot controller. I use one to operate a JP2C, an eventide H9, Strymon Timeline, and RJM mini effects gizmo.
Use it to control presets as well is IA functions for each pedal. Sure I have to name my own presets and program everything myself. But once your all set up, it still works great.

I wish someone would do a tutorial video showing how to do all this. The existing MFC-101 tutorial videos don't address this. It would come in handy for those needing to use the MFC-101 with the Axe FXIII.

Well, kind of. You can change things on the III but can’t get any feedback from it. No preset info, no effect state info, no tempo LED blinking in sync, no tuner, nothing.

As a temporary workaround, it can work. But it’s a lousy solution.

That's what I said, the MFC can control the Axe III, but was purpose build with special integration for the Axe II.
If you want the same special integration there's FC-6 and FC-12 that are purpose build for the Axe III, or probably the the RJM GT series if and when their FW is upgraded to integrate with the Axe III.
Probably the LF MFC's too but LF have repeatedly delivered dodgy customer service so I wouldn't recommend anybody to direct their buying power in that direction.

You just put it in MIDI mode, disable all fancy Axe stuff and assign CCs to each switch manually, one at a time, checking Axe manual or control screen to see which CC does what. Tedious but very simple.

Back
Top Bottom