Silverface Patch thread

By the way Jens I really enjoy your instructional stuff.....really great ,you are a wonderful teacher and player!

Wow thats amazing, the one thing I have found with digital of that past, were heavy distortion and metal tones were easy to get but that pure beautiful clean sound with a lot of depth and warmth and anything with just hair of break up with your touch was close to impossible to achieve compared to real analog gear. I have been an analog purist up to this point but this AX8 has been a game changer for me. I own a recording facility and hang out with a lot of other studio guys, but a few times now I have received phone calls from them asking me how my little guitar toy doing, followed by someday you will grow up. I say to them , you guys have to keep an open mind about this stuff.......which is followed by a chuckle by them. Next step set up a rehersal and take both rigs to see how the two compare.

Let me guess that you mostly use clean sounds? I think that all the guys who play cleans can't get a good clean but thinks the distorted sounds are easy to get and of course all the guys who only use metal tones can't get that but find the cleans easy to get (ask Glenn Fricker :) )

Not entirely on topic with your post, but it's always like this..

Jens

Jens I haven't bought any extra cabs yet, just been sticking with what came stock with the AX8. Can you recommend a great cab pack to purchase for good jazz and modern jazz tones?

I grabbed my jazzbox (Hagström HL 550) with full intentions of recording Blue Bossa with your patch last night. The sounds were fantastic, but either my latin time is completely off or Reaper was messing with me (It was probably me), but I failed to get anything that sounded just remotely in time :)

Still had the thing where all the LEDs on my amp controls went dark.

Jens I haven't bought any extra cabs yet, just been sticking with what came stock with the AX8. Can you recommend a great cab pack to purchase for good jazz and modern jazz tones?

I am a bit quirky when it comes to IR's, I pretty much exclusively use far-field IR's from Jay Mithcell. There are 3 in the AX8 and Jay has shared another 3 on the forum some years back.

Why I use them is a long story, but I like that they sound more like a real speaker cab and then I cut in the EQ in the amp to make them sound the way I like. You can see it a bit in the patch as well.

Jens

Finally tried your preset, sounds really nice, i made a few delay tweaks for my use and seems to be a great addition to my newly acquired AX8 preset library.....Thanks again Jens!

I grabbed my jazzbox (Hagström HL 550) with full intentions of recording Blue Bossa with your patch last night. The sounds were fantastic, but either my latin time is completely off or Reaper was messing with me (It was probably me), but I failed to get anything that sounded just remotely in time :)

Still had the thing where all the LEDs on my amp controls went dark.

Cool! Post the video here if you do, I am curious how the patch sounds with that guitar.

Reaper can indeed act up with latency once in a while :)

Jens

Finally tried your preset, sounds really nice, i made a few delay tweaks for my use and seems to be a great addition to my newly acquired AX8 preset library.....Thanks again Jens!
You're welcome! :) Glad you like it!

Jens

Cool! Post the video here if you do, I am curious how the patch sounds with that guitar.

Reaper can indeed act up with latency once in a while :)

Jens
I might give it a shot, if time permits :) I think one of the problems was that I tried to record it at 200 bpm. That was probably too much. I haven't played along with the original for years, so I just did it based on feel and memory, and that must have been a bit off.

Also, I am really no jazz player. I found your 'soloing with arpeggios to blue bossa' video and found it inspiring. It is hard, it is a departure from how I normally think, but I think it will be good for me.

Also, I am really no jazz player. I found your 'soloing with arpeggios to blue bossa' video and found it inspiring. It is hard, it is a departure from how I normally think, but I think it will be good for me.
Always good to try new things :) And it does indeed take some getting used to playing changes like that.

Jens

Hi Jens.....IS there a website, link or specific cab pack (outside of what included with the AX8) that has Jay Mitchells far-fields IR that I can purchase. I did a web search and a whole bunch of threads came up, but nothing with a direct link to purchase........On a side note have you been listening to some of the younger Jazz guys making great music like Mike Moreno or Gilad Hekselmann......great to hear some fresh stuff in our jazz arena.

Hi Jens.....IS there a website, link or specific cab pack (outside of what included with the AX8) that has Jay Mitchells far-fields IR that I can purchase. I did a web search and a whole bunch of threads came up, but nothing with a direct link to purchase........On a side note have you been listening to some of the younger Jazz guys making great music like Mike Moreno or Gilad Hekselmann......great to hear some fresh stuff in our jazz arena.
I don't think there is to be honest, but I don't know. Maybe check around or ask it in the lounge part? I am sure some guys know?

I know Gilad's playing quite well. Really like that. The Mike Moreno stuff I am less familiar with. I like a lot of the Lage Lund and Julian Lage stuff as well :)

Jens

OK - so I finally did - clearly out of my comfort zone, but at least I used arpeggios, and it came out somewhat melodic.

In the first verse, I play along to the rhythm guitar, but you don't hear what I play in the video. The featured rhythm guitar was recorded earlier. The rhythm guitar is your patch with drive and delay off. The lead guitar is your patch with drive (Lovepedal) and delay on. The bass was recorded with focusrite ISA one and a few 500-modules. The drums/perc is a generic Bossa nova beat I found on youtube.

Your patch was set on the Double Verb Vibrato amp. Was that intentional? The X-state contained the Double Verb SF. I liked the Double Verb Vib better so I used that one.

OK - so I finally did - clearly out of my comfort zone, but at least I used arpeggios, and it came out somewhat melodic.

In the first verse, I play along to the rhythm guitar, but you don't hear what I play in the video. The featured rhythm guitar was recorded earlier. The rhythm guitar is your patch with drive and delay off. The lead guitar is your patch with drive (Lovepedal) and delay on. The bass was recorded with focusrite ISA one and a few 500-modules. The drums/perc is a generic Bossa nova beat I found on youtube.

Your patch was set on the Double Verb Vibrato amp. Was that intentional? The X-state contained the Double Verb SF. I liked the Double Verb Vib better so I used that one.

Very nice! :) Thanks for taking the time! It's fun to hear the patch with another instrument.

Yes, I had just switched to the Double Verb Vib. It sounds fuller, more low mids I think. I didn't realize that it was that version I had shared for but it is what I use. I am starting to use it a lot without an overdrive but live I think I need to cut some lows from it, it sounds full but get's a little boomy especially if I use the overdrive only sometimes. The OD usually takes care of the low cut and I have until now always had an OD on.

Jens

@Jens do you use different patches if you use different guitars, like going from a semi to a plywood archtop to a solid top archtop?

@Jens do you use different patches if you use different guitars, like going from a semi to a plywood archtop to a solid top archtop?

It depends more on what I have to play of course, but mostly I just use the same patch and then the volume/tone of the guitar to get a good sound.

Jens

thanks, just gotten a L5 and is messing around with a patch for it. i tend to leave volume and tone wide open when i try to play jazz. having problems getting enough clarity and treble when playing with the thumb :)

thanks, just gotten a L5 and is messing around with a patch for it. i tend to leave volume and tone wide open when i try to play jazz. having problems getting enough clarity and treble when playing with the thumb :)

But that is mostly related to your technique and where you play the strings with your right hand?

Since fingers are softer than a pick then don't be afraid to have a the gain fairly high. If it doesn't compress you probably won't get a useable sound. I think Wes was also turning up the amp quite a bit.

Jens

Back
Top Bottom