Silent Stages Are The Best Thing To Happen To Live Music/Are The Worst Thing To Happen To Live Music??

Silent Stages Are The Best Thing To Happen To Live Music/Are The Worst Thing To Happen To Live Music

• Best Thing To Happen To Live Music

• Worst Thing To Happen To Live Music

• What Is This "Live Music" Thing You Speak Of??

Results are only viewable after voting.

la szum

Axe-Master
Thought this would be an interesting discussion, since there is a trend towards "silent stages"---otherwise
known as musical mime. :)

Please play nice, but also please feel free to state your preferences and the reasons for that preference.

I'm not for milli Vanilli (sp???) like the superbowl, but totally dig being able to see and hear shows that are at "reasonable" volumes. If this takes silent stages, then I'm all for it. As a performer I always try to keep my volume as low as possible (many drummers make this a dubious task at best). I've been to some shows where the guitar player or sometimes bass player is SO FREAKIN' LOUD that I can't hear the rest of the band.

I enjoy playing loud, I could do silent stage but don't. I might try in ears at some point but I'm happy where I an right now.

That said either hardly the best/worst thing ever.

For me at least 4x12 cabs are a dim and distant memory 🥳

Just wanted to be certain what we are talking about. Here's an excerpt from an article. Tell me if this doesn't describe your question:

"The idea behind the Silent Stage is to cut on-stage noise levels to a minimum using, for example, amp simulations, isolation boxes, drum cages and electronic musical instruments. Equally, no monitoring loudspeakers are used and the musicians hear themselves and the other band members via an individually adjustable headphone mix."

If that's the case, then I'd have to say "depends". It depends a lot on what type of concert and genre of music we're talking about. The first concert I went to after Covid lockdowns started easing was Joe Bonamassa. I can't tell you how totally completely freakin' awesome it felt to feel the guitar vibrating my chest. But, I can see a case for the other.

In the big picture it sort of feels like the pursuit of slick production over the raw art though.

Last edited:
In the big picture it sort of feels like the pursuit of slick production over the raw art though.

Well said. :)

I get that the production element may be improved (which is also debatable), but that seems to mean we are
talking about how a lot of these trends (silent stage, use of samples and backing tracks, drummer playing to a click)
seem to me to be borrowed/inherited from shows like American Idol.

Foo Fighters. Joe Bonamassa. Chris Stapleton. Riva Sons. I have heard each express that
they would never accept the new trendy reality, and that what they do live is totally intertwined
with having volume/amps/cabs on stage.

Last edited:
While I can certainly see the reasoning behind silent stages, one of my best experiences was being directly in front of John Petrucci's amps during the first concert I saw them, Scenes From A Memory, at the 930 Club in DC. It was awe-some!
The last gig I saw used a silent stage, and it was the clearest representation of that band I'd ever heard.

I can't recall seeing a "silent stage" show from a worldwide act. Is the trend
being overstated by some? In another thread it was suggested that you could
never gig again if you didn't get onboard with the movement.

Last show I saw was Rival Sons pre-COVID and Scott's Orange amps were roaring!!
No IEMs either. But a couple of guys in the band do use earplugs live. :)

I'll see your sunn O))) and raise you a Dinosaur Jr. :)
I think Masciz and the gang are actually quieter.

My last band played the firebird? In st louis and the very nice FOH dude was impressed and alarmed by our stage volume. He ran the Melvins show a couple weeks later and messaged our drummer to say we were louder. That was when we only had 2203’s lol.

I think Masciz and the gang are actually quieter.

My last band played the firebird? In st louis and the very nice FOH dude was impressed and alarmed by our stage volume. He ran the Melvins show a couple weeks later and messaged our drummer to say we were louder. That was when we only had 2203’s lol.

This is a really thoughtful article for the case against IEMs from a Praise and Worship perspective.

Let me be the first to shout, "Blasphemy!!!" :)

https://www.grantnorsworthy.com/deep-purple-case-ear-monitors/

"Do IEMs help or hinder connection? Togetherness? I am going to argue that, in most Church music situations, IEMs hinder.

Consider this: The main purpose of IEMs is to isolate, not to connect. To give the singer or instrumentalist a monitor sound that is separate, cut off, individualized and distinct from the sound of others in the ensemble and the sound that the congregation is hearing.

From the audio technician’s perspective, IEMs help isolate the room sound from the stage sound. IEMs give the FOH audio engineer greater control, but does so by isolating the elements from one another.

But we’re aiming for connection, not isolation!

This isolation goes beyond just the technicalities of sound. Singers and instrumentalists using IEMs can easily feel musically and even personally isolated too! Comments from IEM users often include statements like:

“I find them helpful but don’t enjoy them.”

“I don’t like ‘em, but I guess they’re a necessary evil.”

“For singing with loud bands I understand why you would use them.”

“I hate them because my voice feels isolated and the music never blends together like it does in a room.”

“I find it so hard to be connected with the band, the song and the crowd.”

“They’re a vibe killer.”

To my mind, the “vibe” that is being killed – or at least badly wounded – with IEMs is connection. Our main objective is being sacrificed in favor of lesser objectives like sonic clarity, the desire for more control and the monitor requirements of individuals."

This is a really thoughtful article for the case against IEMs from a Praise and Worship perspective.

Let me be the first to shout, "Blasphemy!!!" :)

https://www.grantnorsworthy.com/deep-purple-case-ear-monitors/

"Do IEMs help or hinder connection? Togetherness? I am going to argue that, in most Church music situations, IEMs hinder.

Consider this: The main purpose of IEMs is to isolate, not to connect. To give the singer or instrumentalist a monitor sound that is separate, cut off, individualized and distinct from the sound of others in the ensemble and the sound that the congregation is hearing.

From the audio technician’s perspective, IEMs help isolate the room sound from the stage sound. IEMs give the FOH audio engineer greater control, but does so by isolating the elements from one another.

But we’re aiming for connection, not isolation!

This isolation goes beyond just the technicalities of sound. Singers and instrumentalists using IEMs can easily feel musically and even personally isolated too! Comments from IEM users often include statements like:

“I find them helpful but don’t enjoy them.”

“I don’t like ‘em, but I guess they’re a necessary evil.”

“For singing with loud bands I understand why you would use them.”

“I hate them because my voice feels isolated and the music never blends together like it does in a room.”

“I find it so hard to be connected with the band, the song and the crowd.”

“They’re a vibe killer.”

To my mind, the “vibe” that is being killed – or at least badly wounded – with IEMs is connection. Our main objective is being sacrificed in favor of lesser objectives like sonic clarity, the desire for more control and the monitor requirements of individuals."
Great article and thanks for sharing. Who would've thought to connect Deep Purple with modern P&W? I think the author captured my own personal sentiments very well...in church or anywhere else I do think it's a definite "vibe killer". There's a certain connection that is lost. But that doesn't mean there's not a place for the concept; I can see maybe some very small venues needing to do so.

On a larger perspective, and you alluded to this up top with your American Idol reference, this move toward slicker production has been going on for awhile and in some ways this is probably inevitable. Take heart though, there are still some torch bearers out there!

Last edited:
Dream theater doesn’t even have dummy cabs on stage anymore.
And conversely, the last time I saw them was at the Warner Theater (which they're playing tomorrow night btw), and it was horrible. I was in the 2nd row, balcony, ADTOE tour, so they were on in-ears by then, with JP's cabs isolated, so it should've sounded good, and from where I was seated, I would've expected a nicely blended sound. It wasn't a factor of whether they were playing with live amps or not; the ceiling is simply too reflective. So the silent stage issue is still only one of at least a few aspects that still need attention. A lot of it depends on the venue, and where you're seated.

As a sound guy I love the Silent Stage at church. As a guitar player I like it, especially when I have stereo in-ears and can pan instruments where i like. I personally feel More connection with my band mates when I can really hear what they’re playing, which is true with in-ear. From across the stage I’ll smile at our keys player for something cool he did. Back on the day I’d hear mostly drums and my screaming amp…

Mid 80’s I was running sound from stage. We finally had our guitars direct to board and acoustic drums had triggers on them.

I bought the exact same cabinets and sub woofers for stage monitors that I had for front of house.

We just had the perfect sound environment on stage. Loud enough to feel and get feedback into the guitars but still perfectly comfortable. Everybody could hear themselves perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom