Signal drop off with guitar

Triaxis75

Inspired
This is probably pretty easy but I don't know the definitive answer.

While playing my guitar (active pick ups), it began to have noise crackle in the background like I was sitting too closely to a computer or other electrical source. After approximately 5-10 minutes, the sound cuts out to a low output but the neck pup still works but has the background hum/crackle.

First thought is...active pups = change battery.

The conundrum I'm running into is if it was the battery then why aren't both falling out (neck pup still creates sound after bridge pup failure but has the noise/crackle).

Second is, if it's time delayed...then I would think it's thermal related and takes time for the wiring/post to fall off due to current.

Not really sure, wanted to see if there were any tell-tale signs that anyone is familiar with.

*Tested with other guitars (active and passives) no issue...localized.

Thanks everyone, have a great weekend!

I had weird issues with seemingly random loss of signal on one of my guitars. It was about 15 years old so I just re-soldered everything and it came good.
Your situation does sound different but worth a shot.

I ended up replacing the battery then smacked it around like a 60's TV set. Pretty sure the battery but it was weird because I've never had those kind of artifacts happen from a dying battery. It sounded like I had a permanent Fuzz Face on and I thought that it would've caused both pups to drop off, not just the bridge. Gonna re-solder to be sure. Thanks for the responses, was late to return ... had a fun trip to the hospital lol. Ended up having what the doctor said was a non-painful Migraine with Auras. Want an exciting afternoon? Try one of those...LoL

Sounds like a power issue. Sometimes solderless connection can be at fault or even the live signal making a partial contact on screening paint in the control cavity.
Open it up and track the wires and make sure nothing with a signal touches anything it shouldn't and all the connections are solid.

I ended up replacing the battery then smacked it around like a 60's TV set. Pretty sure the battery but it was weird because I've never had those kind of artifacts happen from a dying battery. It sounded like I had a permanent Fuzz Face on and I thought that it would've caused both pups to drop off, not just the bridge. Gonna re-solder to be sure. Thanks for the responses, was late to return ... had a fun trip to the hospital lol. Ended up having what the doctor said was a non-painful Migraine with Auras. Want an exciting afternoon? Try one of those...LoL
FWIW from my experience with Fractal stuff and active pickups it's that usually the first sign of a battery losing juice is the introduction of all sorts of noise that wasnt there before. Mangled a preset trying to dial it out before I realized what was going on.

Sorry to hear about the migraine. Hope you're feeling better!

Back
Top Bottom