Shure PSM 900, or Sennheiser ew 300/EMG3 ?

DigitalTube

Experienced
i need to get one of these in a hurry, any suggestion from anyone using these is appreciated, i've looked at the specs, prices, etc etc, from their websites, just would like to know from real live experiences with these units which one to choose ? any problems with them with drop outs, or any other suggestions is welcome. It will be used on stages with lot's of wireless stuff, mics etc.

Thanks

Just got a Sennheiser ew 300/IEMG3 last week. This weekend was the first week out with it. It worked great. Nice range, crystal clear, no drop outs, sound quality was excellent. Not sure about about the shure :), but w/ the ew300 you can tune it to 1680 frequencies to avoid interference. Also frequency response is 25-15000Hz, the shures are 35-15000Hz. I'm not sure how noticeable the low end would even be with IEMS. Probably couldn't go wrong either way.

Last edited:
It would help to know what your needs for wireless are. The EW series Sennheiser units are EXPENSIVE, especially for an analog wireless system.

Have you looked into the Line6 Relay systems? The G50 is really nice, compact, and comes in at $100 less than the Sennheiser EW172G3 system...

It would help to know what your needs for wireless are. The EW series Sennheiser units are EXPENSIVE, especially for an analog wireless system.

Have you looked into the Line6 Relay systems? The G50 is really nice, compact, and comes in at $100 less than the Sennheiser EW172G3 system...

Relay system is for wireless mic and wireless guitar. I think he is looking for an IEM system considering he mentioned the PSM900. I agree the line 6 relays work great for guitar wireless (although limited in frequencies).

Thanks guys!! ya i'm looking for IEM, I've ben using them for a long time(not these models) so now it's time to get a new system and I'm undecided which of those 2 to get.
By the way just ordered the Line 6 Relay G50 which should be coming in tomorrow, hope those work as advertised.. lol

Now all i need is the Axe II to complete the system.. lol

Last edited:
sennhesier +1

work with the Shure's on a weekly basis...not impressed with them any more than sennheiser's offerings..shures are at least 2x and probably 3x the price and I am not shure why....pun intended...

I bought a Mipro 808 IEM rig a little over a year ago from Mike Volkerding at Freq City Sound (www.ineargear.com). I like this unit! I get zero dropouts with this rig, which is a big difference over the previous setup (Sennheiser IEM 300 G2). Mike was great to work with, too. Check out his site, or give him a call.

had my carvin em900 for a few years now, never failed, same freq response as the sennheiser.. 1/3 the price. uses AA's, metal pack. i'd love to ab with the sennheiser and see if an extra $600 is worth it, hell you could use the money you save to get a gnarly set of buds. I have the fedelitiy custom triple driver buds.

xrist04, checking out the Mipro 808, I like the price! :) that might be a good option,.. surprised never heard of that system before.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions..

There is a reason that touring acts use the Sennheisers over any other unit. The Shures (600 series and higher) are a close second. Everything else is the IEM equivalent of the POD. They work for many users, but pros often find them unacceptable. Usually because in tough RF environments as you move from venue to venue there aren't enough frequencies available to avoid interference and dropouts.

This might not be a problem until you start running 4-5 channels of IEM for a whole band along with 4-5 more other wireless units for guitars and mics etc. The frequencies needed compound because the harmonics of each frequency are also unusable.

i hope you're wrong Tedge.. lol I decided to buy the "MIPRO MI 808" after learning about this system here at the forum, I decided to do a little research, and called a few sound guys i trust and they all agreed it was a very good system, and in some cases one guy used it when the Shure psm 900 was giving performers a problem..so wish me luck..lol
Doing 4 gigs this week starting tomorrow at different locations, there will be tons of wireless onstage, so this will be a good test, I can always return it if it fails, one of the sound guys I talked to, said he only has the Sennheisers and top of the line SHURE systems because, that's what most acts request, he himself prefers the MIPRO.. so I guess I'll soon find out..:)
i've been using the Shure PSM 600, and only occasionally a few drop outs, and noise, but wasn't too bad.

I bought a Mipro 808 IEM rig a little over a year ago from Mike Volkerding at Freq City Sound (In Ear Gear In Ear Monitors Home Page). I like this unit! I get zero dropouts with this rig, which is a big difference over the previous setup (Sennheiser IEM 300 G2). Mike was great to work with, too. Check out his site, or give him a call.

After using my Mipro for over 6 months now I can say it is durable yes and does work with no dropouts. HOWEVER, my brother is the other guitarist in the band I'm in and he always buys top notch for everything. He bought the Shure PSM 900. Finally the I decided to compare the 2 one on one. MIPRO V. SHURE. I could clearly hear there was a sound quality difference! The shure is a lot clearer and has a little less fuzz going on. Just wanted to share that experience. I find myself wondering about selling my MIPRO and buying the shure now. Headphones used were the Shure SE 535's by the way.

I heard a major difference in clarity and headroom when I upgraded from the Shure psm200 to the sennheiser ew300
Stereo helps too

I've been using the Mipro system for a while now and haven't had any problems so far, but on some traveling gigs have used the Shure PSM 900 and and some Seinnheisers, if i were to buy today would probably go with the SHURE PSM 900, i think it sounded the best, BUT haven't had a chance yet to do a direct comparison with the Mipro, Shure and Seinnheiser, many times the sound difference could be the monitor console too.

I have been using the Sennheiser ew 300 G3 series IEM for well over a year. No drop outs and it is rugged. However there is a very high noise floor. Sent the belt pack in and it was replaced... same problem with the new one. This seems to be an issue for multi-driver in-ears (mine are dual driver Livewires). I am keeping the Sennheiser because i would lose too much money on their resale and I can't afford the PSM 900 upgrade. BTW, I had no noise issues with PSM 400, but had to get rid of it when FCC reclaimed 700 MHZ.

Hey, bumping an old thread. Have any of the options outlined here changed much since 2011? I've been looking at IEM systems and been having a difficult time sorting out what's good, what's new, what's old... etc.

At roughly $500 for a transmitter/receiver set, the Mipro 808 is more in the range of what I was hoping to pay. That said, I hate the idea of having to worry about noise/sub-par quality. Are the 808/PSM900/ew300 still pretty much the options, or is there newer stuff that I should be taking a look at?

I own the sennheiser stereo ew300 unit and love it. I bought it from a friend who works at guitar center for $750 brand new so there is a good amount of markup in it if you're good at wheeling and dealing. Just sayin

Back
Top Bottom