Shure GLXD or Line 6 Relay G90?

That is normal.. there IS such as thing as being TOO CLOSE with wireless.. right?
I'm sure there is a lower limit somewhere, but it's likely measured in inches, not feet. If that were the case, you'd expect wireless mice and keyboards to not work - they're much closer. Same with the folks who run the receiver on their pedalboards... transmitter on the hip and receiver on the pedalboard maybe 3-5' away in some cases?

That particular night we were doing sound check and had many, many drop outs. A stage hand said the receiver was "turned off", and when I glanced back, the lights were on. Kept playing and watched it, and saw the receive LEDs turn off. Keep in mind, this was after many months of issues and on either my 4th or 5th pair of transmitters and receivers (other people in the production were on replacements as well - Line6 actually wanted to get a local tech out to help, which we declined as it was too little too late by then). I thought it might be power (loose connector or something). Walked back to the rack and noticed it was just the receive LEDs dropping. Messed around with everything for a short bit of time, said screw it, and ran with a cable (which is a *huge* issue for this production) for that night. Before the next run, I was on my Sennheiser. Which, can in fact, have the transmitter and receiver laying on one another without issue :)

Trust me, I wanted to get the L6 stuff working. It was cheap. Just far too unreliable for us. I'm sure it works for the vast majority of folks, otherwise you'd hear a lot more complaining. I don't have a crusade against it - it just didn't work for me in this case, and something else is.

Trust me, I wanted to get the L6 stuff working. It was cheap. Just far too unreliable for us. I'm sure it works for the vast majority of folks, otherwise you'd hear a lot more complaining. I don't have a crusade against it - it just didn't work for me in this case, and something else is.
Understood.. the 2.4Ghz band is getting really crowded, so I run wifi analysis at each venue and ensure that our wireless gear (especially the router for remote mixing/IEM control) is not fighting in the same frequency range as other devices in that spectrum.
My guess is with so many going (17?) you were stepping on yourselves and it's not the L6 gear itself. Too many devices trying to operate in the same band with not enough separation...

Reactions: hmj
We're up to 17 now... when we were on L6 gear, we kept ourselves at 12, which was the original density issue. Then the other issues cropped up. Once we moved off of that, we were able to get everyone we need on wireless, which is now 17 :) I was always curious how the G90s would handle that many channels, which I presume would either be crosstalk or dropouts.

Hey folks,
I use 4 GLX-D systems with SM58 transmitters regularly in a high school setting (500 kids with phones on in the room), for PA and for mic-ing wind instruments in a jazz band. If you select the right band (just read your user manual) then interference isn't an issue.
The battery life is awesome (what a great system!) and the sound quality is fine (I haven't done any head-to-heads).
I've also used a bunch of Line 6 products (mostly the XD-V75) for musical theatre stuff and they worked fine, too. I prefer the hardware and interface on the Shures.

The one drawback of the GLX-D is that you can only use 4 at once in normal conditions (you can use up to 8 at once in "ideal" conditions, whatever that means).
Because of that, I figure the Shure is a good option for a group that only needs 4 wireless systems going at any given time. If you need more...

Had g90 in both my bass and guitar rack. Sold both units and got a GLXD for the bassrack and ULXD for the guitarrack. Using Shure PSM900 which lets you mount both whireless and in-ear units together to become one single unit, they also share a same special powersupply which is neat.

Not to hijack here, just curious if anyone had any more feedback. This thread has been a great read thus far. I am debating between the G90 (which many have stated performed flawlessly), GLXD14R (with the rechargeable battery, clutch with a backup battery always in the unit) & the QLX-D14 (spendy but the new hotness).

Back
Top Bottom