Show your Ibanez

These Ibanez guys seem to know what their doing. The Ibanez I first wanted was way back when they did mostly copies. They had a perfect copy of a Gibson L5-S. Saw it in a catalog, but could never find one. I think they are more rare than the Gibsons.

Haha! Thanks! These builds took me a while but I finally got there last week. The hardest part was finding the necks, of course. They have their little quirks but I love the end result.

Absolutely LOVED your T-O-M equipped RG, btw. Is that a LACS/USA Custom of some kind?
That is a JCRG1403-WNB which, as far as I can tell, was a one-off for an exhibition. It took me years to track it down.

I had two more made custom by Ibanez Japan - they had just enough Walnut for two more tops but had to use a different fretboard wood (Macassar Ebony). I also had them remove the tone knob and put the volume where it was.

Last edited:
That is a JCRG1403-WNB which, as far as I can tell, was a one-off for an exhibition. It took me years to track it down.

I had two more made custom by Ibanez Japan - they had just enough Walnut for two more tops but had to use a different fretboard wood (Macassar Ebony). I also had them remove the tone knob and put the volume where it was.
Here are some pics of one of the two-off WNB run:

IMG_0090.jpegIMG_0091.jpeg

Last edited:
’97 7V (I swapped the LoPro for an Edge about 4 years before they stopped putting LoPros on them…..most likely going back to a LoPro, though)
IMG_1896.jpeg

‘98 RG7620
IMG_1900.jpeg

‘05 SZ320 (originally bought as a backup and became my main player for about a decade. Finish courtesy of a blowtorch and the arm contour was done with a screwdriver, a hammer and sandpaper)
IMG_1901.jpeg

My preferences with the Edge/LoPro get into subjective territory and I don’t expect them to align with every player.

I prefer the Edge for lead work, there’s a slight amount of play that I think the extra mass where the fine tuners are located that goes into it, which I believe is the same reason an Edge will flutter a bit more than a LoPro. I can’t put this into smart person terms well enough, but it’s almost as if there’s a bit of play with string tension that I don’t notice with a LoPro, being a really heavy handed picker, I have to be careful playing chords and not hitting the strings too hard to bend them out of pitch, I don’t really have that issue with a LoPro.

being a really heavy handed picker, I have to be careful playing chords and not hitting the strings too hard to bend them out of pitch, I don’t really have that issue with a LoPro
This is where the Edge Zero (and EZII) really shines. It's the perfect trem for rhythm guitarists who like to have a dual-locking system. It's not the smoothest of all, but get all the other acrobatics done while retaining pitch quite well. And all of this without the ZPS. The ZPS is a PITA. Hate that thing.

IBANEZ AAD300CE-LGS
AAD300_1.jpg

Sound samples:

Sounds great also with thin strings (now days i use 010-047 phosphor bronze)
Nice sounding guitar (I don't know others taste for this but for me -> I like ;D )

EDIT: Sadly my Ibanez AAD300CE-LGS had problems.

1. When played with amplified some wires resonate and disturp amplified sound. (fixed).
2. Then 10th fret there was buzz (fixed)
3. Last problem electronic totally failed, no sound (tested with different batteries, wires etc.)
(not fixed and got money back)

So I went back to guitar shop and got my money back.
I felt sad but this is first Ibanez problem I have.

Anyway this guitar had so nice sound and easy to play etc. but sometimes there is bad luck.

Last edited:
I am looking for a semi-hollow, or hollow body electric. I have been looking at the JSM100, and the AS2000. Both are rarely in stock. It looks like the pickups on the other models not made in Japan are the same, but the body and neck woods are different. Does anyone know where the non Japan models are made, and does anyone have first hand experience with them? Given my recent disappointment at the PRS DGT SE (pickups mainly) I am a bit hesitant to go with something not made in Japan or the US, but .... I have also looked at the ES335 but the Ibanez guitars just seem really nice. But not having in person exposure to them makes it a difficult purchase.
On another note, some fine looking guitars on this thread!

Back
Top Bottom