Should I use a mic XLR to connect my AFXII to my FRFR?

tabqwerty

Inspired
I just bought a Mackie HD1531. Is there a major difference with using a mic XLR as opposed to a speaker XLR? Also, would plugging such a high-watted stage monitor into a power conditioner be a bad idea?

Thank you.

I just bought a Mackie HD1531. Is there a major difference with using a mic XLR as opposed to a speaker XLR? Also, would plugging such a high-watted stage monitor into a power conditioner be a bad idea?

Thank you.
There's no such thing as a "speaker XLR". If you are asking about the difference between an XLR cable used on a mic versus one going into an XLR connector on the back of a powered speaker.. there is none. They are the same line- level signal cable.

There is no speaker load carried on the XLR cable into the back of a powered speaker. However, that is not the same as the load going from the back of a power amp into a passive speaker over speaker wire. Let me know if you want an explanation.

And yes, plugging your Mackie's into a power conditioner is a good thing. It will not hurt them. Speaker wattage is a power output rating for a speaker, not an electrical current consumption rating.

Last edited:
s0c9 explained it perfectly.

Yes. Except, technically the signal from a mic is not yet line level until it has been preamplified. Other than that his explanation was spot on. I'm just being super critical though. Lol!

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

Back
Top Bottom